Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drying aids?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Drying aids?

TheMeanGreen- Ah, OK, thanks for the explanation, you`ve sure tried a lot of things to compare it to!

And yeah, there are some such products that are surprisingly (well, to me at least) compatible. ONR/OCE/IUDJ/UQW..D156/etc. all do fine for me, though I never actually mixed them together.

I never get much in the way of slickness out of ONR at all, and anything I clean with that stuff is harder to clean the next time (so the ONR just gets used for household stuff now).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    TheMeanGreen- Ah, OK, thanks for the explanation, you`ve sure tried a lot of things to compare it to!

And yeah, there are some such products that are surprisingly (well, to me at least) compatible. ONR/OCE/IUDJ/UQW..D156/etc. all do fine for me, though I never actually mixed them together.

I never get much in the way of slickness out of ONR at all, and anything I clean with that stuff is harder to clean the next time (so the ONR just gets used for household stuff now).
    Yeah, I really like to mix products and see what happens, so far nothing has exploded. Ha.

I feel like ONR is way over hyped, I have 20oz left and have no idea how I can get rid it. ONR does work well for QID.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    I feel like ONR is way over hyped, I have 20oz left and have no idea how I can get rid it. ONR does work well for QID.
    Try using it as a household dusting spray. I ended up with a *gallon* of ONR with no idea what I`d do with it, and luckily I tried using it in place of Endust/Pledge/etc. in the house- works great! I`ve always been good about the housekeeping, but dusting with ONR took it to a whole `nother level, really surprised me what a diff it makes.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, now I have to jump in here.

So if your using it as a "Endust/Pledge/etc."...

I am always looking at different ways to clean these giant *read long* faux wood blinds. They are about 2 inches wide and they are a son of a gun to not only get clean but also keep clean. I also have some "blinds" I would call them that are infront of my sliding glass door that heads out to the deck. I would love to use some auto supplies to clean these.

I have used an ONR mixture when hand mopping the LVT in the kitchen and dining room and was awesome.

Anyways, what ratio are you mixing for the "endust/pledge" situation?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by screeby View Post
    Ok, now I have to jump in here.

So if your using it as a "Endust/Pledge/etc."..... what ratio are you mixing for the "endust/pledge" situation?
    Not quite QD-strength these days now that it`s built up a little [whatever it leaves behind]. I used it at regular QD-strength ( ~3/4oz. + 16oz. water) for the first year or so.

Just mixed up some the other day, used about half an ounce + about 16oz. water. I`m not being even remotely precise about it.

I bet it`d be perfect for those blinds. I have some wooden venetian blinds that are a big PIA to dust, and the finish on those is almost certainly very similar to your faux wood. Things *stay* cleaner with the ONR...I sure won`t say "anti-static", but after a while (just give it time..) I`m confident you`ll notice the same thing.

I was a real Furniture Care Snob for ages, but switching to ONR was a real eye-opener and now I`m an utter fanboy for the approach. It`s no exaggeration to say it made a significant difference in my life. And/but I`m still not a fan of it for Detailing (though in all fairness, I haven`t tried the current version of it), so for me to rave about it for any purpose is really something!

I do find that IUDJ works a lot better on some surfaces, especially glazed porcelains on stuff like toilets/sinks/etc., but then I think IUDJ is better all-around anyhow.

Post Thanks / Like

While I have noticed your a fan of the IUDJ I really don`t need to purchase anymore chemicals of that type for a while. I need to use up some of what I have and I have been using the N914 for automotive stuff recently. I do have to say I am not sure how much better it is but it is more versatile as far as mixing up the ratios for what your needing. I use it after polishing to help with the oils that may be there.

I agree on the ONR in the house though, using it on the floor was amazing and it is odd. It does seem to stay cleaner longer. It wasn`t just my imagaination either as the wife made the same comment to me.

Thanks for the ratio, I may even mess with the blinds tonite.

KM

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Not quite QD-strength these days now that it`s built up a little [whatever it leaves behind]. I used it at regular QD-strength ( ~3/4oz. + 16oz. water) for the first year or so.

Just mixed up some the other day, used about half an ounce + about 16oz. water. I`m not being even remotely precise about it.

I bet it`d be perfect for those blinds. I have some wooden venetian blinds that are a big PIA to dust, and the finish on those is almost certainly very similar to your faux wood. Things *stay* cleaner with the ONR...I sure won`t say "anti-static", but after a while (just give it time..) I`m confident you`ll notice the same thing.

I was a real Furniture Care Snob for ages, but switching to ONR was a real eye-opener and now I`m an utter fanboy for the approach. It`s no exaggeration to say it made a significant difference in my life. And/but I`m still not a fan of it for Detailing (though in all fairness, I haven`t tried the current version of it), so for me to rave about it for any purpose is really something!

