Post Thanks / Like

Dust wipedown in between washes

Hi, I`m not a pro but for my own cars I will do a thorough wash and then wax and detail. In between washes, when the car gets a fine mist of dust on it, I`ll take a spray bottle of distilled water with a few drops of car-wash soap to wetten the water, maybe lubricate it a bit but not enough to leave a film.

So this has always worked out well, but on my `19 Ford Edge, on which I have a couple of layers of Meguiars Gold Class Carnauba, I`m noticing a film almost like wax that hasn`t been buffed after I wipe it down like this. This is not dust that I missed, nor is it a heavy dust area that I just didn`t clean enough.

I`ve tried this with the car freshly washed and wiped down. I have an LED light that I rake across the panels and it catches anything and everything--the panels are perfect after washing. So I tried this wipedown on part of the clean car as an experiment and got that haze in spots.

So my question is--could this be lifting the wax off and re-depositing it, leaving a haze needing to be buffed? The color is Magnetic, basically a dark grey metallic clearcoat. I`ve never had this before, but I`d used synthetic wax before and I`m wondering if it`s something unique to carnauba?
    Thanks,
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dust wipedown in between washes

Quote Originally Posted by jimojimo2 View Post
    Hi, I`m not a pro but for my own cars I will do a thorough wash and then wax and detail. In between washes, when the car gets a fine mist of dust on it, I`ll take a spray bottle of distilled water with a few drops of car-wash soap to wetten the water, maybe lubricate it a bit but not enough to leave a film.

So this has always worked out well, but on my `19 Ford Edge, on which I have a couple of layers of Meguiars Gold Class Carnauba, I`m noticing a film almost like wax that hasn`t been buffed after I wipe it down like this. This is not dust that I missed, nor is it a heavy dust area that I just didn`t clean enough.

I`ve tried this with the car freshly washed and wiped down. I have an LED light that I rake across the panels and it catches anything and everything--the panels are perfect after washing. So I tried this wipedown on part of the clean car as an experiment and got that haze in spots.

So my question is--could this be lifting the wax off and re-depositing it, leaving a haze needing to be buffed? The color is Magnetic, basically a dark grey metallic clearcoat. I`ve never had this before, but I`d used synthetic wax before and I`m wondering if it`s something unique to carnauba?
    Thanks,
    Jim
    Im thinking its the soap leaving the haze. If its car wash soap and not dish soap i wouldn’t think it would affect wax once bonded as you put more on in a bucket wash and doesn’t affect it then. Its probably soap drying

To alleviate all this i would use a dedicated Quick detailer.

Better yet look into waterless Washes. Their concentrate washes that are meant to do exactly what your trying to do but are ment for that. Look at Wolfgang Uber on Autogeek or Autopia. Won’t have those issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks very much, I`ll try that. I`m also going to try just pure distilled water and see if that still does it.
    --Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimojimo2 View Post
    Thanks very much, I`ll try that. I`m also going to try just pure distilled water and see if that still does it.
    --Jim
    With just distilled water you are going to have less lubricants. These help keep the towel from inducing tiny scratches that eventually. The stuff i use, mckees 37 914, i put a half once in a 32oz bottle and a gallon cost me $30. Its well worth the investment to scratch your paint less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

jimojimo2- Welcome to Autopia!

I`m *assuming* you`re doing this all touchless, with zero touch-drying (since residual dirt *will* be there and can cause marring). That said..

IME you need to be using the right LSP, maybe that GC (which I don`t like anyhow) isn`t it. With the right, and *fresh enough* LSP most dirt should come off pretty well with just Distilled *IF* you spray it on there with sufficient pressure. NO, I would not expect a spraybottle to do it; mine never did not even the ones you pressurize with a compressor.

Spraying the Distilled with a Tornador at ~90psi or, better yet, a Lonn Cleaning Gun at >100psi can work great. But note that, as suggested, doing that with a Rinseless Wash (I like IUDJ) works *infinitely* better. Even on "you really oughta wash that mess properly!"-levels of soiling.

That approach can work *so* much better than I`d ever expected...I can sometimes go [I won`t say how long ] between "real" washes while still satisfying my rather high standards.

Thread Information