Post Thanks / Like

Menz 2500+orange pad on rotary….not enough

Hey guys- it may be time to update my arsenal of polishing compounds or both or both.

I am using a makita rotary with a series of Menz polishes with 2500 being the most aggressive.

I can get the panel to be super clear and deep but with proper lights, there are tiny hair line marks/mar that cannot simply be corrected with my tools.

Machine set to 1,000rpm and working till the polish is completely dissolved still leaves small marring.

I was told I need a wool pad…..that I need to finish it off with a finish polish.

Menzerna 400 maybe ?? On a wool pad ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Menz 2500+orange pad on rotary….not enough

I like the Rupes Yellow/Medium and Blue/Coarse Wool pads and those can do some serious correction while finishing well. 400 and coarse wool might be too aggressive but if you can’t get it out with that combo, the marks likely aren’t coming out without going dangerously aggressive. You may want to add 400 to the arsenal as it is a really good compound but start with the Rupes Yellow Wool if you pick those up. Or Blue Wool with the 2500 before going to Blue Wool and 400. And like microfiber pads, compressed air to clean out the wool pads works very well. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you trying to "finish" off with Menzerna 2500? That`s an intermediate polish, as the name implies, the 2nd step in a 3-step polishing process. [1) Compound correction, 2) intermediate polishing, 3) fine or final polishing]

I think you really need the fine polishing of Menzerna`s 3500 or 3800 lines paired with a fine polishing pad, like Lake County`s HydroTech Tangerine Ultra-Polishing Pad or CarPro Gloss Pad with your Makita rotary.

Are these hair lines circular in shape or are they straight-line?
    If circular, they MIGHT be the micro-hazing from your 2500 intermediate polishing with said rotary.
    If they they are straight line, they might be from your microfibers as you wipe off the 2500.

My Captain Obvious question is the type of pad you are using with the Menzerna 2500 and the vehicle manufacturer, model, and paint color. I ask about the vehicle because different manufacturers paint`s hardness or softness can vary between colors hues. I will make the assumption that this is a darker hue color, since you can see the fine hair lines and marring in the right light, which obviously shows up more easily on darker hues. (Hey, they don`t call me Captain Obvious for nothin`!!)
    GB detailer
    Likes Striker liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Are you trying to "finish" off with Menzerna 2500? That`s an intermediate polish, as the name implies, the 2nd step in a 3-step polishing process. [1) Compound correction, 2) intermediate polishing, 3) fine or final polishing]

I think you really need the fine polishing of Menzerna`s 3500 or 3800 lines paired with a fine polishing pad, like Lake County`s HydroTech Tangerine Ultra-Polishing Pad or CarPro Gloss Pad with your Makita rotary.

Are these hair lines circular in shape or are they straight-line?
    If circular, they MIGHT be the micro-hazing from your 2500 intermediate polishing with said rotary.
    If they they are straight line, they might be from your microfibers as you wipe off the 2500.

My Captain Obvious question is the type of pad you are using with the Menzerna 2500 and the vehicle manufacturer, model, and paint color. I ask about the vehicle because different manufacturers paint`s hardness or softness can vary between colors hues. I will make the assumption that this is a darker hue color, since you can see the fine hair lines and marring in the right light, which obviously shows up more easily on darker hues. (Hey, they don`t call me Captain Obvious for nothin`!!)
    -It is dark blue Chevy paint.

-they are indeed circular scratches forming up in the paint. So it could be the Menz 2500.

-I am not trying to finish with the menz 2500.

-the pad I am using is an orange LC pad with 2500.

- I have menz 2500,3000,3500,3700 that I use.

*I really didn’t want to do a 3 step polish if I didn’t need to 2 step is enough work.

This is on my own personal car btw.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds to me like you just have to go through the basics--have you clayed beforehand to remove any bonded contaminants? Are your pads clean, are your microfibers for wipeoff clean and of good quality? Are you letting the polish dry out during buffing? Cleaning the spent polish from the pad?

What is the second step you are doing after the 2500? Polish/pad/machine/speed?

Post Thanks / Like

All the steps have been done. The car is squeaky clean. It didn’t need a clay either. I did iron x it. The car is a 2007 with 8,000 miles. So the paint is in good shape and weathering isn’t an issue at all.

I will follow up with either Menz 3500 or higher to see how it is with that last step. I’m hoping it’s just the marring caused by 2500.

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking of finishing my passes of 2500 on the orange pad - 3500 on white pad - 3800 on crimson hydro tech ?

I

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Unless you have years of experience with a rotary, you`ll need to finish with a fine polish and a random orbit machine.
    Likes Striker liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    Unless you have years of experience with a rotary, you`ll need to finish with a fine polish and a random orbit machine.
    All I ever use. Going to finish it off with the Menz 3500.

Post Thanks / Like

400 is a nice compound, and for the Menzerna user, a staple.

The really nice thing about 400 is that it can finish down pretty well. It definitely has more teeth than the 2500.

I still really like Menzerna abrasives. 400, 2500, 3500, and 3 in 1 are still in my arsenal.

Post Thanks / Like

My paint is happy. The 3500 on a white pad finished nice.

957B144B-6901-4340-BA22-2C4698E19ADC.jpg
    B700AB8D-F1A5-49DC-B00A-4AA8786A9F2E.jpg
    C1EFF6C5-68DD-4830-ABEC-45CB80FFBBF5.jpg

Likes dgage liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Glad everything came out ok.

Post Thanks / Like

You should hit a small spot with a piece of fine clay, you might be surprised.

I know you said you’re happy, but I bet there’s still stuff there.

Post Thanks / Like

I might have clay mitt the car when I got it. I honestly cannot recall. It’s too late now. She’s stuffed in my small garage and it’s winter time in Canada. No washing or claying is going to take place.

Although I see your point as I could always clay it inside the garage as I don’t need running water.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

I get very little off my car with real clay. I will clay mitt it now and then. My trucks are a different story, lots of bonded contaminants.

Thread Information