Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Shampoos for ceramic coatings / sealants

Interested to get views on this one.. do you specifically choose a shampoo for your coated car or just something pH neutral and sudsy?

For me the ideal shampoo would be:

- Slick
    - Strong cleaning power but not enough to wear down a durable LSP with frequent use
    - Leaves nothing behind - no gloss enhancers, corrosion inhibitors, waxes/sio2

Suds, smell and price are also nice but not huge factors for me, detailing as a hobby.

Best I`ve used is Car Pro Reset. I`ve also used Car Chem Super Suds and it`s excellent yet economical for cars I`m less fussy about.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shampoos for ceramic coatings / sealants

Many consider the CarPro RESET a top contender. I bought a gallon of the McKee`s SiO2 wash and am working my way through that. They say it`s OK to wash in the sun and that has some benefit for me.
    Likes atbalfour liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve been using Shine Supply Shift car shampoo on my coated Audi.Very pleased with the results- ph neutral and no additives to change the properties of the coating. Very sudsy, rinses well and smells pretty good.
    Likes atbalfour liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiar`s D110 Hyper Wash checks all the boxes for me

-Great lubricity
    -Rinses away easily
    -Decent cleaning power (I don`t let my car get that hammered anyways)
    -The price is around 30 bucks a gallon give or take a few dollars depending on where you purchase from and the dilution ratio is very good @ 400:1 (I use 1 oz per bucket) so a gallon will go a long way

Post Thanks / Like

There’s a bunch: PBL Shampoo, Blackfire and DP have coating maintenance washes that leave nothing behind. They all seem to do well.

Ive never tried Reset but it’s something I eventually will try. I understand it’s quite strong and will probably harm less durable LSPs. Does anyone have experience with both Reset and Mckees Coating Prep Wash who can vouch whether Mckees can be used in the same way, to deep clean coated surfaces to get water behavior back? In other words, are they comparable? Since I’ve not used Reset I can’t compare whether the above washes I listed are in the same category.

Post Thanks / Like

Reset is a highly concentrated product but you can use it at different dilutions as I do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    There’s a bunch: PBL Shampoo, Blackfire and DP have coating maintenance washes that leave nothing behind. They all seem to do well.

Ive never tried Reset but it’s something I eventually will try. I understand it’s quite strong and will probably harm less durable LSPs. Does anyone have experience with both Reset and Mckees Coating Prep Wash who can vouch whether Mckees can be used in the same way, to deep clean coated surfaces to get water behavior back? In other words, are they comparable? Since I’ve not used Reset I can’t compare whether the above washes I listed are in the same category.
    Mckee’s coating prep wash (MCPW) is more powerful. I would use reset for a weekly wash. I wouldn’t use coating prep wash weekly.

Was going to do a prep wash

-MCPW foam cannon.
    -Rinse
    -foamed w/ MCPW again and washed with MF mitts panel at a time.
    -rinsed
    Final bucket washed with Reset to make sure all was clean.
    -rinsed

After the agitated wash with MSPW i could see the coating was back. My plan was to use with Iron X and Tar X but coating was good after Wash.

I don’t get results like that with Reset. Reset should be OK with most of what you use as it should be safe for reload and you use a lot of sio2.

I feel MCPW would remove or degrade Sio2 sealants and waxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks acuRAS82, SNP209 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

For monthly prep washes i like to pre foam with Bilt Hamber Autofoam as i feel it’s not as aggressive as Mckee’s coating prep.

Followed by Reset or Optimum Car Wash. once Optimum is gone will probably strictly use Reset unless i feel like giving Hyperwash a shot.

Most people balk at Resets price but depending on what you pay for a gallon thats 50-66 cents a wash. If you wash once a week it should last you 2.5 years. Good investment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    Mckee’s coating prep wash (MCPW) is more powerful. I would use reset for a weekly wash. I wouldn’t use coating prep wash weekly.

Was going to do a prep wash

-MCPW foam cannon.
    -Rinse
    -foamed w/ MCPW again and washed with MF mitts panel at a time.
    -rinsed
    Final bucket washed with Reset to make sure all was clean.
    -rinsed

After the agitated wash with MSPW i could see the coating was back. My plan was to use with Iron X and Tar X but coating was good after Wash.

I don’t get results like that with Reset. Reset should be OK with most of what you use as it should be safe for reload and you use a lot of sio2.

I feel MCPW would remove or degrade Sio2 sealants and waxes.

^^Thanks, this was my concern. It does not belong in this thread probably as it was never meant as a maintenance wash to any LSPs, IMO. Just had to get some real world experience on the subject.
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot rant or rave how much I like reset....cleans well, a little goes a loong way, and it quite lubricious. It`s all I ever want in a soap....unless someone here chimes along and tells me something newer or better exists. It`s my go to shampoo for paint period (coated or not). in the literally sense, it`s also my most - used- product in my detailing arsenal. Lockdown, quarantine aside for 2020, but between spring-early winter, I`m using reset like 2X a week !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    I cannot rant or rave how much I like reset....cleans well, a little goes a loong way, and it quite lubricious. It`s all I ever want in a soap....unless someone here chimes along and tells me something newer or better exists. It`s my go to shampoo for paint period (coated or not). in the literally sense, it`s also my most - used- product in my detailing arsenal. Lockdown, quarantine aside for 2020, but between spring-early winter, I`m using reset like 2X a week !
    What dilutution do you use it for non-coating, delicate LSP washes?

Post Thanks / Like

can`t say as all of them have some sort of coating on them....

just the other day, With this lockdown and all, I have debating on the garage queen to go old skool and break out the oils - glaze and nuba it, just because I have not seen paint like that in decades ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

The recommend 400-500 dilution. I use 1oz in a 3.5 gallon bucket and it’s super lubricious. Doesn’t foam a lot for me but others state it does. It’s funny cuz back in the day I couldn’t find it’s ph level but sky’s the limit (CarPros US distribution) now state that it’s neutral so should be GTG on all LSP’s

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    The recommend 400-500 dilution. I use 1oz in a 3.5 gallon bucket and it’s super lubricious. Doesn’t foam a lot for me but others state it does. It’s funny cuz back in the day I couldn’t find it’s ph level but sky’s the limit (CarPros US distribution) now state that it’s neutral so should be GTG on all LSP’s

Ah, thanks. I thought Reset would strip wax/traditional sealant when washed somewhat regularly at the 1oz per bucket dilution.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, thanks. I thought Reset would strip wax/traditional sealant when washed somewhat regularly at the 1oz per bucket dilution.
    The only non ceramic LSPs I`ve washed with it were Beadmaker and WGDGPS and I saw no impact on them. The Beadmaker car was the only non coating type LSP regularly washed and it showed no signs of weakening. Not to mention it was at foam cannon dilutions of around 1:20-30 as I usually went to a multiple mitt wash without rinsing the foam away.

After watching dozens of Apex Detail LSP torture tests I`m not sure there is such a thing as strip soap. He used to do round after round of APCs or other degreasers with Reset as the soap that was removing any remaining film leftover.
    Likes acuRAS82, atbalfour liked this post
    Thanks acuRAS82, atbalfour thanked for this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information