Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why do I need a bucket dolly?

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Heh heh, lifting the ~6 gallon rectangulars up onto/down from my Work Platforms, let alone when those are wet/covered with slippery shampoo suds and I have a foamgun/hose in the other hand, can get...treacherous...but it`s the efficient way to do the roof/etc. of the Tahoe. Maybe the riskiest single thing I regularly do in life, certainly the most dangerous related to the Detailing.

With my "quick maintenance washes" taking well over 4 hours (and usually *MUCH* longer) that I`ll never get back, every wasted moment/movement/action weighs on me. I know...others speak of "garage therapy"/etc. but I`m not that guy. And I get more than enough exercise as it is

Different approaches for different people with different priorities and all that....
    After every single intense, through wash/detail I do, my lower back (just above and right across the cheeks of my ass), I am stiff and achy for days(not to mention my knees from all the bending).

Another little gift I get from getting older and having to contend with continuing to do all my own detail jobs, I assume has an expiration date when I can no longer do them anymore...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I don`t have them and won`t for this reason. My driveway slopes on two different axis depending on where you are standing. I`d be chasing the things as they rolled off or, heaven forbid, rolled into another vehicle. I`m perfectly happy picking up the buckets and moving them around as needed...as long as I lift them properly.

To be honest, I only move the buckets four times when washing a vehicle. The front, each side and the back.
    It’s funny now that i think about it.... i don’t really move my wash bucket. Just walk back to it and grab another mitt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Desertnate liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dispatch View Post
    After every single intense, through wash/detail I do, my lower back (just above and right across the cheeks of my ass), I am stiff and achy for days(not to mention my knees from all the bending).

Another little gift I get from getting older and having to contend with continuing to do all my own detail jobs, I assume has an expiration date when I can no longer do them anymore...
    Heh heh, I`ll spare you (most of) my usual comments on aging But I plan to keep doing this stuff at least as long as my late father did, and he was doing it in his mid-80s. I`m only 60, but no age-related issues here so far Detailing has yet to prove physically demanding for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack
    i don’t really move my wash bucket. Just walk back to it and grab another mitt.
    Gee, that sounds incredibly time/motion-INefficient! But again, I`m, uhm..different about this stuff And I`ve always been really intrigued by the idea of being as efficient (time/motion-wise at least) as possible about how I do stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Stokdgs- Ya know...you got me thinking about how my "just get it done already!" attitude is similar to how you Pros need to do likewise, if for different reasons (and to a different degree; I could never knock `em out as quickly you guys do!).

A while back I got two additional rolling cars (the polypropylene ones from HF), one for each side of the washbay, for the foamguns and their stuff, and found that they`re worth their weight in gold with regard to making the wash go quicker/easier. Just not bending down/etc. every time I set the foamguns down, and having places for their extra bottles and my spot-claying stuff/etc. turned out making a much bigger diff than I`d expected. Man, I`m *SOLD* on the Redundant Systems approach, saves me a ton of time/effort.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Astouffer512 View Post
    I`ve been trying to convince myself why I need bucket dollys. If you consider them essential to your wash routine please s hook me in why

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    You don`t. Doing a little bit of physical labor never hurt anyone. Use it or lose it.

Have you ever noticed old rich people doing light resistance training? You think they like it? No its because they have the access to the best medical advice in the world. And they can`t delegate it to the peasants and reap the rewards. They actually have to do it for themselves!

I remember seeing the older jewish supreme court judge, Ruth Bader Ginsburg. That got caught a while back training in a public gym during the first massive panic of covid - the peasants werent allowed. I started training again the next day.

So yeah you don`t need dollys for your wash buckets. Its light physical work that will help your bone density for starters has you get older.

I`ve been into car detailing for about 2 years now and the prices i`ve seen for labeled plastic buckets, dolly`s and grit guards is quite amazing. Its probably one of the biggest scams in the detailing world IMO. I cringe when i see the likes of esoteric pushing 200-300 dollar 2 bucket wash "systems". That creepy matt guy from obsessed garage has even added a wheel wash bucket! I guess i`m too average to see the value in such a sophisticated system.

its also VERY interesting that Todd coop or ride her(interesting name has well) choose to name his company esoteric. Has well has the masonic floor i seen in matts garage a few years ago on a video.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m so lazy I kick mine around the car.

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t use buckets at all. I use a foam gun for all my washing. The only I`d have to use buckets is with a Valugard ABC wash
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Note that Bill D uses a gazillion mitts with *his* foamgun technique, which might explain why he doesn`t use/need buckets

Quote Originally Posted by noorth
    Have you ever noticed old rich people doing light resistance training? You think they like it?
    And then there are those rare oldsters who do genuinely *HARD* RT and Cardio... And some even like it

By the time my father was in his 80s, none of his contemporaries who *didn`t* exercise properly could do much of *anything*. Heh heh, guess it`s about time to start this year`s Health & Fitness Thread
    Thanks noorth thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I use about 6, sometimes 8 mitts. It`s manageable for me.
    Likes bad penny liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I use about 6, sometimes 8 mitts. It`s manageable for me.
    Heh heh, well...you don`t let things go as long as I do between washes

With my Booster Pump inop, I`m actually getting a bit of functionality out of my buckets these days, they`re currently not "merely a repository for the wash media" and I even find a bit of dirt in those Rinse Buckets Gotta get on that pump replacement...

Post Thanks / Like

Dirt in your bucket!? Uh oh, you`re slipping!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Dirt in your bucket!? Uh oh, you`re slipping!
    Heh heh, nah...not as long as I can blame it on that broken booster pump Without the added pressure I actually have to *rinse out* my BHBs so I can rationalize the dirt as long as it`s not much.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Note that Bill D uses a gazillion mitts with *his* foamgun technique, which might explain why he doesn`t use/need buckets

And then there are those rare oldsters who do genuinely *HARD* RT and Cardio... And some even like it

By the time my father was in his 80s, none of his contemporaries who *didn`t* exercise properly could do much of *anything*. Heh heh, guess it`s about time to start this year`s Health & Fitness Thread
    The hardest thing about training for me is usually the start. After a while it starts to become fun again. Then old injuries flair up or i just get side tracked. But i always end up with bars in my hands. Probably 2-3mths total every year the last 3 years i guess. In my 20`s i went a good 3 years of solid training.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    The hardest thing about training for me is usually the start. After a while it starts to become fun again. Then old injuries flair up or i just get side tracked. But i always end up with bars in my hands. Probably 2-3mths total every year the last 3 years i guess. In my 20`s i went a good 3 years of solid training.
    Ah, maybe it`s easier if you just never stop; I`ve trained consistently since the early `80s, only missing workouts (for brief periods, never a full month) over medical issues.

(OK, OK...sorry for the thread-jack I really oughta start that H & F thread..)

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, if you want a "dolly" with a handle for holding two buckets, do what Bunky did: commandeer your kids Radio Flyer Wagon. It has plenty of room for the two buckets AND those spray bottles of exterior car-care product bottles, not to mention you do not have to bend over so far to reach into the buckets.
    (See post #12 in the attached thread below. The thread is really about someone who made a homemade dolly with a handle.)
    My Two-Bucket Dolly.
    GB detailer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information