Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Pressure Washer

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, first post and already 4 pages! Just kidding, a little off the original question but good reading nonetheless.

So Ron, I would be interested in what you think of Klasse All in One and Sealant Glaze, if you would?

Thanks to all for the replys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good products, polymer resin based.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like

Pressure Washer

For those of you who use a pressure washer for detailing purposes, what should one look for when purchasing a pressure washer? (i.e. psi, gpm, electric, gas, etc.)

Also, any brand and model recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank you in advnace,

Doc

Post Thanks / Like
    i have a craftsman with a 6.5hp briggs and stratton motor that puts out up to 2500psi. one probably doesn`t need that much for detailing but i use mine for around the house too... love it with the foam cannon too..

Post Thanks / Like
    Depends on what you plan on using it for. For just doing your own car a small electric model would be fine. If you own a home you could spend a little more and upgrade to a smaller gas model. You could use that for pressure washing decks, concrete, siding, your lawn mower, etc. If you are only washing cars the GPM and PSI isn`t too important. 2000-2500 psi is plenty for most chores and you could get by with less for cars. GPM is only really important when you are looking at really large cleaning jobs such as washing trucks and houses.

just my 2 cents.........

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had a couple of them over the past 15 years or so; gave one to my son-in-law, and someone stole it from him, so I just have the one Devilbiss unit. Its a 2.0 gallon per minute, and its adequate for washing almost everything on vehicles, and if held too close to the finish, it will damage it.
    You want to look out for pinstripes, edges of clearbra`s, etc,
    If you really wanted the most pressure for other things like say cleaning down concrete, wood decks, etc., the more gpm, the better.
    The 3gpm and higher units cost alot more - several hundred dollars more -, but you get what you pay for.

Looks like Home Depot sell alot of good ones, find one with a Honda engine, and you are never going to have to work on it, but the Briggs/Stratton engines work fine too, and this is not a tool you will be using every week anyway, right?

This tool greatly speeds up things like cleaning engine compartments, and undersides of hoods, etc., wheel wells, etc., just be careful, and like any other tool that has high pressure, motion, etc., keep it moving, watch the distance to the target, and think about what you are doing at all times..

One last thing, dont ever use a pointed straight jet on anything that is capable of being damaged by it. I prefer to use a small fan jet for cleaning vehicles and mind the distance away it sprays very carefully.

Better to be more conservative when using it then, than less.

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like
    glfahlc, rockymountaindetail, stokdgs, thanks for your replys. I also appreciate the suggestions for proper use.

Dan F - By your explanation I assume you have a gas powered unit???

Post Thanks / Like
    When it comes to pressure washers, you always get what you pay for.

The engine manufacturer can make a huge difference. The Honda`s always do better than the Briggs. My pressure washer has a Honda GX and it runs great. Even the Honda GCV engines do pretty well. We always have a few of the low end Briggs returned because of engine problems.

The pump is just as important as the engine. AR, Cat, Cam Spray, and Generac are all very good. Be sure to look for the tag or ask the salesman. If you have hard water or before winter storage, use a pump saver type liquid. It helps protect the pump and extends the life.

My pressure washer is way overkill for washing cars, but I wanted something that would last. It has a Honda GX200 engine with an AR pump - 2.8 GPM and 3000 PSI.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of great info on this. One thing I`ve always been told is that the CAT Pumps are the best, obviously a bit more expensive, but again, sometimes you get what you pay for and the pump is pretty important.
    2012 Acura TSX Special Edition, Crystal Black Pearl
    2007 Volvo XC90 Sport, Passion Red

Post Thanks / Like
    Doctordon,

Yes, these have been gasoline powered machines on wheels.

Other things I thought of, are - you need a long trigger pull wand with the ability to add a longer tube to the end of it; they make all sizes of these tubes. The longer tube allows you to put the end of it down into the engine compartment away from the more fragile stuff on top, and clean it really good of the gunk that always seems to collect at the bottom of engines whenever oil/fluids, etc. leaks and gravity takes over.

My engine cleanups always come out looking as good as the day it was installed, because the pressure washer gets about everything out very quickly. You still need to be careful and keep it moving, wear some type of glasses so that the water doesnt come back up and hit you in the eyes..

And of course, the pumps are very important, you can find replacement pumps on the Internet, if you ever have one go bad. I agree that keeping the pump free of gunk is important - guess you can run some white vinegar through it every now and then and that would help keep the orifices clean?

Good luck with your research.
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Husky Pressure washer from home depot... the honda gas engine on it is nice but the pump is junk. After a few uses it dies as soon as I let off the trigger now. I don`t know what that means and I never used the stuff your suppose to spray through the pump before storing it. So it`s probably my fault it broke.

Anyone know if this can be fixed or what breaks to cause this?

I bought a cheap taskforce electric pressure washer from lowes and it works well enough for washing cars. I have to set the stream to fairly narrow to get the kind of pressure necessary to clean off debris such as bug guts. But I love not having to constantly start and stop the pressure washer.

Also, my electric came with a turbo nozzle.. where it basically swivels a perfectly straight stream. It`s surprisingly strong. I tried it on concrete and cleaned it up as good as my gas powered. I am afraid to use it on my paint cause it`s so strong.. anyone use one of these?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have Karcher that I got from Costco, $150. I love it!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Strs90 View Post
    I have a Husky Pressure washer from home depot... the honda gas engine on it is nice but the pump is junk. After a few uses it dies as soon as I let off the trigger now.
    Is it dying after a few minutes of use or whenever you release the trigger to stop spraying? If it dies when you release the trigger, there might be something wrong with the unloader valve.

The turbo nozzles are fantastic and are worth every cent. But, I wouldn`t use it to wash a vehicle.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information