Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pressure Washer

Post Thanks / Like
    The post that I referred to earlier where Ron K explained why putting a "flex agent" in a paint protectant or sealant is a bad idea, is here:

http://autopia-carport.com/forum/sho...3?threadid=663

Here, Ron K presents a pretty straightforward, informative, and logical argument on this subject...I don`t see any personal references or insults in any of the man`s posts in the above-mentioned thread.

As far as whether or not Ron K. "trashes" people--it is irrelevant to this argument. For what it`s worth--in my experience he`s always given me polite and careful replies to my questions. Maybe others have had different experiences--I don`t know.

Regardless, I don`t see what Ron K`s demeanor has to do with what I`m saying--i.e., that the man posseses a great deal of technical knowledge about detailing techniques, detailing chemicals, auto paint, etc. etc.

My reply to RIC was to refute his insinuation that Ron K. doesn`t know what he is talking about. If RIC or anybody else has a problem with his demeanor--they should comment on that, rather than commenting on the man`s knowledge--unless they can refute what Ron K. is saying--and I ain`t seen that happen yet.

JS

Post Thanks / Like
    The post you are referring to talks about flex agents in paint. Do you know what kind of flex agent is in Zaino? Did Ron chemically analyze Zaino and find that there is no flex agent? All Ron does is explain why the paint flex agents would not make sense in a paint sealant in his opinion.

JS writes, "unless they can refute what Ron K. is saying--and I ain`t seen that happen yet."

Zaino definitely does contain a flex agent.

This is Ron`s background from his website:"He has an extensive business background in many sales and marketing fields ranging from writing instruments to automotive chemicals."

I don`t think he even has a chemical engineering degree...correct me if I am wrong. From what he writes, he gives the impression that he does.

[Edited by RIC on 07-27-2001 at 07:36 PM]

Post Thanks / Like
    Really, who cares whether you "disrespect" Ron K. or about how he had the "audacity" not to take "Sal`s phone call". Why don`t you, or Sal, or somebody refute his points instead of worrying about that kind of stuff.
    JS

Post Thanks / Like
    Another ad hominem attack. Have YOU chemically analyzed Zaino? How do you know it does have a "flex agent" in it. Because "Sal told me so", that`s how.

As far as whether or not Ron has a chemical engineering degree--that doesn`t mean the man doesn`t know his business.

My Father (now retired) was a chemical engineer with IBM for over thirty years. Held several patents for chemical processes used to develop and manufacture electrical wiring and semiconductors--but he didn`t have a chemical engineering degree either.
    JS

Post Thanks / Like
    Ron K. knows his stuff. Period. He knows more than most of us for sure. Very friendly guy. Always eager to help out when he can. For the most part, very positive and extremely informative. He has helped many of us out with specific issues, specific models, specific paint issues on specific issues, specific leather problems, etc.....I don`t care if he has a chemical or nuclear engineering degree or what. He knows his stuff. Whether he acquired that knowledge via a degree or with extensive work with the big 3 automakers, I don`t care. He knows his stuff and that`s all that matters. Laters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Re Ron K, an earlier poster in this thread wrote:

"Nor have I found him to look down on others."

If you do a search on the word "monkeys" and "Ron Ketcham" you will find a post where Ron said the following in reference to employees who clean cars:

"When you have 46 monkeys, working in the heat, humidity etc, they don`t pay attention . . . but the QC Supervisor does."

[Edited by darbh on 07-28-2001 at 02:31 AM]

Post Thanks / Like
    This would never have happened.....hehe

Sorry.....this thread is starting to make me laugh.....LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    RH, yes I got upset with you once. I didn`t think a response you gave was appropriate. You didn`t offer any good advice, you just criticized. Ron may be rough around the edges, but he gives good quality advice in all his replies. Our opinions differ. Maybe I misunderstood the context of your post. Let`s let bygones be bygones my man. I`m not here to make enemies, only perfect my detailing skills.

And yes I do like Ron K. He has given me alot of helpful advice. He may not come across as the most politically correct person, but you know what, he`s just a human being like the rest of us. He`s not perfect. Nor am I, nor are any of us. He has his own distinct personality, like the rest of us. Some like it, some don`t.

To each his own.

Post Thanks / Like
    I seemed to have lost track of the topic here???????
    D.C.T.

Post Thanks / Like
    First, I will not attempt to defend what I know from over 30 years in the business of vehicle care, wether painting them or providing consulting and products to the vehicle manufacturers.

I have a staff of chemical chemists, they are my base source, but I will tell you this.

When it comes to what is the substrate, what is it made of, etc that the manufacturer`s vendors are providing, they are out of the loop. My Tech Director and I gather this information, work with the manufacturers engineers and toxology staffs etc. We do the base, starting formulas and then pass them on and work with the chemists to meet the requirements of the vehicle manufacturers.

Tell me of one other that posts here regularly that can do the same! You may not agree or like some of the information, but it comes from the real sources, not a chemist or sales force. Read and weep.