I do find that IUDJ works a lot better on some surfaces, especially glazed porcelains on stuff like toilets/sinks/etc., but then I think IUDJ is better all-around anyhow.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure about using ONR on Luxury Vinyl Tile (LVT) flooring, as it might clean and shine it, but doesn`t that make it slick/slippery as well??
    Just a safety concern. (That said from someone who as a kid had the "bright idea" to carnauba car wax the linoleum flooring so my brothers and me could have a contest to see who could slide the farthest in their stocking feet across this "waxed" floor. Mom was NOT impressed and it was a bugger to remove by hand! I did "learn" that wool socks are better than cotton for sliding. Again, Mom was NOT impressed with this "revelation".)

Anyway, from Accumulator`s use of ONR on furniture to replace Endust/Pledge/Other Furniture "polishes", I thought it was not a good idea, until I realized that Pledge is mostly silicone and not carnauba wax, so why not clean and "wax" with ONR! What ever is in it for "shine" certainly cannot hurt vinyl-clad furniture or varnished wood furniture. Not so sure about bare wood or that which is just stained.

By the way IUDJ is professional detailer Gerry Dean`s own concoction of "Infinite Use Detailing Juice". I just have a "difficult" time justifying it at $160.00 per gallon, even if his recommended mixing ratio is 52:1 (about 2.5 oz. of product to 1 gallon of distilled water) for use as a rinse-less wash. Then again the math says that is only about $3.75 per gallon, including the cost of a gallon distilled water and you do not have to use a QD or spray wax after using it. Accumulator, you are one of the few detailers, hobbyist or profession, who SWEAR by using IUDJ.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    I am not sure about using ONR on Luxury Vinyl Tile (LVT) flooring, as it might clean and shine it, but doesn`t that make it slick/slippery as well??
    Just a safety concern. (That said from someone who as a kid had the "bright idea" to carnauba car wax the linoleum flooring so my brothers and me could have a contest to see who could slide the farthest in their stocking feet across this "waxed" floor. Mom was NOT impressed and it was a bugger to remove by hand! I did "learn" that wool socks are better than cotton for sliding. Again, Mom was NOT impressed with this "revelation".)
    Honestly I did not think the slick/slippery was much different then when I use a steam mop. When a person uses something like a "wet swifter" it almost feels slicker but it isn`t as clean(i don`t think) and it certainly looks dirtier quicker(again, my opinion).

I don`t mind it being a little slick as it makes cleaning it easier, think young children around the kitchen table. Although that has gotten better and less of an issue as they have grown older, now its things like play-doh.

KM

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Just a safety concern.
    I bought some microfiber mops from MFT--rather than use a bucket and dunking them, it seemed like I should try spraying the mop with something. I`ve used water, and I`ve used V.2 ONR (not the latest version but the one before) and the ONR (at rinseless concentration) didn`t make the floor slippery. However, one time I tried UWW (at the WW concentration) and that WAS kind of slippery.

Post Thanks / Like

Drying aids?

Yes IUDJ and other products of waterless rinseless fame will make the floor slick especially with socks !

ONR is pretty similar to bona in its feel after, meaning not slick

I have not tried it as a duster. Good idea

I love IUDJ on vehicles it’s just every 3 months a new waterless rinseless sensation that is “the best” is coming out with all the shill and non shill reviews of people acting like it changed a worn out paint job to a swirl free liquid gloss beauty with just a drop of formula. So you buy it and use it a few times and realize it’s the same as the last 3 you bought just a different color

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Dan, bob m, Coatings=crack, Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by screeby View Post
    While I have noticed your a fan of the IUDJ I really don`t need to purchase anymore chemicals of that type for a while. I need to use up some of what I have...
    I`m doing the same thing! Got tired of, uhm...accumulating...lots of stuff I`ll never use.

.. I have been using the N914 for automotive stuff recently... I use it after polishing to help with the oils that may be there.
    Hey, that`s interesting! My IUDJ/ONR/any QDs/etc. are utterly INeffective on Polishing Oils, like...zero stripping.
    I agree on the ONR in the house though, using it on the floor was amazing and it is odd. It does seem to stay cleaner longer. It wasn`t just my imagaination either as the wife made the same comment to me.
    Nice surprise huh?!? My wife was initially a little leery of the idea until I explained how there`s nothing in RW/etc. that`s any worse than the stuff in Household Dusting Sprays.

