Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all,

This girl I go to school with (we know each other pretty well, hehe) has a `92 Toyota pickup and it has those huge stripes down the sides, and she says its starting ot peel a litle and asked if I could get them off.

My first concern here is not getting them off, its what the paint underneath is like. As far as removing these stripes, the theory from everyone is heat up one end with a blow dryer until you can get it to lift up, then peel it back and an angle so that it leaves a minimal of adhesive on there, and keep the blow dryer on the part being peeled back to keep it going. Then if theres adhesive left WD-40 or mineral spirits should take it off. Then a good polish and wax, buffed out to blend it together and protect the paint.

I havent looked at it up close yet, but I plan to look under one of the places where its peeling or look underneath in an inconspicuous area to see what condition the paint is in. If it is beyond any help of buffing or anything, I wont try to do it, unless she can live with the look.

Does anybody have an tips to make the job easier and what all should be done once the stripes are removed? Products to use? Thanks for any help :up

Grant

Post Thanks / Like
    More than likely the paint underneath the decal will not have faded from the sun so will be darker...I would expect the condition to be good due to the decal protecting it unless it was chipped or something.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve yanked decals off cars and the paint is always a different shade underneath. I imagine white would be the most forgiving color but on a 10 year old truck....... I think you`ll be able to tell.

Personally, I`d use a heat gun instead of a hair dryer. Most hair dryers have temp fuses in them that trigger if the coils get too hot. Prevents idiots from scorching their scalps. I don`t think it will work well enough to soften decal glue. Worth a try, I guess.

Post a pic of your girlie and her truck so we can see how much decaling needs removed.
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    "Kristi, can I take a picture of you and then before and after pictures of your truck? The guys on the car detailing website want to see."

LOL!

I went out and examined the stripes today, and they really arent all that big. The reflections off the paint make it hard to tell how big the stripes are from a distance. They are 2-3 inches tall and stretch from the front of the doors to behind the rear wheels. The color of the truck is black, so if there is a big difference its gonna be pretty obvious on that color, right? There was a few small chips in some places on the stripes, and from what I could tell everything looked pretty much the same, but I didnt really get down there with a magnifying glass or anything. She lives down a gravel road, so its usually dusty, so that should cover up any difference fairly well

But really, they look like they should be really easy to take off, but I`m not worried about that. The paint is my main concern. I`ll know what the condition underneath is like pretty soon.

On a side note, she said her dad wants the stripes off too, but wants just regular pinstripes, so she wants me to go along with her and find a place that sells some, HEHEHE. She`s been coming to me with all her car questions. Dont ya just love it

Post Thanks / Like
    Its me again I picked up some #7 and #26 yesterday, and was wondering what all I could use to try to maybe even out the paint. Havent yet took the stripes off, but should soon. My list of current things that I think might help are as follows:

NuFinish

Scratch X

KIT Scratch Out

Meguiars and Mothers cleaner wax (paste & liquid)

And a Wen buffer I found in the shop Has a 6" pad on it now, but I also have a 7" one for it.

I have AutoZone and Advance Auto`s near me, and can probably get to a NAPA somewhere, if I need something like FI or FI-II.

With this list of stuff, can you all give me some tips on how to try to make the area under the stripes less noticeable? Any locally available products I might need? Thanks for all your help :up

Grant

Post Thanks / Like

Making your mitt safer

I have a few mf wash mitts. A couple of them dedicated to Sky get machine washed after each use. The elastic in the band began to crack and the band was brittle so I trimmed them off. Now I can slip my hand in and out easily. Before I used to find myself not even putting them on my hand during a wash.

Just take a pair of scissors and carefully trim away the band without cutting the remaining stitch. Then remove the leftover threads and elastics to make it look like this.

Post Thanks / Like
    i do that when i use a sheepskin mitt, i cut off the cuff so i don`t have to worry about it dragging against the finish...

Post Thanks / Like
    good idea!!!
    Dwayne

Post Thanks / Like
    And you accuse me of looking for a Kahuna Ticket?
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    I was going to sew it on the inside.
    Al

Made in USA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw5541 View Post
    Get`em... Barry...I was thinking the same thing....only advantage Corey has on us is, he is uploading photos....he has one thing on his mind
    Kahuna !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw5541 View Post
    LOL! I simply thought some would like to see my wash mitt :Innocent:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wendell jarvis View Post
    Get`em... Barry...I was thinking the same thing....only advantage Corey has on us is, he is uploading photos....he has one thing on his mind
    Kahuna !!!
    :judge: I find myself guilty as charged by the both of you! :judge:

I did attempt to add some function to my posts (errr most of my posts) and like you say I did take pictures and post them.

I think a vote is in order! For "informative" threads started with one picture 50 points each! What say you?

Thread Information