Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    I would never trust the schmitt for ONR or QEW...

Here you go Bill...

Thanks Pat.... I haven`t tried the grout sponge, but I`m going to pick some up this weekend.
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I still haven`t been sold on this ONR method, seems to go against everything I`ve ever known(Scratching/Swirling)

Another thing, how do you use this method on dirty tires/wheels?
    To be honest I wont use ONR on my own car. Flat black, easily marred paint scares me with ONR... but I have not tried it so I can say it wont work wonderfully.

But in a pinch, or when a customers car is already clean it really is a time saver.. and you use so little water.

Any LIGHT damage (if any) you may inflict using ONR, your correction work will remove within the first few passes and just about any polish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Street Dreams View Post
    To be honest I wont use ONR on my own car. Flat black, easily marred paint scares me with ONR... but I have not tried it so I can say it wont work wonderfully.

But in a pinch, or when a customers car is already clean it really is a time saver.. and you use so little water.

Any LIGHT damage (if any) you may inflict using ONR, your correction work will remove within the first few passes and just about any polish.
    I almost always use it on customer cars because it`s fast. I figure I`m going to polish it anyway, so if any minor scratching does take place they`ll be buffed out with the polishing process...

For my own cars, I use it during the winter months (in the garage), when conventional washing is impossible due to the weather.
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I came to this thread late, but ...

For me, this subject has been a "Grail" type search.

IMO, when selecting "wash media," my focus is on where are the dirt particles going as I`m cleaning the surface. I want the WM to take up some of the particles and not just drag it or spread it along the paint surface, and that`s why the Schmitt makes me uneasy. Whether I`m using a grout sponge or a MF mitt/towel, I`m going to be moving it across a grit guard to get out as many particles as I can before reapplying.

Grout sponges seem to work fine for me, but at the moment, I`m partial to (and just more comfortable with) thick MF mitts and/or towels. What I like about using ONR is that yes, the MF does get blackened with dirt, and some of it you can`t rinse out, but this lets me know when I need to change MF`s.

As for wheels, I am currently spraying on some P21s wheel cleaner or an APC, then brush off using my ONR solution, sometimes spraying a little H2O or ONR solution with a bug sprayer (which I just broke) to get off excess cleaner. I do one wheel at a time and it works fine.
    Never cut what you can untie.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had been using a chenille dread lock wash mitt with rinseless but this weekend I tried a plusher microfiber towel (AG 530 towel) and it worked pretty good. Interestingly, it did not stain (retain grime) as much as in prior washes as the mitt did but maybe the vehicle was cleaner than normal.
    Al

Made in USA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    I had been using a chenille dread lock wash mitt with rinseless but this weekend I tried a plusher microfiber towel (AG 530 towel) and it worked pretty good. Interestingly, it did not stain (retain grime) as much as in prior washes as the mitt did but maybe the vehicle was cleaner than normal.
    Interesting, I`ve got a couple of 530`s and was thinking about using the 750`s ... I think I`ll try using these two this weekend and see what happens. :smile:
    Never cut what you can untie.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been in the same boat as many others regarding the use of ONR. I finally took the leap of faith and washed my daily driver, using abour 3 gallons of water in a 5 gallon bucket, grit guard and about 2 oz. of ONR. I used the Cobra Chenille MF mitt. The car was my daily driver Taurus in Arizona Beige.

I took my time and thoroughly soaked the mitt and submerged it thoroughly after every panel to ensure a good rinse of the mitt. The car came out GREAT. I was thoroughly impressed. After every panel I dried the worked area with one of the Cobra Shamrock MF towels. This combo proved to be my new maintenance wash method. The surface is nice, I did not see any additional/noticable RIDS or swirls. For stubborn areas I may pre-soak a regular MF towel, soak it in this ONR solution and place the towel on the area to let it break up/loosen the bug residue, etc...

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Meg`s (X3002) microfiber wash mitts with my ONR washes. I really like them.

Post Thanks / Like
    On the rear occasion that I do an ONR wash, I use a plush microfiber.:smile:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    I love my grout sponge with ONR....
    +1 on the grout sponge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw5541 View Post
    +1 on the grout sponge.
    I just picked up a couple. We`ve got a MAJOR cold front moving through right now, so I may wait til next week to use them!
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have tried the microfiber mitt and the microfiber towels, and I prefer the towels with a no rinse wash. It seems like the mitt gets dirty quick, and I have more towels to switch out when they get dirty. Another thing that I do with this wash method is mix the DP rinseless wash and gloss in a large pump "weed sprayer", and pre spray each panel before cleaning. I also use a grit guard in my bucket of water/solution. And I change out the towels a lot to wash and dry the vehicle. I think this helps reduce scratching.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lowes grout sponge here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information