Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok Everyone, which Clay are you......

Ok folks, Which Clay Bar System are you using?
    I been using Blackfire Polyclay II (awesome clay) , Meg`s Clay`s , a yellow one from the great white north...
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve only used two brands, ClayMagic and Mother`s. I haven`t really noticed much of a difference between the two. I do like the blue color of ClayMagic better, though.
    I think I`ll be using Mother`s clay from now on, since Advance Auto currently has a sale (25% off) on Mother`s products and Mother`s recently released their new Package with two clay bars. I currently have six and I`m planning on probably picking up another box before the sale ends next Saturday.

Post Thanks / Like
    I currently use the Smooth Surface Clay Kit from Meguiars. I also have tried other clay bars such as the Mothers kit, and Blue Magic Clay Kit.

But the best value to me is the Smooth Surface Clay Kit, I like collecting the Supreme Shine Microfibers and Cleaner Wax samples that come with them too.
    Nick
    Tucker`s Detailing Services
    2012 Ford Transit Connect
    815-954-0773

Post Thanks / Like
    Megs Clay and Clay Magic for me

Post Thanks / Like
    Meguiar`s Smooth Surface Clay Kit!!! A very nice clay bar and re-usable several times!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got 5 Turtle Wax ICE 100g bars , 11 of the meg`s smooth surface 50g bars , 3 Mothers not sure what size they are but i think their close to 100g, and half an aggressive clay from meguiars

i recently tryed the ICE bars on the paint but i usually use them for rims since their a little firmer to take off the tar and baked on brake dust that doesnt come out with washing, megs usually for the paint , got the mothers and the agressive clay but i haven`t tryed them yet...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoons2k View Post
    I got 5 Turtle Wax ICE 100g bars , 11 of the meg`s smooth surface 50g bars , 3 Mothers not sure what size they are but i think their close to 100g, and half an aggressive clay from meguiars

i recently tryed the ICE bars on the paint but i usually use them for rims since their a little firmer to take off the tar and baked on brake dust that doesnt come out with washing, megs usually for the paint , got the mothers and the agressive clay but i haven`t tryed them yet...
    I think you might like the Smooth Surface Clay replacement from Meguiars. That way you dont have to by the whole kit.
    Nick
    Tucker`s Detailing Services
    2012 Ford Transit Connect
    815-954-0773

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zoomzoom mazda5 View Post
    Ok folks, Which Clay Bar System are you using?
    I been using Blackfire Polyclay II (awesome clay) , Meg`s Clay`s , a yellow one from the great white north...
    Ricky n Lucy`s blue, eh? :thumbup:

Post Thanks / Like
    Sonus Green for me.

TOGWT
    Manufacturers - there are only a couple manufactures of clay and patents protect the technology, with some subtle difference in consistency and firmness, a recent court hearing found components of the ?elastic clay? to be a patent infringement and the judge ordered sale of the product to be halted. (In the United States, Auto Wax Company Inc. (now owned by Illinois Tool Works Inc.) owns the US patent rights (No. 5,727,993) and reads thus;

?A method of polishing a protrusion or stain from a surface comprising; applying a plastic flexible tool to the surface, the plastic flexible tool comprising a plastic flexible material having mixed therewith an abrasive comprising grains from about 3 to 50 m in diameter and; applying a force to the plastic flexible tool such that a polishing force per area is applied by the plastic flexible tool to a protrusion or stain on the surface, and such that the amount of force per area applied to the surface is less than the amount of force per area applied to the protrusion or stain.?

Auto Wax owns six patents relating to clay products and provides private label clay to many of the detail industry?s leading companies. As a result, all of the Polybutene (Polyisobutylene) or plastic clay being manufactured now comes from the same factory in Japan, which as the original patent holder and has a monopoly on the market. Meguiar`s, Mother`s, Sonus, Zaino, et al get their clay either from Japan (Source Chem. Inc. one of Japan`s biggest clay manufacturers) or from the US licensed manufacturer, Clay Magic, a brand name used by Auto Magic, Auto Wax Co (the U.S. patent holder)

The outcome of this is that 99% of detailing clay sold in the USA is produced under licence by Auto Magic, so apart from colour and packaging it the same thing - so much for free market competition and anti-monopoly legislation?

Post Thanks / Like
    AutoClay from Bilt-Hamber. Couldn`t pass up the fact that all I need is water for lube.

Post Thanks / Like
    Clay Magic, but I really like the Blackfire lube - and will buy a gallon when I can:devil: ... it allows plenty of time to work a panel without quickly drying. It just seems to keep anything the clay did not grab suspended for safe removal.

Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the Megs Mild, Aggressive, or OTC white clay. I`ve tried Zaino, 3M, Mothers, and Car Brite. I honestly could care less which I use; I just want to find the most affordable clay.
    Rasky`s Auto Detailing

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Concierge View Post
    That finish is "brill" (british slang for tightness) as in "BRILLIANT" great clarity and gloss!!.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    I use the Megs Mild, Aggressive, or OTC white clay. I`ve tried Zaino, 3M, Mothers, and Car Brite. I honestly could care less which I use; I just want to find the most affordable clay.
    I`m the same.... I have used all that you mentioned plus Clay Magic. I honestly can`t see that much difference in all the products.:smile: If it works, I`m happy!:thumbup:
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Clay Magic. Works great. Just got a few from Sonus on sale, haven`t used them yet. Will try ONR as the lube.
    I hear voices in my mind and you’re worried that you’re the freak.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information