Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Drying aids?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Drying aids?

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I have one of those and it`s great. BUT...I wanted another one and they didn`t have `em. I got a "dry" one to hold the above-mentioned MFs, which I get good and damp and then spray with cleaner (rinse/redo maybe four times to get it all done), and then finish up with a Steam Mop, which seems to rinse things well enough.
    I`m not sure I followed that but I just went through some nonsense with MFT, where I ordered two different styles in the same size, and one of them was 2" shorter than it was supposed to be (and 2" shorter than the other one I ordered). So I figured they just sent me the wrong one but they don`t understand, even though I sent them a picture, and they tell me the short ones are right but must have "been cut a little short at the factory"...to which I reply, then maybe you should be selling them as the 2" shorter size?? Whatever. So much for the mop being 2" longer than the head, as they recommend.

Post Thanks / Like

Setec Astronomy- Eh, I just knew I was being inscrutable

The MF-holding Wet Mop with the reservoir and a tube that feeds liquid to the mop head is the one I can`t find at MicroFiberTech any more. The other thing I got recently is like a big Swiffer-Wet pad holder that holds MFs but doesn`t have any liquid dispensing capabilities.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Swiffer wet jet. I wasnt too impressed with it, especially the solution. It leaves my tile floor streaky even when using a minute amount.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I have a Swiffer wet jet. I wasnt too impressed with it, especially the solution. It leaves my tile floor streaky even when using a minute amount.
    Ah, glad I never tried one then. Not that the tile floortiles in question would show streaks all that badly (groundfloor tiles have a somewhat rough surface) the way some other smoother/shinier ones would (I do those with Glass Cleaner or just the Steam Mop).

What about filling the Swiffer with a different liquid? Their regular (non-Wet Jet/pre-moistened) pads weren`t awful IME, but I`d go through a zillion of `em if I relied upon them and I just don`t like using "no rinsing required" stuff other than RW-type products.

Post Thanks / Like

What about filling the Swiffer with a different liquid?.

I tried that but can’t get the cap to the bottle off. Looks like it’s designed so that the consumer has to go buy an entirely new bottle of solution whenever it runs out.

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh, that figures.

Post Thanks / Like

Setec Astronomy- Eh, I just knew I was being inscrutable

The MF-holding Wet Mop with the reservoir and a tube that feeds liquid to the mop head is the one I can`t find at MicroFiberTech any more. The other thing I got recently is like a big Swiffer-Wet pad holder that holds MFs but doesn`t have any liquid dispensing capabilities.
    I`m talking about the "industrial" mop heads and the various wet/dry pads they sell for them. I never find anything the works the way I want so I keep trying other things.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I`m talking about the "industrial" mop heads and the various wet/dry pads they sell for them. I never find anything the works the way I want so I keep trying other things.
    Ah, those are the metal ones, right? I have the plastic 16" "Household" version.

I guess *nothing* is gonna make my nightly floor cleaning go quite as quick/easy as I`d like, but the current approach isn`t awful.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, those are the metal ones, right? I have the plastic 16" "Household" version.

I guess *nothing* is gonna make my nightly floor cleaning go quite as quick/easy as I`d like, but the current approach isn`t awful.
    Yeah, that was the first one I bought, but then I wanted a "premium" wet mop pad, which they didn`t have in that size, only the next size up, so I bought the 18" mop head and the 20" "premium" pads which turned out to be 18" (so I could have just used them with my existing head, d`oh).

Post Thanks / Like

What are some of the specific names/types of microfiber towels/clothes that Autopians use for applying these drying aids to vehicles?
    Maybe I am "confused" (an understatement, Captain Obvious!) but I would dry my vehicle by:
    1) Blowing off the rinse water with a leaf blower
    2) Follow with Griot`s Garage PFM drying towels
    3) Apply suggested drying aids with requested suggestions of microfiber types
    OR am I suppose to use the drying aid WITH the GG PFM towels in step 2?? (I hate the idea of having a drying aid "contaminate" and diminish the drying ability of GG PFM towels.)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

With PFM towels, I really don’t seem to see a big need for a drying aid. I used to with the waffle weave towels at times.
    2014 Ford Mustang GT Track Pack- Black
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado- Summit White
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited- Silver

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t see a need for a drying aid with them either. That’s part of what makes them so great.

Post Thanks / Like

My Dry Me Crazy MFs dry a vehicle just fine (zero confidence that a PFM could be better as there are no deficiencies with the DMCs). But the Drying Aid is still beneficial to me or I wouldn`t bother using it

-Added lubrication just in case (yeah...even after I spend hours doing the wash I still might`ve missed something)
    -Added Sacrificial Layer (even if minimal)
    -Slightly improved appearance (if I didn`t notice it I wouldn`t bother)

That`s leaving aside the "wax with OCW at almost every wash" approach I`m using on the A8.

I either just use my DMCs/regular Drying MFs or I`ll use a two-towel approach. But whatever MFs I`m using, they`ll be thick and plush and I always fog the surface with my breath for the final buff.

No, the Drying Aids have *not* compromised the absorbency of my Drying MFs, although IME they all eventually become less effective sooner or later. But I generally use "LSP buff-off" MFs with the OCW rather than my Drying Towels..not that I`m all that consistent about it.

I blow off ~95% of the water with the AirWand, spritz a little Drying Aid on the (basically already perfectly dry) panel, buff that off and do another final buff. After I`ve done everything except the underneath (and I might only do a cursory job of the engine compartment the first time around, finishing that up later too), I go back over it with the compressor to get water out of the nooks/crannies, often using more spritzes of Drying Aid since sometimes that water isn`t perfectly clean (the recesses of my vehicles are basically impossible to clean 100%). THEN I finish up the engine compartment, jack it back up, and do the underneath, also with a Drying Aid but with different (not so good) towels. Spraywaxing (or even just IUDJing) the underneath as its last step every time adds up, eventually it`s a lot easier to keep clean.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll use a drying aid perhaps every other wash...flood rinse, Platinum Pluffle and Overcoat. Makes drying easier, adds a bit of goodness.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I use ECH2O and a SiO2 mix as both a QD and drying aid. It’s cheap and leavesmlll? a little bit of protection and gloss behind.
    ok

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information