Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    95formula, the only step I might consider cutting out is pre rinsing the entire car if you start with the wheels. I don`t run the risk of water spots on the paint while I spend about 15 minutes on the wheels first. I then pre rinse the paint just before I soap it up.

Lanzo, try very very light pressure with ONR. Are the scratches from the wash or the dry?

Post Thanks / Like
    Puckman,

I think the scratches are from the washing with ONR.

My drying technique is basically to lay a MF towel on the wet surface and lightly blot dry. I don`t drag the towel across the surface.

Maybe I am attempting to wash with ONR when my car is too dirty?

I have pretty much quit using ONR as a wash and only use it as a quick detailer.

Post Thanks / Like
    lanzo

I think 2 things are happening to cause your srcatches. One is (you already said it)your letting the vehicle get too dirty for a waterless product. 2, your sponges or mitts are collecting too much dirt.

I know exactly what you mean about the ONR making your mitts dirty . Thats happened to me too .They need to be Washed out with a stronger detergent .

Wash you car more often and keep your mitts clean and I beleive your problem will be solved.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanzo View Post
    I`ve been using ONR for about 9 months now, but I`ve got mixed opinions.

I do like it as a QD, however, when I use it as a wash, I seem to add scratches - not a lot, but enough to bother me. I started using in the winter (in Ohio) as an alternative to a traditional wash.
    Ohio winters are where I prefer a traditional wet wash in order to blast the nooks and crannies and wash the junk down the drain. Then again, I`m working in a heated garage with drains. Everyone can`t.

I had a sprayer filled with a stronger mix for clay lube and grabbed the bottle by mistake once to use as a QD. It actually worked better at that strength, especially if the vehicle is a bit dirtier than you`d usually use a QD on.

When I wash with ONR, I use the two bucket method and grit guards. I use high quality MFs and a sheepskin wash mit or MF wash mit. I do it exactly as the video shows (except I wash and dry in vertical directions on the sides and horizontal on the hood/roof).

Maybe I`m missing something, but I think if I did the same thing as they guy did in the video to a dirty black car, I would have to be swirling the paint? Am I doing something wrong?
    My first experiment with ONR was on a recently polished, winter-dirty black Hyundai. As I was only expecting to do a fender or so for a look-see I used one bucket and a MF, dreadlock mitt. One thing lead to another and I eventually had the whole car done and a resultant putredly black bucket of ONR. Also ended up with an almost black mitt full of ONR residue. Even under those circumstances I had no marring except on the extremely soft plastic painted parts. And that marring was minimal.

Also, I`ve noticed when using ONR, my wash mitt holds a lot more dirt than when with traditional soap - making it more difficult to rinse clean in the 2nd bucket?
    Under most circumstances I have no use for a sponge when washing a vehicle. However, after seeing numerous people touting the Proline Grout Sponge from Lowe`s for ONR use I picked one up for a try. Perfect! It glides over the surfaces, holds the crud and rinses clean without the ONR residue. I recommend it.

I still prefer a traditional wet wash unless the car isn`t really dirty enough to drag out the hose. IME, the difference in time using ONR is minimal. I find myself spending more time than usual doing wheel wells, wheels and tires with ONR. Still, the stuff has it`s uses.

Contrary to what the rest of the world seems to do, I picked up some 4 gallon buckets at a Paint & Wallpaper store... they usually contain 50 lbs of drywall mud. The difference is noticeable when you have to lug a couple of full buckets around the garage unless you`ve got a wheeled caddy. I now use my 5 gallon buckets strictly for ONR. I mix up a double batch and keep a lid on it when not in use. When the level gets down towards the grit guard it`s time to mix up another batch. The other 5 gal bucket is used for rinsing so I only have to deal with prepping 1 bucket for an ONR wash becuase the other one is always ready to go.

TL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information