Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NW Iowa
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like

    I have a towel problem...

    Background....

    I own a 2011 F150 crewcab and 2014 Explorer. About two months ago I polished them, truck with Ultimate Polish, Griot`s cleaner was on the explorer. Used a HF DA with HF Orange pads (I know the pads are junk and they won`t be used again) and the process went well. I finished both with Ultimate Was.

    One week later I used Meguiars Fast Finish. Maintenance washing typically with ONR GD method as I have for years.

    I am using yellow Costco mf for my washes and haven`t had any issues that I have seen with them in the last 4 years or so.

    Saturday I got the explorer in the garage after the kids went to bed, washed and found some what I will call "scratches". I believe they are from my drying waffle weave. I don`t like them as they are cheap and feel "prickly" if that is a word I can use. Rough would maybe work.

    I feel I am inducing these with the drying process. They weren`t there the last wash from my memory.

    Now, I know there is a drying towel "showdown" in the works and I am watching it but I am wanting to pull the trigger before this is done I am thinking.

    I would like to buy at least 3 drying, does anybody have one they wouldn`t live without? Should I buy 3 different ones and see which one I like for done the road? Are there any "clunkers" I need to flat stay away from?

    I am like any other working man with a wife and two kids so no money tree but maybe I buy two now and add later. Just intimidating with the amount of towels out there.

    I hope this rambling mess makes sense to someone.

    KM

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    39
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I have a towel problem...

    Quote Originally Posted by screeby View Post
    Background....

    I own a 2011 F150 crewcab and 2014 Explorer. About two months ago I polished them, truck with Ultimate Polish, Griot`s cleaner was on the explorer. Used a HF DA with HF Orange pads (I know the pads are junk and they won`t be used again) and the process went well. I finished both with Ultimate Was.

    One week later I used Meguiars Fast Finish. Maintenance washing typically with ONR GD method as I have for years.

    I am using yellow Costco mf for my washes and haven`t had any issues that I have seen with them in the last 4 years or so.

    Saturday I got the explorer in the garage after the kids went to bed, washed and found some what I will call "scratches". I believe they are from my drying waffle weave. I don`t like them as they are cheap and feel "prickly" if that is a word I can use. Rough would maybe work.

    I feel I am inducing these with the drying process. They weren`t there the last wash from my memory.

    Now, I know there is a drying towel "showdown" in the works and I am watching it but I am wanting to pull the trigger before this is done I am thinking.

    I would like to buy at least 3 drying, does anybody have one they wouldn`t live without? Should I buy 3 different ones and see which one I like for done the road? Are there any "clunkers" I need to flat stay away from?

    I am like any other working man with a wife and two kids so no money tree but maybe I buy two now and add later. Just intimidating with the amount of towels out there.

    I hope this rambling mess makes sense to someone.

    KM
    This morning I posted a table of all the towels in testing. Take a look and decide from that. They are all good towels. It really depends on your budget at this point, some at pretty damn good prices for what you get.

    Keep in mind the intended use. Some are for regular washes type and some are better for WW or RW.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    NLove's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Plymouth, MN
    Posts
    126
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I have a towel problem...

    I personally don’t think all waffle weaves are created equal. With that being said I like meguiars waffles without the border and the rag company waffles, they seem like they are pretty soft. I very rarely used ww on the paint anymore and only used them on glass since they leave it streak and lint free. IMO they feel grabby on the paint.

    For paint Griots PFM or the big blue towel are my favorites, they both have their advantages. I also like the pluffle, On the other hand I don’t care much for the rag companies twistress. It doesn’t feel plush to me, I might try the twist n shout which looks a little nicer or wait on the review. The rag company has great products and excellent customer service, so you can’t go wrong buying from them.
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    LI
    Posts
    3,981
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I have a towel problem...

    Get yourself some the rag company twistress towels and you will be good. Just remember pull the towel over paint. Dont use more than towel pressure. On soft black paints its difficult. I had an Infiniti car that was black and it hard to dry mar free. I purchased a master blaster to help.

  5. #5
    jvs1991's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    236
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I have a towel problem...

    I liked the microfiber madness waffle weaves. Sorta pricey though. I bought a twistress to try out though. Can`t stomach that cost of the microfiber madness towels again lol.

    The meguiars waffle weaves are ok for me. Mine are a little bit older now but they don`t hold much water. I have some guzzlers too, they`re in the middle of the pack for me.

    I really feel most of the swirls I get are from drying towels, either pressing too hard or going over the same section too often. My car is a daily driver so I don`t really get too too concerned w light minor swirls that will be taken out w a light polish. My car is also a lease so I don`t get too wrapped up in perfect paint Bc the car won`t be mine for long.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Wgasa84 liked this post

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    599
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I have a towel problem...

    What towel were you using to dry with before that wasnít causing the scratches when drying ?

    I had the same problem with some waffle weaves.

    Have you watched any videos on proper towel drying. It sounds silly but I didnít know the proper method lol

    There is method where you just lay the entire towel flat on the vehicle and sorta pat or press on the towel to absorb the water without moving it what so ever. Most waffle weaves are best at this. There is a method where you place the towel on the panel and then pull by the corners close to you dragging it across like you are pulling a table cloth across a table with just the weight of the towel on the paint to absorb the water. Some towels are good at this.

    It almost seems to be an either or. Just depending on what towel you get

    Me I was just folding the towel and rubbing it on the paint lol well that doesnít work apparently unless you have really tough paint and are lucky with towel selection.

