Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Windshield Help Needed

Over the years I`ve steadily improved my skills in detailing in all but one area: the inside of the windshield.

I`ve got a good product and towels to clean the glass, but my work flow normally ends up like this:
    1) Clean the the inside of the windshield. Inspect in the current lighting (indoor or outdoor). Looks good.
    2) Drive to work the next morning in the rising sun and notice horrible stripes and missed areas in the corners/edges where my hands won`t fit.
    3) Get home from work, clean windshield AGAIN. Inspect AGAIN in available lighting. Looks good.
    4) Drive to work the next morning and notice stipes and other areas AGAIN, but they are much smaller
    5) Get home from work, clean windshield AGAIN. Inspect AGAIN in available lighting. Looks good.
    6) Drive to work again and by now it`s usually looking good, but not perfect.

What techniques and tools do you use to get into the tight areas and ensure the whole surface is being properly cleaned? What type of lighting do you use to inspect your work? Broad daylight and overhead LED`s in my garage don`t seem to work and stuff doesn`t appear until I`m driving into the sunrise and can see my shoddy work.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Windshield Help Needed

I started using McKee`s 20/20 cockpit glass cleaner once every three months and eliminated my windshield issues.

For regular weekly cleaning i use the stoner glass cleaning tool with the guitar pick shaped head on it.
    Likes Stokdgs, BadgerRivFan liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is the link for the best tool ever to clean inside front and back window glass --- https://www.autopia-carcare.com/ston...l#.XQE_fFWpH3g

Here is the link for the McKee`s 20/20 cockpit glass cleaner - Note - it says "Do not use on window tint... https://www.autopia-carcare.com/mcke...l#.XQFC8VWpH3g

The process that works best for me is to use good quality clean absorbent microfiber or pure cotton towels that have no residue in them..

And it also works best for me if the cleaned glass is still moist for the wipedown, otherwise it might dry and leave streaks that you cannot see easily..

Sometimes, it takes a couple of complete passes to get that stuff off inside glass.. If its a smoker car, a lot more passes to break that nicotine residue down and out..
    Dan F
    Likes SGM2008 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I try to inspect in unforgiving lighting, like right before sunset.

And I carry a window towel in the vehicle so I can do spot touchups whenever I notice something I missed. No cleaner, I just fog the glass with my breath and wipe it. For tight spots where my hands won`t fit I just crumple up the towel and shove it in there. I use my Griot`s Polypropylene Window Wipes for this (and for all other final-pass glass cleaning).

Stokdgs- I got one of those for Christmas last year Haven`t tried it yet, was thinking more for the house than the vehicles (think "just barely inaccessible windows"), but I bet others would find it great for both. Glad to hear it gets your seal of approval. And that`s a good heads-up about the McKee`s 20/20 and tint, don`t seem to see those caveats as much these days.

Post Thanks / Like

Zap cloth, or Kaywos cloths work great for not linting and keeping excellent traction on the glass and in your hand. Often, I find a towel frustrating to use due to unwanted friction characteristics between the towel, glass, and my hand. Secondly, they can only use water and work well that way when your windshield isn`t unreasonably dirty. The Rag Co makes a towel similar to this, but they are not the same. Not sure if that matters. The idea is that they don`t lint--at all. I`ve heard other manufacturers say that before and not agreed with their statement, but these two towels (they are the same towel, just different names) live up to their claims.
    The guitar pick shaped device works well; I use that, and usually end up using my triceps, where my body is facing the middle-to-rear of the car but my hand is facing away from me wiping the windshield. Hopefully that makes sense.
    I am much more picky with glass and the idea of working clean through every step of the process, than I am with paint. I keep glass supplies seperate, in a zipped bag, and I wear gloves most of the time when I do it. I have this down well enough that I`m pretty sure there won`t be any streaks.
    Other guys, who swear by no streaks, use small squeegee. I`ve been thinking about experimenting with those, but these cloths have been working so well.

Post Thanks / Like

Go up and down on the outside glass and across on the inside glass, this will give you a good idea which side is still dirty/smeary. Plus I use Nextzett glass cleaner and it’s the best I have found at cutting through all types of crud.
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Soak a microfiber with distilled water, wring it out, leaving it damp but not dripping. Proceed to clean the windshield with the wet towel, wiping the surface thoroughly, this will leave the window wet. Use a separate clean dry microfiber to dry/buff the window to a streak free surface. This works for me 99% of the time, cleaning 2-3 cars/day.
    shanesautodetail.com
    facebook.com/shanesautodetail

Post Thanks / Like

The question I always ask clients with the same issue is, how do you maintain your towels? I hate windows, so this is what I do. Griot’s window cleaner with 2 towels. One glass microfiber and one waffle weave. Soak the glass towel and wipe twice, dry with the waffle weave. For hard to reach areas I use a paint stir.
    Likes SWETM, BadgerRivFan, Astouffer512 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have the most luck using one of those mini squeegees, like a small version of the gas station squeegees to first get most of the film off. I use lots of Meguiars glass cleaner and don`t care if it drips off everywhere. Then I go in with either the Stoners tool or just a plain glass MF cloth and basically polish the glass (technically I smear around the lines left by the squeegee and get the corners where it didn`t fit).

Post Thanks / Like

My method is to clean the glass with my chosen glass cleaner. Then my trick is hit the glass with a light mist of distilled water and wipe clean with a fresh cloth. 99% of the time I get all the streaks out that way. Quick and simple for me. Works great after applying RainX too.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the inputs everyone.

One of my biggest problems has always been trying to contort myself in a way to wipe down the glass and do it evenly. Getting into the areas around the glass was another challenge. I seem to do pretty well on our SUV with a larger, more upright windshield, but my car which is small and a more reclined angle really difficult. I`ll try out one of those tools to see if it helps.

I also appreciate the tips on products and techniques with the towels. I`ll start trying them out to see what works best for me.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

EXPDetailing- Heh heh, since what you`re doing now works so well for you, I dunno if I`d consider changing it

rlmccarty2000- I wonder how the Nextzett would compare with my Zep40 (my long-term go-to for nasty glass).

ShaneB- I`m envious that you can get by with just Distilled Water!

Mike lambert- I`m a little surprised you don`t use the Griot`s Polypropylene Window Wipes...gee, sounds like I`m still the only guy here who does use `em. Hope GG doesn`t discontinue those...

Any linting from the PFM for Glass towels yet? I *think* one of mine has started to lint, but I`m not sure (might`ve come from another MF, wasn`t paying close attention ).

And I agree about the linting! Sooner or later, *all* of my MFs end up linting to some extent, no matter what. Sounds like the Zap/Kaywos do *NOT* end up linting, so I`ll try to keep those in mind a little better this time, thanks for mentioning them again.

Dan- That`s how I do it on the house windows (see the thread about household windows), I too still need to follow up with some kind of towel.

Coleroad- Your Distilled Water follow-up seems about the same as my fog-with-breath approach.

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t use those Griots wipes any more. They never worked for me.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I don’t use those Griots wipes any more. They never worked for me.
    Ah, once again the YMMV! What about `em didn`t work for you?

I don`t like them for the initial pass(es), just for the final buff.

Post Thanks / Like

I used them for a final buff but still got streaking. I’m assuming it may have to do with the humid air here most of the year. I’m on the hunt for another cloth to use. I have MF, WW, cotton terry, and huck towels. I think I’ll try PFM glass towels next.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information