Post Thanks / Like

Using clay bar on new truck?

Just bought a new Ram a few weeks ago. I have less than 600 miles on it. Do I need to use clay bar on it prior to polishing it? TIA

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Using clay bar on new truck?

Sure shouldn’t hurt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Glenn54- Welcome to Autopia!

The "whether to clay or not?" is one of those "it just depends.." sort of things. Even brand-new vehicles can be contaminated, and if the contamination is an issue for you claying might be a good solution. But I don`t see any point in doing something that`s not necessary, so first I`d consider whether it is necessary (e.g., the "baggie test").

Note that claying always involves a risk of inducing additional marring (swirls/scratches/etc.). The most gentle clays, which are less likely to do that, are often too gentle to really do much decontaminating. That`s why I tend to like/recommend Chemical Decontamination.

If your concern/issue is Ferrous Contamination ("rail dust", rust-blooms) then the chemical route would definitely be my choice/recommendation. If it`s a light-colored vehicle I`d definitely consider doing that even if it does pass the baggie test. Not a big deal, basically just washing the vehicle with the Ferrous Contamination Remover stuff.

If it`s a darker color, and you don`t notice any contamination, I myself would quite probably just go straight to polishing (after a very thorough wash). But that`s just me and saying that borders on Autopian Heresy since I suspect that few here would polish without first doing some kind of decontamination.

Post Thanks / Like

Clay bar, no, clay towel/pad...yes. Its not how many miles but how long it was parked and how it was transported. I mean if the paint feels silky smooth with the baggie test, I guess you can skip it.

Post Thanks / Like

Dan- Heh heh, we could always do a "clay vs. towel" debate and *really* get Glenn54 scratching his head! Just kidding, just kidding...well, sorta But seriously, since he *is* planning to polish anyhow I doubt that the (right) towel/pad would really be all that riskier than the clay, and I do acknowledge that I`m much more paranoid about the towel/pad than most here.
    Likes Dan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I had a customer that bought a brand new Benz C-class sedan. He brought it over to have me do a quick polish and coating within the first week with less than 200 miles. It was one of the most contaminated cars I have ever clay barred. Turns out it had been parked in the dealer`s lot right next to the entrance coming off a very busy boulevard. So all the cars going down the road where leaving their brake dust over the front line up cars at that dealership.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I think it`s time to use the clay bar. I will do the plastic bag test first and compare after doing the clay bar.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Glenn54- Some sorta-random tips follow:

-Tear the clay bar into small pieces, if only so you don`t trash the whole thing if you drop it (I know, I never drop clay either But I still do this just in case ) The little pieces are easier to inspect/knead too
    -Knead/replace your clay *VERY* frequently; the instant it picks up a bit of abrasive contamination it becomes sandpaper and will scratch your paint
    -Use *lots* of good lube; the clay should float across the surface of the paint on a film of lube, bumping into contamination and shearing it off (clay *does not* "pull contamination off/out of the paint", that`s just now how it`s supposed to work)
    -Don`t let clay/lube residue dry on the vehicle, it can be a pain to clean off
    Likes imported_erazz liked this post

Thread Information