Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    i just wanted to see what most of u guys use to wash ur car and had the best experience with. im currently using a sheep skin one. but i just got a microfiber one from properauto... and hope it works well...

Post Thanks / Like
    I like 100% Cotton Chenille. I will try the MicroFiber next spring, my only problem with the MF mitts is the price. Let us know how you like the MF mitt.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the best wash ever when using an MF towel. So I assume an MF mitt would work just as well or better.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also prefer the 100% cotton chenille mitts for washing my vehicle. Tim at www.tacscar.com has oversized fluffy mitts that are just great! I also use the cotton chenille bonnets on the extendable pole in the winter when it`s really too cold to put your hands in the water. Buy extra of these if you use the pole, you`ll need them because of the road salt.
    Also use the 2 bucket method of washing, and read the archives on all the great ideas about using the mitts. Like backflushing etc.
    I hve a MF mitt on order to clean between the spokes of my aluminum wheels. I let you all know how that works later. Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Bill Lessard [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>Also use the 2 bucket method of washing, and read the archives on all the great ideas about using the mitts. Like backflushing etc.
    [/b]</blockquote>
    ive heard about the 2 bucket washing method but can u please explain what it really is? im having trouble finding it with search. also, what other "great ideas" are there that u speak of? i dont even know what backflushing means...

Post Thanks / Like
    Backflushing the mitt is quite simple. Every so often, just stick the hose inside of the mitt, squeeze the neck of the mitt around the hose, and squeeze the trigger. That flushes the mitt from the inside out. As the dirt is on the outside, it tends to knock the debris off the mitt. Helps prevent the mitt from loading up with dirt that can scratch the surface of your vehicle. Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Viking Chenille mit and notice that my fingertips tend to tear the foam lining on the inside. Otherwise it works quite well. I also have a lambwool mit from Pinnacle which is also very nice to work with. I don`t know if I can really say one is better than the other, though I am sure others here may have a preference.

H

Post Thanks / Like
    simply stated; you have 2 buckets; 1 for clean water for rinsing and the other bucket for the shampoo. Wash each panel with a loaded chenille mitt, or whatever you prefer and after each panel, rinse the aforementioned washing tool, dislodging any dirt/grime, etc from the mitt minimizing scratches, swirls. Also be sure to use linear motions when washing, bumper to bumper mimicking the way air travels over the car, minimizing swirl makrs.

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    Foam Dispenser Method works well with a mf cloth or mitt.

the advantage to mf is the durability. a synthetic fiber will last longer then a cellulose one
    Pay Attention Klasse!

2000 Satin Silver Passat GLX

Wash This Way

Post Thanks / Like
    I never put my hand in the mitt, I just use it like a big sponge. It`s too much trouble slipping it on and off when it`s wet. Besides I use a cotton glove in a big rubber glove in the spring and the fall to keep from freezing my poor old hands. i just use it like a big old sponge. Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like
    MF mitt for me. Although the chenille mitts do seem to hold more water, the MF mitts are softer to the touch (when wet and soapy) and fray less.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a sheepskin mitt to wash my car.

Works very well.

I haven`t tried the two bucket approach yet.

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried the backflushing after reading Bill`s recommendation of this and it absoloutely works. I briskly rub the knapp of the mitt (chenille) and backflush the mitt each time I insert it into the bucket by holding the cuff open around my hand and dunking it repeatedly. Backflush plus a visual inspection of the mitt eliminates the chance of debris in the knapp. This is one of the best tips you can follow IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Saw this thread and figured I would find out from you guys what you use to wash lower body panel areas - lower half of doors, bumpers, etc. - the areas that get the most dirt from the roads or right after a rain. I have a wash mitt, but I don`t use it on the lower part of the body becuase I don`t want to get it full of grease or tar. I usually use a diaper soft towel on the lower panels and down underneath the edge trim of the car. If I get it way too dirty and it won`t rinse out, I toss it. Is this okay - or do I need to wash the lower portion with something else?

Post Thanks / Like
    Right now I`m using a fairly new Viking cotton chenille mit with a new backup model in the cabinet. However I also regularly wash a truck, minivan and motorcycles too. So I`ve developed a hierarchchial method of arrangement for a my three mits currently in play.

<ul class=`bbcol upper-alpha`>[*] The best and newest mit. Used for washing a car that most people wouldn`t even wash in the first place because to <strong class=`bbc`>them[/b] it looks clean. [*] Number 2 is nearly new and it is used for on the truck or dirty parts of the car like rocker panels. If I use this on lower sections of the car I won`t reintroduce the dirty mit back in the wash bucket.[*] The third mit is deep pile sheepskin that is kept clean but is obviously not new. It is for washing off major dirt and grime that can`t be sprayed off with the hose.[/list]
    I haven`t used the two bucket method but it makes perfect sense. Currently I just mix about 4 gallons of water in my wash bucket with either Meguiar`s 00 High Tech Wash or a gallon jug of 3M Car Shampoo (approx. 1 ounce to the gallon) that way the dirt is highly diluted.

Which ever brand of mit you choose IMO one thing that is important is to get rid of them after awhile or work them down in the lineup so that you are usually working on your pride and joy with a fairly new mit.

Rise and shine!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information