Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drying aids?

Post Thanks / Like

Drying aids?

What are you guys using for a drying aid? What is the real deal difference between a DA and a quick detailer?

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Drying aids?

I think most people just use a waffle weave mf and then follow with a quick detailer. Some people use a blower to dry their cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Please see the thread I started on this very subject:
    Suggestions for 2-Bucket Wash Quick-Detailer Spray Drying Aids=

I will suggest that if you are still using old bath towels, a chamois, or cheap waffle-weave microfiber drying towels for drying your vehicle, it is time to make a change to a twisted-weave microfiber drying towel like The Rag Company`s Pluffle or Griot`s Garage PFM drying towels. They really are game-changers in the drying process compared to those previously mentioned. I also use a variable-speed leaf blower myself before using a GG PFM to remove as much excess water as possible, especially those that get caught in cracks and seams on a vehicle, or "hide" in side mirrors or egg-crate front grills or gas cap covers. Just make sure the leaf blower has not been used as a vacuum if it has that feature, or you`ll end up with a leaf-debris riddled vehicle (been there-done that; live and learn)!!

Yes, those of you who frequent this forum recognize that I, Captain Obvious, have linked a few (OK, a lot of) older threads to detailing-related subject matters that keep coming up over-and-over again. I am hoping it does not offend anyone, nor am I implying that the original poster (OP) has not done their due diligence by using the search feature in this forum. I am merely trying to provide information, albeit older, on the subject matter. Like the adage goes, "History (and detailing subjects) repeats itself."
    GB detailer
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I use a leaf blower to get most of the water off . Follow with aquawax or OCW and a regular MF towel to wax as I dry.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess there are a few products that are marketed explicitly as a "drying aid", like Eagle One Wax-As-U-Dry (EO WAUD), if they still make that. But mostly the use of a "drying aid" came about from the recognition that once you get your wash process down-pat, most marring comes from drying, so it`s an attempt to lubricate the interface and minimize any marring.

People used to use QD`s for this, but I really think QD`s are obsolete with the plethora of waterless washes and spray waxes available today. A popular choice is Meguiar`s D156 Synthetic X-press Spray Wax, sold also as a consumer product labeled Ultimate Quik Wax. Another is Duragloss AquaWax (DG AW), which as the name implies, is intended to be used while the car is still wet, although some of us don`t like to use it that way particularly.

You can always use your favorite waterless wash.

Post Thanks / Like

I use ECH2O and a SiO2 mix as both a QD and drying aid. It’s cheap and leaves a little bit of protection and gloss behind.
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m still using either OCS (my wife`s A8) or near-QD strength IUDJ (everything else).

And yes, the IUDJ has basically replaced my QDs and I doubt I`ll bother restocking them if/when I finally use them up.

Post Thanks / Like

DPC Armor and Revive, or Revive and Reflect. They are the slickest combo’s I personally have ever used.

Post Thanks / Like

TheMeanGreen- Gee, you`re really liking the stuff from DPC, huh? I never even heard of `em! But the I don`t really follow this stuff....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I use ECH2O and a SiO2 mix as both a QD and drying aid. It’s cheap and leaves a little bit of protection and gloss behind.
    Use Ech20 and shine supply Clutch. Just added hydro light 2 to the mix and saw no benefit. But original 2part combo beads well and gloss is awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I spray the towels and the car with Griot’s best of show detailer. Plenty of lube and doesn’t affect coatings. You can also use Griot’s rinseless wash and wax or best of show spray wax

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all. I called Griots G and asked what was there recommended drying aid - and to my surprise they said their Spray on Wax. I never used a detail spray as a "drying aid" - spray when the car is wet. I would normally use a "regular" detail spray after my car was dry. The latest one being GG Best of Show Deatler as well as Spped shine and Kentotec`s. PFM` are my towel of choice as well as an Adam`s towel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    TheMeanGreen- Gee, you`re really liking the stuff from DPC, huh? I never even heard of `em! But the I don`t really follow this stuff....
    Yeah, I am really liking the DPC stuff. I have other products that I still have to finish before I fully dive into using the DPC on a regular basis. The slickness created on the panel is greater than N-914, Uber Rinseless, N-914 mixed with D156, ONR, ONR mixed with D156, Mckee`s Rinse Free Wash and Wax, ECH2O, ECH2O mixed with Reload, ECH2O mixed with CMX, 3D Waterless Car Wash, PB Spray and Gloss, PB Spray and Gloss with Carnuba, and OptiClean mixed with ONR. On my slightly softer than medium hardness Lexus paint, the slickness left by a product is very important for me as it keeps my towel moving over the surface with minimal friction, thus helping to reduce towel marring.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

You have to be careful mixing products, you can get a chemical reaction sometimes. I mixed a couple rinseless washes together and ended up with a nasty looking tannish colored soap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    You have to be careful mixing products, you can get a chemical reaction sometimes. I mixed a couple rinseless washes together and ended up with a nasty looking tannish colored soap.
    Of course caution is taken when mixing products from different manufactures together... However all products mixed are within similar families or made by same manufacture or have a history of playing well. D156 and ONR are notorious for playing well, OptiClean and ONR come from the same manufacture and all of OPT`s products a designed to work together, same with CarPro products.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information