Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think 3M does a pretty good job of bridging the gap between novelty and regular guy waxing. I wouldn`t be surprised if they came out with more similar lines to the ones we all use. Heck I`d buy it, I love that company. I`m surprised their microfibers aren`t better than they are too.

I just wrote this in the Z thread, but yea it boils down to money. But I think that AIO has a chance of taking over the Nu Finish market. Maybe if it came with a coupon for a free 24 pack then they could drink up while they`re waiting 20 minutes between 2 coats

People are surprised that I only wax my car roughly twice a year (carnauba in the summer perhaps) but they basically think I wax it every other weekend, and so when I tell them that you can spend one weekend twice a year and it looks great then it`s worth it. They agree whole-heartedly , but then still don`t go out and buy the stuff, because it`s STILL to expensive and time consuming.
    Pay Attention Klasse!

2000 Satin Silver Passat GLX

Wash This Way

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by DETAILKING [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`> Those companies have much more overhead and might have to sell the product at a higher margin and too high a price.

Or maybe it is because turtlewax already has the majority market share....why change anything?

The products you mention are geared towards a very small percentage of the population. Large company`s are not interested in that. They are interested in selling bulk generic professional products to detailshops by the case, and selling inexpensive car care products that 95% of people will buy over the highest quality polymer products available. Remember, the average person washes their car 4-6 times a year, and waxes 1-2 times a year.....and doesn`t want to spend more than 5 dollars on a wax! [/b]</blockquote>I agree 100%
    Fmr Nascar,Arca & USAC driver

96 Mitsu GST
    02 Vette Z06
    03 S2000

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it is because Turtle Wax and these other big companies want to sell to the normal people. They want to sell supplies to people that really don`t know a lot about car care and don`t want the best shine out there.

Look how hard we work on our cars! Look how hard it is to apply Klasse. You think if Turtle wax made a product that was as hard to apply as klasse any normal person would buy it? (I know Klasse isn`t hard to apply. It is hard to use if you don`t know how though)

People also don`t want to wait for three coats to see a difference. They also don`t want to have to use a polish and then wax. They would prefer to use a one step wax/polish and see instant results.
    2005 F-150 Reg Cab Flareside 5.4L

Chemical Engineers: More refined than the rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Intel, my family members use AIO on their cars and it looks great. I even give out AIO as presents. They all love and use it and it`s easy to use (AIO haze is way easier to remove than SG haze cause AIO is buttery smooth).

(Just sorta resaying what I said before stating examples this time.) BTW, I think Tim had the first chance of ever giving AIO the mainstream treatment, he sells smaller bottles of the stuff for like $10 or something (probably not now, haven`t checked) but that`s the correct idea, IMO.
    Pay Attention Klasse!

Wash This Way

Post Thanks / Like

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by YoSteve.Com [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>Intel, my family members use AIO on their cars and it looks great. I even give out AIO as presents. They all love and use it and it`s easy to use (AIO haze is way easier to remove than SG haze cause AIO is buttery smooth).
    (Just sorta resaying what I said before stating examples this time.) BTW, I think Tim had the first chance of ever giving AIO the mainstream treatment, he sells smaller bottles of the stuff for like $10 or something (probably not now, haven`t checked) but that`s the correct idea, IMO. [/b]</blockquote>
    I was more talking about Klasse SG. AIO is easy to apply. SG on the other hand takes some reading, practice, and time.

I still think a lot of it has to do with the instant gratification. Apply cleaner wax and OMG the car looks awesome right after.

