Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Do any of you ever use touch-up paint for little knicks and cuts that can`t be removed? If so, can you polish and wax immediatly or does it need time to cure?
    -Chuckmotor

Post Thanks / Like
    For the touch up job to be done correctly you must fill the chip with very thin layers of paint. I let the layers dry for 24 hrs just to be safe. Then it needs to be leveled (wet-sanding) and then coupounded to remove the sanding marks. Then use a finer polish to remove the compounding marks.

If you can do all that correctly you can`t even tell the chip was there. :up
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    These are laquer paints, not high solid/low solvent like the factory applies.

So, dry time is short and 24 hours is plenty.

Ketch

:up
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you know a good source of info on how to properly repair paint chips?

Your own tips?

Ive heard of using a toothpick to put the paint in instead of that brush it comes with. I want to fill some paint chips in my hood... Is that langka stuff anygood. I`ve also heard of these new pens with paint to fill paint chips. Ill post the link...

Here is that link for the touch up pens...

http://www.autosharppen.com/

I also would like to hear a good way to touch up paint chips, they are building up on my hood

Post Thanks / Like
    First you need to clean the chip with something like Prepsol to remove any wax or sealant in the chip. Filling the chip with a toothpick is a good idea. You must go in thin coats, not one thick one. It may take several thin coats to fill the chip. I would allow 12-24 hours of dry time between each layer just to be safe. Fill the chip a little above the clear. Then you will need to level the chip, wet-sanding with a wet/dry sandpaper. I like 3M Imperial Wet/Dry 1500 grit. Wet-sand VERY SLOW. Don`t go fast or you may go through the clear. Then once you are done wet sanding you need to compound to remove the sanding marks, some thing like 3M Perfect-It Fine Cut Rubbing Compound works well. Once you are done with that you need to remove the compounding marks with something like 3M SMR.

This can be a slow process, don`t try to rush anything or you will not like the results you get.
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    AlBoston, I have used Langka on friends cars for about a year. It is good stuff for the average car, but it (in my experience) does not deliver the results that most of the folks on this board expect. While better than having a chip, it is still noticable.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe that there are detailed instructions in the forum archives and/or detailing tips. Do a search on Chip Repair.

While I`m at it, are there any additional steps to take for a 2 bottle paint. VW includes the paint and clear when purchasing touch-up paint.

How high should I let the color get before putting on the clear? How many coats of clear?

Post Thanks / Like
    What I would add though is--->

Once the chip is leveled out ( this might take a few coats) apply a few coats of clear. Then follow SL`s advice of leveling and polishing. Also, I would wait about 3-4 hours between coats of paint. As RON stated it is a fast drying paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by AlBoston [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>Here is that link for the touch up pens...

http://www.autosharppen.com/

I also would like to hear a good way to touch up paint chips, they are building up on my hood [/b]</blockquote>
    According to the site they do not use lacquer paint but the paint the manufacturer uses. So you may get a closer match if you go this route.
    http://www.autosharppen.com/benefits.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a link to a site I found a while ago. It is the most comprehensive article I have found on how to do a proper touch-up.

http://www.vtr.org/maintain/scratch-....html?clkd=iwm

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good article. You might find even more info on paint touch ups using the Search key and/or using David Bs touchup article. Great sources of info. Laters

Post Thanks / Like

Drying wash mitts

I saw this tip somewhere but decided I would share it again for some reason.

It is a bent up clothes hanger.

DSC_1829-2
    Al

Made in USA

Post Thanks / Like
    I have one of those hangers that has the little metal snap on each side. I use that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information