• 1-3 hours

25 39.68%
  • 3-5

22 34.92%
  • More than 5

15 23.81%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Post Thanks / Like
    From what I understand, Clay Magic is the patent holder. Others came out with "cheaper" clay versions. CM sues them and won. That is why the price of clay has skyrocketed!

http://www.automagic.com/PressReleases/June_20_2002.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    To my knowledge, Clay Magic is the patent holder in the United States, but they are not a manufacturer. IRC, clay is mostly manufactured in Japan.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used Megs grey and Griots. I found Griots to be very sticky and difficult to work with, even using plenty of their Speed Shine as lubricant. I purchased some Blue Uber Clay from Detailers Domain several months ago, but have yet to use it. Does anyone know who makes it?
    -brumma

Post Thanks / Like
    I hate spending money on clay. It is probably the most expensive single material that I use during a detail. So I hate spending $ on the shipping. The clay available over the counter is plenty good enough and much cheaper.

I use the Clay Magic Blue and the Mother`s yellow clay. If it`s cold out the CM Blue clay is too stiff for me so I will use the Mother`s clay. I bought about 10 box kits w/ 2 bars of the Mother`s clay about a year ago on a clearance table for $8 each (w/ a MF too). The Mother`s clay will get too soft when it is hot out so I use the CM Blue clay. I liked the Zaino clay but it is too expensive when factoring in shipping. It also fell apart too easily.

The BF Clay extender & Cleaner has destroyed every clay bar I tried it on. It turns to mush. I do not recommend it. Have a 3/4 full bottle of it sitting on the shelf.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used Meguiar`s Blue Mild, Uber Blue Fine and a Zaino Z-18 clay bar. Of the three, I liked the Meguiar`s the best. The Uber clay was very difficult to knead and I haven`t used the Zaino enough to form a real opinion. All 3 were used with ONR as my clay lubricant.

I`ll be trying some of that "yellow clay" later this spring but some home improvement projects are standing in the way of that right now.

Allergic to One Product ZL1Mark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by th0001 View Post
    To my knowledge, Clay Magic is the patent holder in the United States, but they are not a manufacturer. IRC, clay is mostly manufactured in Japan.
    Very true.

Post Thanks / Like

clay bar

try griots clay bar. I have been using it for years. Best of all the ones I`ve tried.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Az View Post
    I noticed something unusual when I was looking at clay bar products in Australia - perhaps you guys in the US could verify this.

Each brand here has patent numbers on the box. They`re all the same, regardless of brand. Clay Magic were the first and are the patent holders. Everyone else has the same patent numbers quoted. This generally only means one thing: Clay Magic manufacture ALL clay bars, regardless of brand. Chances are that there are secret parts to the Clay Magic formula that no one else gets, which is why everyone seems to love the Clay Magic Blue over everything else.

Thoughts?
    Hey everyone, haven?t been in in a long time, the reasons for another time.

There was a good article about this but I can?t find the link right now. Bottom line, Auto Wax Company, Inc. which is now owned by someone else, holds around six patents regarding clay products and they private label for other companies. They own Auto Magic / Clay Magic.

My understanding is that all of the clay being manufactured now either comes from a factory in Japan or from a U.S. licensed manufacturer (until the patent runs). Having said that, I believe companies (like Meguiars, etc.), can have different formulations made. If I remember correctly, there can be differences in the type of abrasive used in the clay, the size of the abrasive particles, the amount of abrasive in the clay, and the color. So companies can vary the types of clay they sell to us. FWIW.
    Never cut what you can untie.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is an interesting discussion where one group all clay is the same and then others remark how they like one brand over another.

Now, when the patents expire, will the prices drop or will individual companies invent marketing reasons to maintain the price and reap the profits.
    Al

Made in USA

Post Thanks / Like
    I have Meguiar`s professional mild clay (blue). I found that it marred the repainted hood of my S2K. I guess I need to find a less abrasive claybar. Sonus?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information