Thread: MF question

Post Thanks / Like

MF question

Okay, I understand what I am about to ask might be blasphemy on a forum dedicated to the fine art of detailing, but I am trying to understand the differences in Microfiber towels. What makes MF towels from here so much better then the ones you can get from say Amazon or AutoZone or even Wal-Mart from the automotive section. I do understand quality, but I am asking the general make up. Are, lets say, Cobra towels made from better fibers, are they softer so they wont mar, or is it they are just longer lasting with less maintenance needs? Sorry to sound like a total noob, but I am just wondering.

Thanks for the information in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: MF question

Feel em

You figure it out quickly.

Also, look at the seams. Are they sewn with nylon?
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: MF question

XCaliber- While I`m an insufferable [INSERT product type here] snob most of the time, I find that with MFs I can seldom predict what I will/won`t like based on the description or even the opinions of others.

So from a different angle, I`m coming up with Ronkh`s answer too.

AS for marring, CD-test everything and it won`t be an issue. I still have some pretty [crappy] MFs that most Autopians would throw out, but they still do what I ask of them with zero problems so IMO they`re OK.

That said, once you do start trying out different ones, you might quickly find that seemingly subtle diffs mean a lot to you.

Give some thought to stuff (besides what Ron suggested about seams/etc.) that can factor in- do you like looped MF or "cut"/shaggy ones, light/thin or heavy/thick, sewn edges/laser(?) cut/edgeless, light colored/dark, plush/low or no-nap suede-style ones, big/smaller,inexpensive/pricey....different things to consider and what *you* like might be outside the norm.

So I suggest you study up on the different types and stuff like what I listed above, and then see which examples of [whatever you think you`ll like] people here like best.

I *still* don`t have much knowledge/opinion/preference on stuff like country of origin or % composition, and I don`t feel the least bit handicapped by that ignorance.

Thread Information