Post Thanks / Like

GDWM Microfiber Question

For those of you that are doing the GDWM, what microfibers do you use for the wash part, and what do you use for the dry part?

I was thinking TRC Eagle Edgeless 500 for the wash part. What do you guys think of this as the wash towel?

Any suggestions on the dry towel?

Thanks - CK
    And the light shineth through the darkness

Post Thanks / Like

Re: GDWM Microfiber Question

Griots PFM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah the EE work great... any of the weights. To dry, as mentioned before, Griots PFM or really any twisted loop drying towel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

TRC Creature Edgeless (420 gsm) for washing, same type towel for damp wipe, and 16x16 PFM or TRC Premium FTW for drying.

Post Thanks / Like

By the way, the acronym GDWM means "Gerry Deans Wash Method", where you wash a vehicle with a single bucket of soap and use several wash media (medii for plural?) to scrub/wipe the surface clean, never rinsing or reusing that wash media and using a new, clean wash media for the next vehicle panel surface, thus "eliminating" the risk of inducing dirty wash media swirls. At least that is the theory of this wash methodology.

Setec Astronomy says this wash methodology is REALLY attributed to Bill D.
    (Cut-and-pasted from a thread on Anyone using Gerry Dean`s products)
    "I have long had a beef with the "Garry Dean Method". As far as I`m concerned, it`s the "Bill D Method". When I brought this up on another forum I was asked to back it up, so I collected Bill`s posts from here back in 2004-2005 (I think Garry was in Jr. High then). It was argued that because Bill was using conventional wash, rather than rinseless, that it didn`t count. Bill has been very modest about it, but Bill was using a bucket full of mitts on his car when the only rinseless out there was QEW (which we only used in the depths of winter), so for me, Bill D is the pioneer of the "multiple media" method....."

What wash media to use with this methodology? Quality microfiber noodle wash mitts/pads. NOW, if you find suggestions for a microfiber CLOTH instead, I`d be interested. I just think that the denser (hence the term "quality") noodles mitts/pads clean better AND then release the dirt more easily and better when washed manually by hand or in a washing machine.

What drying media? for new insights, please see this on discussion thread on The Rag Company`s "The Gauntlet":
    https://www.autopia.org/forums/car-d...tml?highlight=

For what it is worth, since I am explaining acronyms, with Griot`s Garage PFM Drying towel , the "PFM" means Pure Frickin` Magic. It has NOTHING to do with the microfiber type or construction. Yes, I use this towel in the 16 x 16 inch size for my drying towel with a 2-bucket wash method. This is after being an old-school chamois drying cloth holdout for many years. The waffle-weaves towels never did dry like a chamois, so I when back to it. But after much glowing praise from Autopians reviews in this forum, I made the plunge and it is "Pure Frickin` Magic" how much rinse water on vehicles this particular towel absorbs and holds. Since then other microfiber manufacturers have come out with "clones" or equivalents to this towel, so you may want to research this microfiber subject or refer back to the above linked thread.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I indeed have been using multiple mitts since around 2004-2005 and one day I saw Garry Dean post about rinseless washing with multiple MFs. Different media but same idea. I suspect he got his multiple MF idea from my multiple *mitt* usage but in the end I guess it really doesn’t matter who washes with what.

I haven’t rinseless washed since I lived in NJ so the multiple MF rinseless wash is fine by me
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Thread Information