As far as the "monkey`s" comment, understand that we at AI and our sub company, AP deal in the real world, vehicles from dealers and owners. Our employees are not college graduates, but "entry level" or just out of the pookey and need a job, one that requires they perform trainable, repeatable processes, not the sort that are anal about the results. Kind of like a fast food place. You don`t get filet migon at McDonald`s.

It is a common term for the new hires, the ones we know will not be around for more than 90 days no matter how high the pay. Pay them a grand a week and they would only last a week. To much money for the drugs.

Fact of life, folks.

So, I used that term "monkeys" because after 30 years of baby sitting these types, not all, but enough of them, don`t have much respect for most. We train them to do simple things, no rotary buffing, etc, just trainable, repeatable processes.

Just like training a dog to sit up and and roll over. Don`t expect loyality from most, just want them to at least call in the day they are too hung over or drugged out.

The daily control of these is up to the supervisors, but it is a business, hope you all understand that.

I am not policticaly correct, Ford, GM, DCX, Honda, Toyota,Nissan, VW/Audi,BMW, etc know that. But they also know that I will call it as it is, not in the "gee, will this make you happy?" bull, they respect that. Guess because they have plenty of "yes" types, the ones that sweep the concerns under the carpet, let another take the heat.

Just returned form SoCal on a trip paid for by one of the larger imports to explore and address a major paint and trim concern on around 4,000 vehicles. They paid for the trip, the expenses and a daily fee of $500.

Do I make a living from what is said or thought of me here?? No, don`t expect to, just am a gearhead and like to share with you all, that which the car manufacturers pay me to learn and share with them.

Want me to start charging???

Would doing so make my posts more acceptable???

Would doing so make some of the little chemical companies that market to consumers look a bit behind the eight ball??

Yes it would, but that is not why I am here,so I choose to not do that unless something is so phoney or off base that it begs to be addressed.

Nough said.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like
    One of the companies I own employs lower income workers. Our management has a positive and respectful attitude towards these individuals. Most -- of course, not all --are hard working and want to provide for their families. Some want an opportunity to advance, which we provide to them. Some do not work out, of course, but that does not change the basic attitudes we have towards them. We have found that management`s attitudes towards workers, which includes basic respect, and the environment we create, has a large effect on their behavior.

If a worker senses that management expects that he is a (fill in the blank), he will often accomodate that expectation. If he senses that management thinks higher of him, he will often rise to that expectation. Of course, this does not always happen and to think it would is living in a dream world. But, it is an attitude that produces better results that putting out a negative expectation, which people will then often give you.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with you, but then I am 57 going on 58.

THis is a forum, one which is visited by a large percentage that are much younger than I.

I find that mentoring is very important, to share knowledge, to share input, to help the younger ones grow.

You mention "the company you work for or such", and what may I ask is the industry that the company is part of?

If one has never spent weeks and months and years in the "car clean up business", been around the total industry, they will lack the experiences that can cripple mentally most.

Drive down into a getto on a Friday nite, visit the local jail on a Monday morning. That is a concern that can not be swept under the carpet. These are the majority of human beings who are available to a "car cleaning" production employer.

We try, very hard to raise them up, to instill a sense of purpose, direction. But, unfortunately, as with the various govermental agencies, etc, we fail.

I am being honest as I can with you and others. This is why we at AI started the Trusted Professional Detailers organization, certification program, the reason that the vehicle manufacturers are slowly taking part and aiding us in growing the group.

Perhaps, just perhaps, if we can set an accepted standard, training, etc, the bar will be raised.

As I said, here is a forum, one that I have those who are pro for me and those who are con for me.

This is not my life, nor is it my means of livelyhood, just a gearhead, with more years in the real side of detailing than most are old.

Also an ex-jarhead, so that makes me even more of a hardhead than most can deal with.

Oh, so sorry, that is policticaly incorrect, "former memeber of the Armed Forces of the United States of America"!(where in the 60`s you did as directed, as ordered, and damn those who didn`t wear the uniform or fight the battles to protect their rights as an American. You just did the job wether you agreed or not, at least,

the country is still here and that allows all to voice their opinions, which is what I fought for.)

I sincerely hope that this is taken in the vein that I intend it to be taken. Each here is an individual, of what ever country, race or nation, and the way I look at it, we are here to share,not to inflame or kick another in the "private parts."

If I offended someone, then stand up, give me a call and let`s clear the air in private, the world is to big and busy to be "little".

Post Thanks / Like
    But as RIC said, you hung up on him....twice........

Post Thanks / Like
    Your buddy had called me months before asking that I lay off providing information regarding factual chemical components, information that is available to any who wish to spend some time researching various chemical component fact sheets as provided by the suppliers,chemical dictionaries, etc.

The phone calls you are referring to were by him to berate me for continuing to provide information that he felt was not in his best interest and after 2 minutes of his bull, I hung up.

That is the straight line, live with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your post. I have said that I think we should avoid commenting on posters, personally, but I must say that I thought your post to me was sincere and candid. You have my respect for being so open. I was impressed.

To answer your questions, 1. I am 52 2. The company is located in East Los Angeles. East LA is hispanic. We hire people off the street, no experience required. Most of the work involves crawling under houses, running wire (for alarm systems).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information