Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I am awaiting the "package." Once the package arrives, I will be preforming the following to my newly aquired 99 Mercedes C-280 and want to know which parts I can do by machine:

1. Washing with Dawn to get rid of all the previous wax

2. Using a Clay Bar for the first time

3. Using PPCLP for the first time

4. Applying two coats of AIO (Same day) for first time

5. Applying multiple coats of SG (Over multiple days) for first time

6. Using Blitz from time to time to add depth and kept the shine for first time

I have been reading as much as I can and I must say that I have gotten some great ideas from this site. (Thanxs!!) What I pick up from most of you is that you apply all this stuff by hand. My hat goes off to you. I have a polisher that I have had for multiple years and therefore am very familiar and comfortable with. What products above can/should I be applying with my polisher? If I apply any of the Klasse with the polisher, what amount should I expect to use? I can’t imagine sticking with the 1 ounce per application guidelines that are suggested for hand application. I am not to worried about the PPCLP and Blitz, since I would imagine these will act very similar to other paint preps and waxes that I have used in the past. My concern is with the Klasse products, especially since I usually follow the theory a little too much is better then not quite enough. I always remove everything by hand, so that is not an issue. It just that not only do I find applying detail products via the polisher saves me time and sweat, but it also gives me a more uniform application of the product being applied.

Thanks so much in advance…

Post Thanks / Like
    Steps 3 and 4 can be successfully done with a polisher. But SG is so easy and fast to apply I would do it by hand. It`s more controllable that way, too. Same thing for Blitz, I find it just as easy to do by hand.
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the PC works great with the AIO. I`ve used it PC and AIO with a white pad and a yellow pad. However I strongly suggest that you use the SG by hand. I personally like the Viper MF applicator for laying down the SG by hand.

HERE is a thread that details my learning curve with SG.

http://store4.yimg.com/I/classic-motoring_1666_2199541

Post Thanks / Like
    I am with Brad. PPCL and AIO applied by machine work well -- and perhaps better than by hand. Remove by hand, though.

On the subject of SG, though. Too little is way, way better than a bit too much. In fact, there probably is not such a thing as too little. I like to use foam applicators for SG. A line the width of pencil lead across the top third of a pad (so about two inches long) is enough to do all but the largest panel -- about 2/3 or so of the hood of my Jaguars.

Post Thanks / Like
    PC with PPCL and AIO, both on and off.

Used for Blitz as well, but easy to do either way.

The required quantities for AIO and SG involved a big change in mindset for me, but it really takes very little.

I was detrermined to use my PC for SG, but it just doesn`t work as well as by hand. Almost gave up on the stuff until I tried it by hand. Like michaelb says less is much much better.

LC

Post Thanks / Like
    rmerikle,

One question for you..and this will seem a bit strange. Why the two coats AIO? Now..this is strange..because I have applied two coats myself back in September with my PC. Since that time however I have read many posts which voice a concern over using a polish too often. David B and other senior members seem to feel that AIO twice per year is a good measure. Now..if you apply two coats twice per year..that is actually four times.

If you plan to clay, and PPCL the paint..then maybe one coat of AIO is enough. This way if you AIO again this year you are within that "two coat" per year threshold. You can then layer with the SG.

I plan to change my AIO schedule to one coat, twice per year.

SJ
    "Wax on Wax off"

Post Thanks / Like
    I really don`t see the need to use AIO 4 times a year either. In fact, I`m sure that most here dont.

Post Thanks / Like
    On yosteve`s sight he says:

"Clean your towel again and repeat around the whole car (this may use up the rest of the bottle) any extra amount will be used for windows or wheels if you like."

This is the reason for putting on two coats of AIO. Hey if only one coat works, I can live with that.

Recieved the package from YoSteve yesterday. Talk about fast delivery. The towels are so nice I am afraid to get them dirty. Also the MF Applicator is really cool. Never seen anything quite like it. After looking at these items, I think I will try the AIO with the MF applicator and the SG with the yellow applicator as suggested on his sight. I figure after washing, claying and using the PPCLP that my car will be so soft and smooth that applying this stuff should be fairly easy on the muscles.

Post Thanks / Like

"Looks" QDs vs "cleaning" QDs

Just curious if there has ever been a thread posting peoples opinions on which QDs are better at cleaning and which are better looks-wise. From personal experience, I`ve found M34 and PB S&W to be the best at cleaning, at least from what`s on my shelf. And from my own stock, I haven`t really been able to discern much difference in looks. But I`ve also heard that FK425 and OID are better in the appearance department than others. Anyone feel like chiming in with their experiences or favorites?

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a gallon of FK425 because I heard good things about it. As a general light QD it works fine, a tad smeary compared to some other products but the anti static properties are what sold me on it.

As for being able to clean up the paint, light smudges, light water spots, FK425 is TERRIBLE. I mean it offers little to no cleaning power which is what bothers me about it.

I do really like M34 as a general prep- type QD and something to wipedowns panels when IPA acts up or gets very grabby.
    David Saunders

Street Dreams Detail
    Now in San Diego California

..And as for the critics, tell me I don`t get it
    Everybody can tell you how to do it, they never did it

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Street Dreams View Post
    I bought a gallon of FK425 because I heard good things about it. As a general light QD it works fine, a tad smeary compared to some other products but the anti static properties are what sold me on it.

As for being able to clean up the paint, light smudges, light water spots, FK425 is TERRIBLE. I mean it offers little to no cleaning power which is what bothers me about it.

I do really like M34 as a general prep- type QD and something to wipedowns panels when IPA acts up or gets very grabby.
    Wow, that`s good to know. I bought a gallon of M34 based on recommendations and have been pleased with it. At one point I almost went for some FK425 based on almost fan-boy type praise but for some reason ($) decided against it. Glad I passed.

Post Thanks / Like
    For a cleaning detailer, I like PB`s Spray and Wipe. It is watery so wipes off easy but does not really alter the look. It is a not a gloss enhancer. I also use ONR mixed at QD strength and DP`s Waterless Wash.
    Al

Made in USA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Street Dreams View Post
    David, while re-reading this statement a question just occurred to me. I know M34 is supposed to clean polishing oils to some extent, and you say you use it sometimes in place of IPA. Since it is one of the tougher cleaning QDs, does it have any tendency to hurt the durability of LSPs if used as a touch-up QD as well? TIA

Post Thanks / Like
    The QD I like for cleaning is Duragloss Fast Clean and Shine. For light dust, I like Victoria Quick Deatailer.

Post Thanks / Like
    My opinion:

Best cleaning detail sprays:

1. Z6
    2. Duragloss FCS

Best Show/Slickness detail spray:

1. Z8
    2. Aquawax
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.