Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Do any of you guys use products from "The Wax Shop"? I have been using Safe Cut and Super Glaze for several years. They are very easy to apply. However, the wax does not seem to last very long (carnuba). I was just curious considering I never seem to see any reference to their products on this board.

highlander

Post Thanks / Like
    I had used the carnuba a few times and found it produced a good shine that quickly deteriorated. I found Blitz to be more durable and Pinnacle to have a glossier shine.

All in all, however, I rate it above average.

I haven`t had the opportunity to test their other products although I would really like to. If you have experience with those products and can compare to others we would like to get your feedback.
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Serious no BS kinda guy forrest@mothers's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Wax Shop was a performance industry brand which was purchased by Turtle Wax a few years ago, and most of the product line reformulated. Their Super Glaze was renowned for being easy to apply and remove, even in cold weather.

The carrier was xylene, which has such a low flash point (about 32ºF, if memory serves me correct) that it would set up when it was cold enough to snow. you could also drop a match in it and make yourself a fire to keep warm. The downside was the short life, but, since it was so easy to work with, many folks overlooked the longevity.

Formulae are different nowadays, and the product has all but disappeared from the market. I tried to buy the company, but the Turtle folks beat me to it. For what it is (a quick easy to use product), it works well. Many of the 50+ street rodders used it and still swear by the original version.
    forrest

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used the Super Glaze on and off. I don`t believe there has been any change in formula. It is a good option in the winter if you don`t have a heated garage. Good shine but doesn`t last very long.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its some nasty stuff. I can be harmful if inhaled and can irritate the skin. I am surprise they would use it in a product that comes in contact with the hands and not be required to put warning labels galore on it!

Anyhow, forrest is right on. The flashpoint though is around 80 F, and that basically is the temperature in which it can sustain a temperature in air in the pool of liquid. For comparison, gasoline`s flashpoint is like -40 F.

It works down to 25-30 F because of its high volitility and vapor pressure properties. Basically it evaporates FAST and in cold temperatures. It`s a strong solvent, its used in the coatings industry to soften resins for application, and in my experience with it, for cleaning goo-y prepolymer slob from packing machine parts in a polymers plant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Years ago Wax Shop Products were well promoted at NHRA National Events. I tried both the Super Glaze and Safe Cut. The Super Glaze gave a brilliant finish but as noted above the durability was non existent. Safe Cut was a good product for polishing out minor blemishes and performed as advertised very well.

I gotta say it`s nice to have Forrest on board with his handle on the industry. Here in Canada Wax Shop products are still available through Part Source.

Serious no BS kinda guy forrest@mothers's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`m 99% certain it was xylene. If not, it was one of the other `zenes (toulene, benzene, something like that). The carrier was also the method for cleaning the paint.

I had one of the old glass bottles aroud here, but threw it away last fall when doing some belated spring cleaning. The later plastic bottles would panel (collapse) from the ingredients.

There used to be a warning on the bottles about the `zene, but it`s since disappeared when it was reformulated 3 times back.

Still, lots of folks like it for a quick and easy. It`s like a slightly more permanent QD.
    forrest

Post Thanks / Like
    i`ve used their products - Safe Cut, Super Glaze, Slick Stuff(QD), and Polishing Compound. Safe Cut and Super Glaze are just about average by my book. Like everyone else said, Super Glaze is real easy to work with but durability is low. I still Use their Slick Stuff QD and Polishing Compound. To me, Slick Stuff is the best QD i`ve ever used; the only reason i don`t use it that often anymore is `cuz i can`t find it locally and they don`t sell it by the gallon anymore. Too expensive to order a bunch of 22oz. bottles when i can get One Grand Show Off for $20 - $30 a gallon. Slick Stuff smelled great, was super slick, and i never ever saw it smear - even on black in the heat. though I didn`t try that often. AS for the Polishing Compound, it works pretty good. I`d rate about middle of the road as far as aggressiveness. Works well for light to medium oxidation and minor paint problems. Leaves a smooth surface with a good shine ready for some follow up with your fav wax. I do dearly miss that Slick Stuff though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sonnydaze1
    i`ve used their products - Safe Cut, Super Glaze, Slick Stuff(QD), and Polishing Compound. Safe Cut and Super Glaze are just about average by my book. Like everyone else said, Super Glaze is real easy to work with but durability is low. I still Use their Slick Stuff QD and Polishing Compound. To me, Slick Stuff is the best QD i`ve ever used; the only reason i don`t use it that often anymore is `cuz i can`t find it locally and they don`t sell it by the gallon anymore. Too expensive to order a bunch of 22oz. bottles when i can get One Grand Show Off for $20 - $30 a gallon. Slick Stuff smelled great, was super slick, and i never ever saw it smear - even on black in the heat. though I didn`t try that often. AS for the Polishing Compound, it works pretty good. I`d rate about middle of the road as far as aggressiveness. Works well for light to medium oxidation and minor paint problems. Leaves a smooth surface with a good shine ready for some follow up with your fav wax. I do dearly miss that Slick Stuff though.

If I`m not mistaken, the Slick Stuff QD formula is the new Turtle Wax Ice QD formula, but I could be wrong. I think I heard that when I was in Advance Auto Parts looking for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by forrest
    I`m 99% certain it was xylene. If not, it was one of the other `zenes (toulene, benzene, something like that). The carrier was also the method for cleaning the paint.

I had one of the old glass bottles aroud here, but threw it away last fall when doing some belated spring cleaning. The later plastic bottles would panel (collapse) from the ingredients.

There used to be a warning on the bottles about the `zene, but it`s since disappeared when it was reformulated 3 times back.

Still, lots of folks like it for a quick and easy. It`s like a slightly more permanent QD.
    I dont know what solvent Wax Shop used,but after buying it Turtle Wax changed the solvent to a solvent that they used. This I heard from a Turtle Wax chemist. In the summer they would test new products on employee cars in the parking lot, and when I was in the area I would stop and watch.

Post Thanks / Like
    This thread is only 6 years old :laugh: .

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZaneO
    This thread is only 6 years old :laugh: .
    And from what I remember, Turtle Wax cancelled the line last year, so any product you find is going to be "not fresh."
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Post Thanks / Like
    I liked the Slick Stuff as well since seemed to cut down on static.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought the new version of Race Glaze (their wax) but never used it. I have it sitting in my storage.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by forrest

It wasn`t Xylene as it was a solvent that`s a low flashpoint mineral spirits called VM&P naptha in some circles. It had a similar flashpoint of xylene but not the high aromatic content of xylene.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information