Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Late to the party... pfm first impressions

Thought I`d bump my own thread here, as I`ve had plenty of time to test these. Again, I`m not someone to jump up and down about towels but I`m pretty happy with how these are working.

Pros:
    -No marring thus far. Much of this due to me being disciplined with my wash procedure, and pulling out the pressure washer for every wash. However with these towels you can dry with a very light touch, more so than with most other kinds of weaves I think. You could probably forego a drying aid if you`re bold enough.
    -The light grey color makes it fairly easy to see if you accidentally pick up dirt. A yellow or white color would be even better. We`ve talked about this before on here. On a daily driver I`m occasionally gonna pick something up around the wiper blades, body seams, etc. This is my beef with the Twistress, why would you make that towel only in black?
    -Two 16x16 towels is plenty to dry a small crossover. I don`t sheet rinse or anything so there`s always a lot of water to soak up after I pressure rinse.
    -They`re washing up nicely. I don`t baby my towels, they get washed on hot and dried on low with the rest. To be honest, I`ve never had problems with washing microfiber.
    -Zero lint

Cons:
    -They`re a bear to wring out. You`re probably asking why I`m trying to wring one out when I said two was more than enough to dry a car. Well I`m still working my way through a gallon of H2O guard and gloss, and the application requires spreading with a damp towel and buffing with a dry one. So you need to wring out the damp towel as you go along. Easy fix is use any regular towel for the first pass and buff with the pfm. Just thought I`d try it, and not really a "con." Remember I`m using the 860 gsm version, I can only imagine what trying to wring the new 1120 gsm one is like.
    -One of the little loops pulled out leaving a "string." Seriously not a big deal at all and I could clip it if I really cared. I feel like this is complaining that your wheel bucket got stained.

I`m satisfied, and I think the "twist-loop" construction is here to stay. Can you still dry a car using other types of microfiber? Sure, there was nothing wrong with my method of wiping with a damp, plush microfiber and buffing with a waffle weave. But for an idiot-proof drying towel that works in any situation, I wouldn`t hesitate to recommend these.
    Thanks Marine Clerk thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

DetailZeus- Thanks for the update! I still can`t sell myself on the "twist-loop", but I *am* paying attention and you never know.

Post Thanks / Like

Twist loop works for me.

The Blue window towels and the larger Grey towels both utilize this technology.

Quite satisfied with their functionality.

Because they`re such a bear to wring out, I just do a rinse and spin cycle or just a spin cycle on the washer to help it start to dry.

Post Thanks / Like

I too *love* the PMFs for Glass, but they`re too small..way too small. And I generally like my MFs on the smaller side!

Wringing them out...I dunno if I`ve wrung out MF towels enough times to even have an opinion on the subject other than "why do that instead of getting out a dry one?" Some people have said that a damp MF works effectively, but IME they *always* leave a tiny amount of water on the surface that then evaporates, and I don`t want that. I mean...if I get the inspection conditions right I can *see* the tiny drops of water, and those aren`t left there if I use a dry MF. Heh heh, I fully accept that different people have different experiences, but I`ve simply never had a significantly damp drying medium get every last bit of water off any surface, not once in my life.

Post Thanks / Like

Umm.. Those instructions are meant for After you`ve dried the car, not for reusing the same towel.

That`s why I use a fresh medium size towel to touch up any spots the larger towel can`t get to.

My comments about them being a bear to wring out were related to DetailZeus`s experience.

Never wrung mine out, just used the prescribed method mentioned in my previous post.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I too *love* the PMFs for Glass, but they`re too small..way too small. And I generally like my MFs on the smaller side!

Wringing them out...I dunno if I`ve wrung out MF towels enough times to even have an opinion on the subject other than "why do that instead of getting out a dry one?" Some people have said that a damp MF works effectively, but IME they *always* leave a tiny amount of water on the surface that then evaporates, and I don`t want that. I mean...if I get the inspection conditions right I can *see* the tiny drops of water, and those aren`t left there if I use a dry MF. Heh heh, I fully accept that different people have different experiences, but I`ve simply never had a significantly damp drying medium get every last bit of water off any surface, not once in my life.
    I agree that a damp towel leaves streaks. And my water is HARD so I didn`t want to let it evaporate, hence the second pass with the waffle weave. Damp towel was a plush microfiber that was a pain to prime when dry and would just smear water around, so the best option was to dunk and wring it. Would have two or three dry waffle weaves worked? I`m sure it would have, but i only owned one. But now I have two little pfms so the waffle is just used for glass

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marine Clerk View Post
    Umm.. Those instructions are meant for After you`ve dried the car, not for reusing the same towel.

That`s why I use a fresh medium size towel to touch up any spots the larger towel can`t get to.

My comments about them being a bear to wring out were related to DetailZeus`s experience.

Never wrung mine out, just used the prescribed method mentioned in my previous post.
    Heh heh...!oops!...sorry, gee, I totally misinterpreted that, huh?

I always wash/dry my Drying Towels after use, so that just never occurred to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DetailZeus View Post
    I agree that a damp towel leaves streaks. And my water is HARD so I didn`t want to let it evaporate, hence the second pass with the waffle weave. Damp towel was a plush microfiber that was a pain to prime when dry and would just smear water around, so the best option was to dunk and wring it. Would have two or three dry waffle weaves worked? I`m sure it would have, but i only owned one. But now I have two little pfms so the waffle is just used for glass
    Ah, OK...thanks for explaining. Sheesh, I`m sure making you guys work at this, trying to explain it to me

Yeah, seems like all of my MF Drying Towels eventually just do the "move water around", at which point I retire them. Whenever I tried the "dampen first, then.." I felt that I was wasting time/effort so I wasted $ instead, buying new/different ones.
    Likes DetailZeus liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information