Thanks for the ratio, I may even mess with the blinds tonite.
    Hope it works was well for you as it does for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie
    Anyway, from Accumulator`s use of ONR on furniture to replace Endust/Pledge/Other Furniture "polishes", I thought it was not a good idea, until I realized that Pledge is mostly silicone and not carnauba wax, so why not clean and "wax" with ONR! What ever is in it for "shine" certainly cannot hurt vinyl-clad furniture or varnished wood furniture. Not so sure about bare wood or that which is just stained.
    We have some areas where the wood`s finish is, uhm...severely compromised...and zero problems from using the ONR on it. It might even do a little half-@$$ed "restoration" on those surfaces. "Test spot.." and all that, but I wouldn`t be too worried.

By the way IUDJ is professional detailer Gerry Dean`s own concoction of "Infinite Use Detailing Juice". I just have a "difficult" time justifying it at $160.00 per gallon, even if his recommended mixing ratio is 52:1 (about 2.5 oz. of product to 1 gallon of distilled water) for use as a rinse-less wash. Then again the math says that is only about $3.75 per gallon, including the cost of a gallon distilled water and you do not have to use a QD or spray wax after using it. Accumulator, you are one of the few detailers, hobbyist or profession, who SWEAR by using IUDJ.
    Yeah, I too did the math as part of, well...talking myself into buying it, which I`ll admit I was predisposed against it based on my experiences with ONR (and previously QEW) and my take on Garry`s, uhm...online persona. But buying that stuff was one of the best Detailing decisions I`ve ever made, right up there with trying FK1000P (another I had to be talked into). Heh heh, good thing since I went all-in and bought a gallon of the stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman
    ONR is pretty similar to bona in its feel after, meaning not slick..
    That`s a good way to describe it. Hope you like it just as well for a Dusting Spray. I`d definitely spray it on the dusting MF as opposed to directly on the furniture though.

Post Thanks / Like

I like where you guys are going with this thread. I prefer using my diminishing stash of megs D114 for mopping travertine floors with Rasta microfiber mop heads. ONR on the other hand worked really well on painted wood blinds. Been doing that for years. A MF towel dampened in ONR just seems to work well on dusty surfaces. I use rag co premium terry towels for house cleaning, I think they are about 360 gsm or something.

Post Thanks / Like

For drying aids I use one of two types of product: Either a quick detail spray, or a spray sealant. Kinda just depends on the protection of the car. Right now for my detail spray drying aids, I am using Shine Supply Ride Shine, Rocket Wax Detail Spray, and Griots Best of Show Spray Wax. All work well and don`t streak--they just provide a little extra lubrication while you dry. About once a month, or after every wash in winter (to combat road salt), I use a spray sealant as the drying aid. These come in many forms, but right now am using Shine Supply Wet Detailer, Shine Supply Punch-It, Adam`s H20 Guard and Gloss, and Surf City Garage Ceramic Sealant.

For drying aids on coated cars I only use one of three products: Shine Supply Clutch, Shine Supply Punch-it, and Shine Supply Throttle. I do Throttle after most washes, Punch-It about once a month, and Clutch every 3-6 months. Keeps the coating hyrdrophobics looking ridiculous and the car looking great.

I have not yet tried any of my drying aids on my floors yet. I think if I used Clutch on my floor I would slip and die hahahah
    Michael Daboll
    Aspire Premier Auto Detailing

-2019 Hyundai Veloster Turbo R Spec 6 Speed Manual (Daily Driver Boston)
    -2011 BMW 328i Sedan 6 Speed Auto (Daily Driver San Diego)
    -1981 Datsun 280zx 5 Speed Manual (Autocross/ Track/ Project Car)
    -1991 Cadillac Deville 4 Speed Auto (Ex-Boston Daily Driver turned project due to rust)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RMD View Post
    I use rag co premium terry towels for house cleaning, I think they are about 360 gsm or something.
    I`m using some cheapies from...eh, I forget, boughta a gross (!) of `em years ago...for dusting/etc., and/but TRC Premium Terry for the nightly damp-wiping of the tile floors (on a mop/holder from MFT). I`m pretty sure they`re 410gsm. Rubbing them against the tiles all the time does wear `em out kinda fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    I bought some microfiber mops from MFT--rather than use a bucket and dunking them, it seemed like I should try spraying the mop with something.
    I have one of those and it`s great. BUT...I wanted another one and they didn`t have `em. I got a "dry" one to hold the above-mentioned MFs, which I get good and damp and then spray with cleaner (rinse/redo maybe four times to get it all done), and then finish up with a Steam Mop, which seems to rinse things well enough.

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to add, for the new-to-the-hobby folks out there, that the use of a drying aid is one of those cornerstone additions to your car care ritual that will put you on the path to righteousness. Don`t overthink what you are using, JUST USE IT.
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information