Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I thought that Blackfire had hid the scratches I had on the Accord, but after a few days of rain and 1 car wash, the scratches appreared again. I saw some 3M Swirl Mark Remover at Pep Boys for $10, so I thought I might give it a try, but I remember reading a while ago that 3M SMR leaves hazes on Honda/Acura paints.

I don`t have a PC, so I`ll be doing this by hand with the recommended applicator pad. Does 3M SMR work well by hand?

Could you all please look at the pics and give me some advice on how to hide these scratches?

Thanks in advance!

The first pic is the scratch of the hood.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pic of the door handle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I don`t think SMR is going to do anything with the hood. It might help on the doorhandle though. Also 3M FI-II would probably work well on the doorhandle.

Those scratches on the hood look pretty bad. Can you feel them with your fingernail? If so, you will probably have to fill them and then wet sand. If you can`t feel them you should be able to make it look better with abrasives. But with a scratch like that it will probably take something like Fine Cut Rubbing Compound. Yes, Honda paints don`t react that well with abrasives, so be careful!!
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    The hood one looks deep but pics can be deceiving. IF you can feel it you will probably need at least a PC to remove it or very big arms.

I doubt SMR will remove those scratches I would try though. Try with least abrasive and work your way up till they are gone.

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by ShowroomLincoln [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>Well I don`t think SMR is going to do anything with the hood. It might help on the doorhandle though. Also 3M FI-II would probably work well on the doorhandle.

Those scratches on the hood look pretty bad. Can you feel them with your fingernail? If so, you will probably have to fill them and then wet sand. If you can`t feel them you should be able to make it look better with abrasives. But with a scratch like that it will probably take something like Fine Cut Rubbing Compound. Yes, Honda paints don`t react that well with abrasives, so be careful!! [/b]</blockquote>
    Yes, I can feel the scratches with my fingernail. I guess that`s an indication that it`s pretty deep. Thanks also for the heads up on the Honda paints not reacting well with abrasives.

Post Thanks / Like
    olivher

If the scratch can be felt with you finger nail it can`t be totaly fixed without filling it with paint and then leveling (wet sanding, compound etc). But, you should be able to help the problem. If there is any part of the scratch that you can`t feel you should be able to remove it with abrasives. Also, while abrasives will not remove it, they should make the scratch less noticeable. Make sure you don`t polish too far down or you will go through the clearcoat.

One of my cars was damaged today, so I know how annoying those little scratches can be.
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like

How do you keep all of your equipment organized?

Hey guys in the past couple of months I`ve been accumulating a lot of new equipment and supplies which has been very exciting. But, now I`m trying to figure out the best way to organize and carry everything I may need. I have a set of plastic drawers for my PC and polishes, compounds, glazes, sealants, pads,etc... I try to put all of my regular car wash/interior supplies in my two wash buckets which I then store in my one of two large rubber bins. I`ve been pretty happy with the way I`m storing everything but I want a better way to bring my supplies with me when I`m working. Does anyone have a spray bottle caddy suggestion? I unfortunately don`t have a garage from which I could keep everything on a rack or stand, so mobility is key.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    get a nice cabinet with those plastic drawers. I think there aer pics on these forums soemwhere showing off peoples detailing equpment and a lot of people have thos

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    I started off with cabinets and realized doors are just unnecessary.

Open shelves seems to work very nice, allows you to see all your gear right away and makes taking/putting things back quickly.

For all my large spray bottles I use racks mounted on the garage wall, no need for big bottles to take up shelf space.

Microfiber, for me what seems to have worked out best is a large plastic bin with a lid, just throw all my towels in there and can sift through it quickly to find the ones I need for the task. I keep all interior and other microfiber in a separate container, they never get mixed with MF that touch paint.

I tried the plastic drawer organizers but it takes forever to find the right towel and you really have to fold them to keep the space in line, with a bin its just quick and easy.
    David Saunders

Street Dreams Detail
    Now in San Diego California

..And as for the critics, tell me I don`t get it
    Everybody can tell you how to do it, they never did it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mr CEE DOG,

I like how you store your pads and wash mitts.

Those containers look so clean.
    Nick
    Tucker`s Detailing Services
    2012 Ford Transit Connect
    815-954-0773

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuck91 View Post
    Mr CEE DOG,

I like how you store your pads and wash mitts.

Those containers look so clean.
    Thanks you sir! :biggrin: I definitely keep them spotless and dust free!

Post Thanks / Like
    I am so not organized.
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePriceofPerfection View Post
    I`ve been pretty happy with the way I`m storing everything but I want a better way to bring my supplies with me when I`m working. Does anyone have a spray bottle caddy suggestion?
    I use the Pinnacle Detailer?s Tool Bag. Its a little pricey but holds most everything I need.
    Dwayne

Post Thanks / Like
    Being a little OCD as I am I am always in a quandry as to if I want my supplies organized by Brand or by type of product. I prefer by type of product but it just doesn`t look right with like labels all scattered about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information