Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Skipped the Dealer Prep-Wise Decision

Got my new Scat Pack 2 weeks ago. I had the dealer skip the new car prep inside and out. Best thing I ever did. It came by truck and the only transport plastic was on the wheels.

As the ABC isn`t available in gallons yet, I tried some Griot`s Iron remover in random areas. No reaction from iron. None.

After washing with the Griot`s Surface Wash,(using a mitt), the surface was smooooth. I was shocked to find how smooth it was.

I then clayed it with my Sonax fine clay and Nanoksin clay lube. No imperfections felt. As the clay was virtually clean, I actually felt I could`ve skipped the clay. I kept expecting a spot that needed claying to arise, but never found one.

As you could probably surmise, on went a coat of FK1000p. I put the second coat coat of FK1000p on a few days ago, (a week apart). I also put my first coat of FK1000p on the wheels.

As it has a fair amount of plastic trim in different shades of grey and charcoal, I used my Opti-Seal for that. And given the various shapes and textures of "egg-crate" on the fog light trim, upper and lower grills and the center of the bumper, I did the best I could with it. I won`t live long enough to get in all the nooks and crannies of that egg-crate. I also used the Opti-Seal on the rear diffuser.
    Likes Stokdgs, dgage, William_Wallace liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Skipped the Dealer Prep-Wise Decision

Quote Originally Posted by Older View Post
    Got my new Scat Pack 2 weeks ago. I had the dealer skip the new car prep inside and out. Best thing I ever did. It came by truck and the only transport plastic was on the wheels.

As the ABC isn`t available in gallons yet, I tried some Griot`s Iron remover in random areas. No reaction from iron. None.

After washing with the Griot`s Surface Wash,(using a mitt), the surface was smooooth. I was shocked to find how smooth it was.

I then clayed it with my Sonax fine clay and Nanoksin clay lube. No imperfections felt. As the clay was virtually clean, I actually felt I could`ve skipped the clay. I kept expecting a spot that needed claying to arise, but never found one.

As you could probably surmise, on went a coat of FK1000p. I put the second coat coat of FK1000p on a few days ago, (a week apart). I also put my first coat of FK1000p on the wheels.

As it has a fair amount of plastic trim in different shades of grey and charcoal, I used my Opti-Seal for that. And given the various shapes and textures of "egg-crate" on the fog light trim, upper and lower grills and the center of the bumper, I did the best I could with it. I won`t live long enough to get in all the nooks and crannies of that egg-crate. I also used the Opti-Seal on the rear diffuser.
    pics please

Post Thanks / Like

Nice. Did the dealership put up a good fight? My last few cars they haven`t, I guess us detailing nuts have worked them over.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Brrrr, a car payment? How much?
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Post Thanks / Like

Been real busy and didn’t think of taking pics on delivery.

No pushback on the “no prep” request. I was told they get that request frequently.

No payments, don’t believe in them.
    Likes Stokdgs, bad penny, dcjredline liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Older:
    What color is this Scat Pack? And what made you decide to own and drive this particular Mopar Muscle car over "other" pony cars? Did you order this car out as you like optioned out OR did you buy it off the lot as-is from the dealer inventory? New and used vehicles are hard to come by and the manufacturer`s suggest retail purchase price (MSRP) on new cars and dealer`s asking price for used cars is getting outrageous.
    As far as the egg crate, I use cotton swabs (Q-Tips) to get into those nooks and crannies. Is it worth it to spend all that time doing so? It is subjective, but I just feel "better" about doing so. I`ve done this to GM grills, both plastic and chromed, and when it`s done it looks "detailed", albeit by an professed Obsessive-Compulsive Detailer (OCD), who seems to have more time than money. (Hey, that`s not necessarily true. At my age, I don`t buy green bananas any more for fear I will not live long enough to eat them by the time they ripen! ANOTHER title for Captain Obvious: Cheap-skate.)

If you like foam detail swabs with different shaped heads, i think the Sky`s The Limit handles some (Sorry, no link due to forum rules).

Another suggestion is to check out Mopar fanantic-owner and Autopian All-Star 512Detail`s posts on his exploits detailing Mopar Muscle. Lots of Mopar-related detailing ideas and what products to use there.
    Also, seems to me another Autopian All-Star , Mike lambert , is a Mopar owner.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

6.2 Scat pack/shaker. Nice choice. My dream car before I leave this earth. And the new RAM TREX! Brutal truck.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Best call for the sake of your car.

