Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    hey guys, i have a bit of a problem that has me quite perturbed. i know a few of you have m3`s and m5`s on here, so this is a perfect place to ask, since pilot sports were developed for bmw m cars. they also come on alot of s4`s too. anyway, i have a 2001 jetta glx that is just over one year old (bought 9.28.00) and they have factory 17s with the pilot sports. i just had my inspection done with my 20k service, and the tires barely passed, with a tread rating of just 2/32nds. i have had the tires rotated every 5000 miles. this seems a bit unusual to me. is there any chance of me receiving any sort of compensation for this? if so, who do i talk to, and what can i do? i hate the thought of shelling out a grand every 20,000 miles for tires.

thanks for your help

cary

Post Thanks / Like
    If you drive hard they only last 20-25K miles.......as most BMW owners will tell you.

I wouldn`t get them again, they are very expensive and you can get comparable tires that will last longer for less money. Check out TIRE RACK for prices and reviews on comparable tires......

Post Thanks / Like
    I know people who have similar problems with the tires that come on new vettes. One guy I know has 23,000 miles on his 98 vette and he is already on his second set of tires.

There is not much you can do, you will just have to get new tires. But, like DK said, try a different on this time.

Post Thanks / Like
    The estimates given by manufacturers and dealers on the life-time of a tire is under optimal conditions. Take into consideration how you accelerate, how fast you take your corners, and how you stop. Driving habits will affect these estimates.

Don`t be surprised that your tires lasted only 10-15 000 miles. That is quite long in terms of hi-performance tires. 20K is really long. Hi performance tires have a softer compound, and so it wears more quickly than say, all seasons. If you find that your driving habits don`t merit this kind of wear, look into less expensive tires which will suit your driving habits. I mean, there`s no need to buy a $180 tire if you never test its limits...look for something less expensive. Also, other things to consider: alignment and tire pressure. These are things that a lot of people neglect to maintain...

Huy

Jedi Master
    Post Thanks / Like
    Best bang for the buck has to be the Kumho Ecsta 712`s. Love that tread pattern. Definitely, check out Tire Rack for research purposes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, that is actually quite good for those tires! The tires on my Integra only last 8k miles or so! Imagine if the car actually had some power! LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try having a look at http://www.tyres-online.co.uk/tyretest/tests.asp it is a UK site but has collected magazine reviews across europe. I am sure many of these tyres are also in the USA.

Steven
    Alfa 164

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to agree with 99ESMAX, the Kumho 712s are a great tire for the price. I had them on my car for one season and eventually gave them to my son when I put my winter wheels on. I then went with Yokohama Paradas for this season and for a z rated 17" tire They have been great for handling and ride. They were $15.00 more per tire but also have a higher tread wear than the Kumhos. I`m not seeing any unusual wear with 8K miles on them, very happy so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    From what I have seen on M cars, 20,000 miles is pretty good. Most very high performance tires are quite soft and are not going to give you great milage. The posts above have really good advace in terms of better bang for the buck!

Post Thanks / Like

Spray Bottle Question

The Problem: I usually use my spray bottles for different QD?s and an APC, etc. I got a deal on some 32 oz SprayMaster Heavy Duty Spray Bottles, so I pulled the trigger (couldn?t help myself). :cornut:

Over the last 9 months, I have had various problems with the sprayer heads. I gave my wife a couple of bottles and one went on her. They have a 5 year warranty, but if I have to exchange them every 3-4 months, who needs the aggravation? Bottom line, I?m not rough on these bottles, I use them 2-4 times/week. I have a cheaper sprayer/bottle also made by Delta, that I have abused, and it works perfectly. :banghead:

The Question: Now that I got that rant off my chest, my question is:
    1) Which spray bottle(s) do you use/like?

2) What is a reasonable live span of a spray-bottle?

Thanks in advance.

Jon
    Never cut what you can untie.

Post Thanks / Like
    The spray bottles themselves should last you years. (Unless you run them over like me )

As for the sprayers themselves... Best thing to do is after running your chemicals thru them. Take them from the bottle and hold them down in a bucket of water to clear out the sprayer head. This will help you get as much life out of them as humanally possible :Swordfight:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    The spray bottles themselves should last you years. (Unless you run them over like me )
    That could be a thread in itself...what have detailers done.

My UDM fell off the workbench when I tripped over the extension cord and busted the rear plastic housing mounting points (a molded flange) so I just applied tape to hold it together. It still works for now.
    Al

Made in USA

Post Thanks / Like
    I purchased a 3-pack of spray bottles at the local Harbor Freight. There`s no brand name listed on them and I have since discarded the packaging. They were cheap and so far, have worked perfectly.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/retail_stores.taf

Post Thanks / Like
    Your sprayers should last for many years.....

PAC has the Meguiars empty 32 oz. bottles with quality sprayers for $2.99. Highly recommended.:biggrin:

http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo...gsbottles.html

PAC also has black 16 oz. bottles with sprayer included. I couldn`t find them on the website, so call Angelo if you`re interested in them.ancing Dot:
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    ... As for the sprayers themselves... Best thing to do is after running your chemicals thru them. Take them from the bottle and hold them down in a bucket of water to clear out the sprayer head. This will help you get as much life out of them as humanally possible :Swordfight:
    Good idea, why didn`t I think of that? I`m probably going to have to start doing that. I`ve come close to driving over one, thought it was me.

Quote Originally Posted by cmichael258 View Post
    I purchased a 3-pack of spray bottles at the local Harbor Freight. There`s no brand name listed on them and I have since discarded the packaging. They were cheap and so far, have worked perfectly.
    Thanks for the tip and link. There`s actually one w/n a half hours drive, I`m going to call over today, and see if they have any before I visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Luster View Post
    Your sprayers should last for many years..... PAC has the Meguiars empty 32 oz. bottles with quality sprayers for $2.99. Highly recommended.:biggrin: ... PAC also has black 16 oz. bottles with sprayer included. I couldn`t find them on the website, so call Angelo if you`re interested in them.ancing Dot:
    Bill, +2 on the thank you - for the links & tips. I`ll most likely include some Megs or maybe the black bottle on my next order and give them a try. I figured bottles shouldn`t be a big problem ... it`s always the little things that push me close to the edge.

Never cut what you can untie.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information