For Klasse you have to AIO, then one coat of SG, then another, then another. Now, after three coats, a lotta work, and atleast three days your car will finally be done. I don`t think many people want to spend this much time on their car.
    2005 F-150 Reg Cab Flareside 5.4L

Chemical Engineers: More refined than the rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    besides all the good reasons given above, there is also a brand image problem. turtle wax owns the market for the most part. further r&d is a waste of money since no one can realistically expect the majority of people to start caring MORE about their cars in the near future than they already do.

so, they`re profitable, and have no need to spend money exploring other options that could POSSIBLY add money to the coffers. remember, the r&d money that the large companies spent has long since paid itself off. now they only have to cover their production costs. so the barrier to entry for a whole new line is probably cost prohibitive and presents another problem....

image. even if turtle wax spent millions developing the ultimate polymer, there is a huge chance that no one would use it. as seen with the shrewd marketing exclusivity of zaino (not a diss, just an observation), people who spend this kind of money on car care products like to feel different than the masses and would probably not trust the turtle wax name. too common. and the loyal turtle wax customers are a low-interest target because they already buy turtle wax and don`t want to spend more than that.

for instance, i hear the viper boards are simply rabid about zaino. do you think any one of those viper owners would ever pipe up and declare how he got better results from "turtle wax Ă…¸ber-poly" than zaino? he would be mercilessly "LOL"ed out of the virtual door.

remember, the market for these high-end products is very small. for the most part, the people who have enough money to spend >$75 for a wax/sealant system would probably rather just pay someone else to detail their cars. very few people like it enough to spend the money AND time to do it.

my boss at my last job was completely obsessive about his sl mercedes. it`s black, so it was very hard to keep perfect. but he sure didn`t spend the time to do it himself. if it took him more than 1/4 of an hour, he would actually lose money because of the cost of his time. now, obviously there are people on this board with very nice cars and, i`m sure, very nice jobs to go along with them. but the difference is, people here LIKE to do it and find it relaxing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Uh - while I see a LOT of valid points here - let`s try to remember these are big, profitable companies.

They *ALWAYS* see the need to make more money. As a matter of fact - that`s the definition of a corporation - their main goal is the maximization of profits.

Like I said - everything else seems about right - but I won`t buy that Turtle Wax said `nah - we could make big bucks like that, but why? We`ve got plenty!`

Post Thanks / Like
    I was only saying that AIO has the ability to become sorta of the elite over the counter product or the easy to use Autopian product. Getting your average Joe to step up a bit, or getting regular Autopian nuts to believe in just 2 coats, will take some convincing.
    Pay Attention Klasse!

Wash This Way

Post Thanks / Like
    my $0.02

Like I said - everything else seems about right - but I won`t buy that Turtle Wax said `nah - we could make big bucks like that, but why? We`ve got plenty!`</blockquote>

I believe TW did not decide to keep away from the "high end" market, they bought Zymol and kept them as a separate entity...
    Now they are in the Super Premium, High profit market of the people who spare no expense on their cars. ($38 to 1k per 8 oz.)

Maybe they decided that the car detailing "enthusiast" (A.K.A. Autopian) in not such a profitable niche because products last too long and we like to experiment so there is not a lot of repeat business to keep those shareholders happy.

Post Thanks / Like

Question time it takes wash n vac customers Sequoia?

how long to wash n vac a toyota sequoia? has 3 rows of seats, it is not waxed either--just started doing this suv and its oxidized -i will do a rinse of top down and wipe with mitt entire top off a 4 ft ladder-of course this includes thorough vac, dusting dash and doors wiping door jambs, doing windows, degreasing wheels and tires, (i use a wheel brush so dust rinses off completely) scrubbed front mats and did minor mist and wiping of door panels seat trim(plastic) and sills and kick panels----car is done once every 2-4 weeks in so cal weather has been nice--i dont believe in the acid spray and rinse since i still need to wipe wheels afterward to get loosened grime off--using a brush on wheels allows me to just wipe water spots after tires are dressed--2 hours time spent start to finish-

\m/:Car smiley:

Post Thanks / Like
    That seems about right to me.
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I`d say 1.5-2hrs is about right.
    Rasky`s Auto Detailing

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Concierge View Post
    That finish is "brill" (british slang for tightness) as in "BRILLIANT" great clarity and gloss!!.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information