Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Skipped the Dealer Prep-Wise Decision

Older- Oh man does this sound great! Love your color choice too

Heh heh, I feel for you regarding the "egg crate" trim...that took *FOREVER* on the last vehicle I had with it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    The big threat these days is when they wash them. Many dealers around here have automated car wash tunnels they drive vehicles through for their "courtesy" washes. Others simply have some poor overworked porter do the work with a pressure washer, a dirty wash mitt, and a worn out terry cloth towel. Either way, the car will be totally swirled out unless you intervene.
    Around here they`re even getting rid of tunnel washes. If nothing else positive came out of detailing forums in the past 2 decades is that car dealership have finally been educated about their car washing practices.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Older- Oh man does this sound great! Love your color choice too

Heh heh, I feel for you regarding the "egg crate" trim...that took *FOREVER* on the last vehicle I had with it!
    It can be a little pricey I guess, but I`ve be known to mist ceramic coating onto egg crate trim. Works great. Big time saver.
    After you mist, blow with leaf blower then wipe what`s left.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bad penny View Post
    Around here they`re even getting rid of tunnel washes. If nothing else positive came out of detailing forums in the past 2 decades is that car dealership have finally been educated about their car washing practices.
    Interesting. A local Chevy dealership just built one with 4~5 bays! It`s open to the public, but they heavily advertise the fact it`s their car wash and use it as evidence of the "free car washes for life...any time you want" you get when you buy a car from them. Our local Honda dealership just built one onto the side of their service department last year.

Outside of the dealerships, within 2 miles of my house AT LEAST three, large, new automated tunnel wash places have opened in the last 9~12 months.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Interesting. A local Chevy dealership just built one with 4~5 bays! It`s open to the public, but they heavily advertise the fact it`s their car wash and use it as evidence of the "free car washes for life...any time you want" you get when you buy a car from them. Our local Honda dealership just built one onto the side of their service department last year.

Outside of the dealerships, within 2 miles of my house AT LEAST three, large, new automated tunnel wash places have opened in the last 9~12 months.
    A 5 bay tunnel wash? That must be a sight to behold. Can`t believe they let customers run the cars through by themselves without supervision. That`s going to come back and bite them I bet

Post Thanks / Like

A 5 bay tunnel wash? That must be a sight to behold. Can`t believe they let customers run the cars through by themselves without supervision. That`s going to come back and bite them I bet
    It`s pretty big, but we`ve got several mom-n-pop wash places around here with 2~3 automated wash bays. These aren`t the big tunnel washes which are 50~60 yards long and look like a haunted house for cars. They are the automated pull in, let the brushes scrub the heck out of your paint, and then pull away through the curtain of straps type automated car wash bays not much longer than a long-bed pickup.

The place at the Chevy dealer is designed to be public use despite the dealership owning it and putting their signs all over it. I think they just give customers some form of card that gives them a free wash whenever they want.

I noticed for the first time today, our local Caddy dealer has a two bay, private, automated wash place too. Not sure what it is with people around here.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

It can be a little pricey I guess, but I`ve be known to mist ceramic coating onto egg crate trim. Works great. Big time saver.
    After you mist, blow with leaf blower then wipe what`s left.
    If I could see the potential highspots that`d be a good way to go, as long as it wasn`t one of the Coatings that needs to be abraded prior to redoing. Heh heh, I just decided to never own anything with such trim again Nowadays I won`t give a moment`s thought to any vehicle that`s a challenging Detail (not that I plan to buy anything else in this lifetime, but ya never know..).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information