    So you have to almost determine was type of drying you want. Then pick a towel

    Although incredibly long the two part forensic detailing towel video shows some of this technique and some reviews of towels available here

    Then you have to decide if you want a giant unwieldy towel or a more manageable size.

    There is waffle weave, Fluffy/plush, twisted loop, and a fluffy hybrid type of waffle weave off the top of my head


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Wgasa84, SWETM liked this post

  7. #7
    DETAILED TODAY? PA DETAILER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    4,779
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I have a towel problem...

    https://www.autopia-carcare.com/pfm-...l#.WdtZQLpFxjo

    They make a larger size also. Best money I ever spent on a drying towel.

    https://www.autopia-carcare.com/pfm-...l#.WdtaFrpFxjo
    2012 NISSAN XTERRA PRO 4X
    www.autiopia.org
    Likes RaskyR1 liked this post

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Reisterstown Md.
    Posts
    1,518
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I have a towel problem...

    Nothing touches paint in my shop but Griot’s PFM towels
    Likes PA DETAILER, BadgerRivFan, RaskyR1 liked this post

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    39
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I have a towel problem...

    Quote Originally Posted by NLove View Post
    I personally donít think all waffle weaves are created equal. With that being said I like meguiars waffles without the border and the rag company waffles, they seem like they are pretty soft. I very rarely used ww on the paint anymore and only used them on glass since they leave it streak and lint free. IMO they feel grabby on the paint.
    Very true. I`m shocked at the difference between the various waffle weaves. For softness, if go pluffle.

    Quote Originally Posted by NLove View Post

    For paint Griots PFM or the big blue towel are my favorites, they both have their advantages. I also like the pluffle, On the other hand I donít care much for the rag companies twistress. It doesnít feel plush to me, I might try the twist n shout which looks a little nicer or wait on the review. The rag company has great products and excellent customer service, so you canít go wrong buying from them.
    The Twistress is nice, about as soft as the rest of this type of towel. Picks up a good amount of water and inexpensive for what it does...

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NW Iowa
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I have a towel problem...

    First off, thank you to all that have replied. I honestly was not sure what type of response this type of post would get.

    The responses are what I hoped for.

    It appears that Griot`s and the Twistress are getting some love. Being an OTC guy mainly I am "familiar" with Meguiars products so their towel came across my mind but wasn`t sure of quality. It receiving some love is kinda interesting.

    I will take a look at the towel comp post and use that to help guide me as well.

    Again thanks to all that have given input as it is appreciated.

    KM

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I have a towel problem...

    Quote Originally Posted by screeby View Post
    First off, thank you to all that have replied. I honestly was not sure what type of response this type of post would get.

    The responses are what I hoped for.

    It appears that Griot`s and the Twistress are getting some love. Being an OTC guy mainly I am "familiar" with Meguiars products so their towel came across my mind but wasn`t sure of quality. It receiving some love is kinda interesting.

    I will take a look at the towel comp post and use that to help guide me as well.

    Again thanks to all that have given input as it is appreciated.

    KM
    Hey KM, I tried to PM you but it says you`re not set up for it. If you`d like, I could send you a few towels. Was thinking a Big Blue, GG PFM 16x16 and a TRC Dry Me A River. Let me know man.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NW Iowa
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I have a towel problem...

    Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    Hey KM, I tried to PM you but it says you`re not set up for it. If you`d like, I could send you a few towels. Was thinking a Big Blue, GG PFM 16x16 and a TRC Dry Me A River. Let me know man.
    I just looked into the PM issue, and it was infact turned off. I am not sure how that happened as I have sent PM`s before on this site, they were still in there actually.

    I am sending you a PM shortly.

    KM

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    79,936
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I have a towel problem...

    Screeby- IMO anything that touches the paint should be subjected to the CD-test. Do your WWMFs pass?

    FWIW, no more Waffle Weaves for me, I do *MUCH* better with plush MF Drying Towels.

  14. #14
    512detail's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Kyle, Tx
    Posts
    8,352
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I have a towel problem...

    this is one massive test
    thanks for the undertaking
    you might consider finding a semi truck and trailer and some scaffolding and a long water hose for this test


    Brandt K.
    Likes Wgasa84 liked this post

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Posts
    1,127
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I have a towel problem...

    I am with Accum. No waffles for me for drying. I am partial to the Woobie Plush MF for several reasons. One, the Woobie Plush dries very easily without much pressure and is super absorbant. Also, with it being edgeless, this reduces the ability of the MF to scratch due to the lack of stitching for the edging. Also, when drying, you can use a quick detailer or spray wax to assist with the lubrication when drying to help minimize scratching. As backwards as this may seem as well, I will always first rinse the MF, wring it out and then apply a quick detailer or spray wax directly to the MF and work it into the MF a little to make sure I am not drying with a dry MF. Even though it is wet, it still dries very well. I will often apply additional detail spray or spray wax directly to the surface when drying. This is just my personal technique and it has worked well for me for many years to greatly reduce drying induced scratches.

    I hope this helps.
    Ryan

 

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Towel Pros Microfiber Ribbed Glass Towel
    By David Fermani in forum Car Detailing Product Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-28-2013, 10:55 PM
  2. Towel similar to Danase Devourer and best microfiber drying towel
    By kajunman in forum Car Detailing Product Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-01-2010, 02:27 PM
  3. Towel Problem after washing
    By booyah in forum Car Detailing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-11-2009, 11:39 AM
  4. Please advise!! Towel dye problem!
    By ice_nyne in forum Car Detailing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-05-2003, 12:36 PM
  5. Tacscar `Ultimate` MF Towel - problem ?
    By carcover in forum Car Detailing
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •