View Poll Results: How Often Do You Clay Bar Your Personal Vehicle?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Every Week

0 0%
  • Once a Month

0 0%
  • 4 Times per Year

8 17.02%
  • Twice per Year

20 42.55%
  • Once a Year

14 29.79%
  • Every 2 Years

2 4.26%
  • Never...

3 6.38%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Post Thanks / Like
    I have clayed my car 4 times since March when I bought it. It is a white xb and the back of that thing gets crazy dirty and crap sticks to it bad. I guess I haven`t clayed the entire car that much, just right when I bought it, but I have clayed the back, and the lower panels quite a bit this year. My lady has a white VW CC and I have clayed it twice and yesterday I spot clayed the back and lower panels. Maybe its just white, it shows so much of the little rust like dots and little black dots that I guess you wouldn`t see on darker colors. So much for getting white so I wouldn`t have to deal with a dark color to keep clean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrass Cat View Post
    That is about the same boat I am in. 1) I don`t like running a machine over the paint without first removing any possible contaminants and 2) I don`t like the idea of sealing contaminants to the paint.
    I`m pretty picky about the two Vettes. Not so much for the daily drivers. I`ll go ahead and seal them without claybar. But claying twice a year, they`re usually not bad.
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will say that my operating environment and wash regimen warrants about once a year. I do check about 3 to 4 times a year and that`s all it needs.

Post Thanks / Like
    I voted 4 times a year, but I have to do it more often. More like every 6-8 weeks. It is either the trees at work or the fact that I work only a few miles from the Airport or some other unknown contaminate floating around where I work, but within a few weeks of being clayed it will need it again.

I don`t mind the claying so much as I hate another opportunity to marr my paint. I really don`t want to touch my black paint any more than I have to.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by supercharged View Post
    twice a year, once in spring, once in fall.
    Typically twice a year for me also....unless she begs for more when I run my hand across her!:wink:

"Detailing Devil Dog" Junkman2008's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I only clay when necessary! The key to claying is knowing WHEN to clay. It won`t hurt to clay the car more often than necessary using consumer clay but it is a waste of energy if it is being done effectively. Here`s an article I put together from various sources concerning this topic. It explains then when and why to clay.

What is the clay bar process, you ask?

Clay Bar is used to remove paint contamination, overspray and industrial fallout.

What is paint contamination?

Paint contamination consists of tiny metal shavings from rail dust, brake dust and industrial fallout. This contamination affects all paint finishes and can cause serious damage when left untreated. Paint contamination can be felt as a "rough or gritty" texture on the paint`s surface and can lead to tiny rust spots. This contamination can not be removed by washing, waxing and/or polishing. Check out the three stages of paint contamination.

Stage 1:

Metal shavings land on the paint`s surface.

Stage 2:

Shavings start to oxidize.

Stage 3:

Rust spots forms in the paint.

Where does it come from?

There are three major causes of paint contamination:

1. Rail dust - produced from the friction of train wheels against railroad tracks. Over 70% of new vehicles are shipped by rail. Rail dust can contaminate a new car`s finish before it even reaches the dealership. Anytime a vehicle is parked or travels near a railroad it is subject to rail dust contamination.

2. Brake dust - particles produced from the friction of brake pads rubbing against the rotor. This metal on metal friction disperses tiny particles of bare metal into the air and on the highway where it collects on passing vehicles.

3. Industrial fallout - another word for pollution, industrial fallout is a byproduct of our modern industrial age.

Testing for paint contamination:

After washing and drying your vehicle, put your hand inside a plastic sandwich bag and lightly run your fingertips over the paint`s surface. It should be as smooth as glass. If your car`s surface has a rough, gritty or pebble-like texture, it indicates the presence of paint contamination. This should be removed with a clay bar before applying a polish or wax.

Removing Paint Contamination:

There is no wax, natural or synthetic, or any chemical treatment that can prevent or protect against this contamination. Compounding with an abrasive polish may remove paint contamination but it can only be performed a few times before removing too much of the top, clear coat finish. This is why the process of claying is required. Claying removes these impurities without removing your clear coat. It is the safest, most effective way to do so.

Claying is a simple process, although you may have to exert a little energy. The secret to proper claying is to keep the area that you are working on wet at all times. Not doing so makes the claying process difficult and it also causes marring of the paint. The amount of pressure that you apply is directly proportional to how bad the paint is contaminated. A 10 year old car that has lived in a driveway all of its life is going to require a little more scrubbing than your new car that you have just driven off the car lot.

The object of claying is to get the paint as smooth as glass. Work in small sections (1 foot square areas). Once you get a section smooth as glass, you move on to the next section. Work in small areas so that you don`t miss anything. Here`s a short video of me claying an area of a bumper in which a deep scratch resides.

Claying Video

The claying process itself does absolutely nothing to remove swirls or scratches.
    It simply removes the impurities from the paint as stated before. Claying is a very important process when necessary, and contributes effectively to obtaining that deep, glossy shine.

When should I clay?

Only when your finish fails the baggie test described above. Some folks clay their finish too often. It is not a set in stone step with paint maintenance, it is only required if your paint needs it. A car that stays garaged, covered and not driven often is not going to get clayed as often as a car that sits in a driveway night and day, in a dusty or dirty environment. I have personally clayed my car once, a year and a half ago. It of course is the first car in the scenario above.

Now that you realize when and why to clay your finish, all you have to do is inspect your paint. Performing the claying process in the shade or indoors helps keep your lubricant from drying to quickly. Try and do so if possible. :thumbsup:

The Junkman

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information