Funny you should bring this up. I just detailed and coated my son-in-law`s new, blue 2020 Charger Scat Pack over the weekend (pics will be in another thread soon). He bought it off the lot in late January with 10 miles on the odometer. One of the things I told him and my daughter was to let the dealer know they were not to touch the car for any reason or the deal was off. The dealer complied, and when I started work on the car last Friday the paint was in pristine condition. Only a few random RIDS to work through.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Older:
    What color is this Scat Pack? And what made you decide to own and drive this particular Mopar Muscle car over "other" pony cars? Did you order this car out as you like optioned out OR did you buy it off the lot as-is from the dealer inventory? New and used vehicles are hard to come by and the manufacturer`s suggest retail purchase price (MSRP) on new cars and dealer`s asking price for used cars is getting outrageous.
    As far as the egg crate, I use cotton swabs (Q-Tips) to get into those nooks and crannies. Is it worth it to spend all that time doing so? It is subjective, but I just feel "better" about doing so. I`ve done this to GM grills, both plastic and chromed, and when it`s done it looks "detailed", albeit by an professed Obsessive-Compulsive Detailer (OCD), who seems to have more time than money. (Hey, that`s not necessarily true. At my age, I don`t buy green bananas any more for fear I will not live long enough to eat them by the time they ripen! ANOTHER title for Captain Obvious: Cheap-skate.)

If you like foam detail swabs with different shaped heads, i think the Sky`s The Limit handles some (Sorry, no link due to forum rules).

Another suggestion is to check out Mopar fanantic-owner and Autopian All-Star 512Detail`s posts on his exploits detailing Mopar Muscle. Lots of Mopar-related detailing ideas and what products to use there.
    Also, seems to me another Autopian All-Star , Mike lambert , is a Mopar owner.
    Charger Scat Pack, F8 Green, ordered in late March, took 8 weeks. I have a great dealer locally and got a superb deal on the car.

I like the added versatility of the 2 extra doors over the Challenger. It also has a ton of interior room and a huge trunk.

Thanks for the info on 512Detail and Mike Lambert.
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hope you enjoy the new car and wise move avoiding the stealership `prep`.

FWIW I am not sure there is a situation where I would skip the chemical iron decon, nor would I clay a new car that passes the `plastic bag test`. There is also no circumstance where I would clay without later polishing the car as no matter how clean you work, you will marr anything but rock hard or ceramic clearcoat. Of course some colours/intensity of light will show that more than others and we all do things slightly differently which is part of the fun.

How was the condition of the paint generally when you received it, in the UK I am yet to see one new car (even those delivered in it`s transport plastic) defect free... perhaps we`re unlucky here

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atbalfour View Post
    Hope you enjoy the new car and wise move avoiding the stealership `prep`.

FWIW I am not sure there is a situation where I would skip the chemical iron decon, nor would I clay a new car that passes the `plastic bag test`. There is also no circumstance where I would clay without later polishing the car as no matter how clean you work, you will marr anything but rock hard or ceramic clearcoat. Of course some colours/intensity of light will show that more than others and we all do things slightly differently which is part of the fun.

How was the condition of the paint generally when you received it, in the UK I am yet to see one new car (even those delivered in it`s transport plastic) defect free... perhaps we`re unlucky here
    I used Griot’s Iron remover with negative results. After using the Sonus fine clay, I couldn’t find any defects or swirls in bright sunlight or under my light.

Since it’s a daily driver that will sit outside 95% of its life, I won’t even try to get it perfect and then try to keep it that way. I know how that movie ends.��
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think dealerships have finally wised up as far as swirling new cars up with a rotary polisher. I haven`t seen that in years. The same can`t be said for body shops though.
    Congratulations on the new ride!

Post Thanks / Like

I used Griot’s Iron remover with negative results. After using the Sonus fine clay, I couldn’t find any defects or swirls in bright sunlight or under my light.

Since it’s a daily driver that will sit outside 95% of its life, I won’t even try to get it perfect and then try to keep it that way. I know how that movie ends.��
    The paint looked fine from the factory, but since it was rained on during transport, I was a little concerned about water-spotting. No problems with that, fortunately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bad penny View Post
    I think dealerships have finally wised up as far as swirling new cars up with a rotary polisher. I haven`t seen that in years. The same can`t be said for body shops though.
    Congratulations on the new ride!
    The big threat these days is when they wash them. Many dealers around here have automated car wash tunnels they drive vehicles through for their "courtesy" washes. Others simply have some poor overworked porter do the work with a pressure washer, a dirty wash mitt, and a worn out terry cloth towel. Either way, the car will be totally swirled out unless you intervene.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Been real busy and didn’t think of taking pics on delivery.

No pushback on the “no prep” request. I was told they get that request frequently.

No payments, don’t believe in them.
    THAT is what IM talking about!! GOOD FOR YOU MAN!!
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information