Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I have a towel problem...

I`ve slowly phased out all my old waffle weave drying towels and I`m only using Griot`s PFM drying towels now. You can get them locally at Advance Auto Parts...for some reason they actually carry a unique version that is the perfect size and I like the teal boarder too.

Post Thanks / Like

Accum. - I have not done a CD test in quite sometime, to be honest, I don`t think I need to. What may be the worst part about all this is, I am thinking I did this to my self. I go through the work of polishing both over the course of two weekends and then 2 months later I see issues.

NOW. I am not gonna tell you they were perfect. They weren`t. BUT, doing this to a vehicle isn`t cool. It is frustrating. Probably my dutch background of not wanting to spend money on something when I have something that "works" but then burns ya. I guess that is why when I buy some new towels I want them to be the correct towels and will help with this issue. As now winter is coming and here in the NW corner of Iowa we will see pretreat, salt and sand on roads for months.

In the incoming weather I have been known to do a conventional wash. I do this by filling my own 5 gallon bucket with my own water and soap. I soak the vehicle with "rinse" water, wash with my soap and media, rinse. Go to my heated 2 stall attached garage and dry. This has worked for me in the past.

I say that now (i hope not to late) as I would like to use the drying towels for this as well. I don`t know why it would be an issue but thought I should throw it out there.

KM

Post Thanks / Like

screeby- I absolutely dohn`t want to turn this into some argument, but I don`t get how initial (and even ongoing) CD-testing isn`t necessary. Some of my previously-OK MFs (and other previously-OK stuff as well) will now mar paint under some conditions. But anyhow...

One of my issues with WWs is that if there`s any residual dirt left on the paint after a wash (and IMO that`s not uncommon), the WWs offer less cushioning, fewer chances for that dirt to get safely "caught up in the towel away from the paint (scare-quotes because IMO that doesn`t give much margin for error), and are often used with greater pressure (i.e., against that residual dirt) than a plush MF Drying Towel.

If you`re certain that the marring doesn`t come from the wash itself, I`d look into the chance that residual dirt is to blame and then address that accordingly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    screeby- I absolutely dohn`t want to turn this into some argument, but I don`t get how initial (and even ongoing) CD-testing isn`t necessary. Some of my previously-OK MFs (and other previously-OK stuff as well) will now mar paint under some conditions. But anyhow...

One of my issues with WWs is that if there`s any residual dirt left on the paint after a wash (and IMO that`s not uncommon), the WWs offer less cushioning, fewer chances for that dirt to get safely "caught up in the towel away from the paint (scare-quotes because IMO that doesn`t give much margin for error), and are often used with greater pressure (i.e., against that residual dirt) than a plush MF Drying Towel.

If you`re certain that the marring doesn`t come from the wash itself, I`d look into the chance that residual dirt is to blame and then address that accordingly.
    Accumulator - I just reread outloud what I wrote back to you. When I said that I "didn`t need to" do a CD test. What I was meaning is I have already decided in my head these drying towels were "atleast" a part of the problem, probably a majority of it.

In now way was I saying I don`t think the test has merit. I have done the CD test on my ONR washing towels and they do well. Again, I am not saying I am perfect but with the way the towels felt drying and even to the touch. I just feel that I have to make a change.

I hope that makes sense, none of it was meant in a snarky way, more of a "i know i just created a mess for myself" dejected tone.

KM

Post Thanks / Like

screeby- Hey, I really appreciate that you took the time to clarify that! OK, now I`m on-board and yeah it sounds like it`s New Drying Towel time. Especially since "struggling to do OK with something that doesn`t work for you" is one of my pet peeves.

Hope you find a solution, there are a while lotta very good MF Drying Towels out there to choose from and I assume you`ve seen the Big Test that`s being done in a current thread.

Just FWIW, I`m still liking my Dry Me Crazy towels from Microfiber Madness, and have relegated my WWs to glass-only use (when it comes to the vehicles, still useful for various things around the house).

Post Thanks / Like

I`m no expert, by any means, BUT the GG PFM towels are by far the best I have ever used.

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for Griots PFM`s. I would never go back to drying w waffle weaves after using them. Like Accumulator, all my waffle weaves have now been relegated to cleaning windows.

Two tips on using the PFM`s for drying:
    - The smaller ones are more manageable. Griots does sell a specific PFM drying towel but the smaller size PFM is the exact same material.
    - When you start drying the car do the windows first. They tend to be a little more absorbent when you "prime" them a bit.

The only down side I can think of on the PFM`s is that they do take quite a long time to dry. So you may need a few if you plan on doing more than one cars on consecutive days.
    Likes nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

dschribs- Ah, you bring up an interesting point there...I always launder/machine dry my Drying Towels after every use.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I have to admit, PFM are a game changer. I bought some test towels to see what the hub-bub was about. They are indeed very nice to work with, be sure to avoid the bigger towels as there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. The 16x16 from PepBoys at $8/each are the sweet spot IMO. My waffle weaves are being moved to other household chores.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    My waffle weaves are being moved to other household chores.
    Heh heh, I`m finding them pretty mediocre for that too, they must be in that "dead WW that just moves water around" condition. Even for household stuff I keep preferring plush towels, whether MF or cotton. Just perform better for me, at least over time (some of those WWs *were* really good for a few years).

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh, I`m finding them pretty mediocre for that too, they must be in that "dead WW that just moves water around" condition. Even for household stuff I keep preferring plush towels, whether MF or cotton. Just perform better for me, at least over time (some of those WWs *were* really good for a few years).
    Mine still pick up water fine, but what I`m using them for is wash rags, soak them and then wash things with them, they retain plenty of water and release dirt very well when tossed into the bucket. Basically use them and Mr. Clean was a rinseless wash for stuff like patio furniture, composite decking, doors/frames, windows, you name it.

Post Thanks / Like

Dan- Ah, OK, and lucky you that they still pick up the water! Yeah, I use my old WWs for household windows/mirrors where the now-evident lint isn`t as critical and I recently used one of the old Sonus Wunder Towels with Zep40 for the smooth floor/wall tiles in some of the bathrooms. Still didn`t get all the stuff up that great, but since the Zep40 evaporates I didn`t sweat it. Guess most of my household stuff has enough texture as to require something other than the WWs.

My Mr. Clean still seems to need some degree of rinsing when used at an effective dilution...even just a light pass with a water-only dampened MF is usually enough. But if (OK..."when" ) I skip that it seems to take a little more work the next day, presumably from the residue retaining dirt. But I`m just mixing it up by eye, with a "more is probably better" mindset...the dogs sure do bring the outdoors indoors.

Post Thanks / Like

Dan- Ah, OK, and lucky you that they still pick up the water! Yeah, I use my old WWs for household windows/mirrors where the now-evident lint isn`t as critical and I recently used one of the old Sonus Wunder Towels with Zep40 for the smooth floor/wall tiles in some of the bathrooms. Still didn`t get all the stuff up that great, but since the Zep40 evaporates I didn`t sweat it. Guess most of my household stuff has enough texture as to require something other than the WWs.

My Mr. Clean still seems to need some degree of rinsing when used at an effective dilution...even just a light pass with a water-only dampened MF is usually enough. But if (OK..."when" ) I skip that it seems to take a little more work the next day, presumably from the residue retaining dirt. But I`m just mixing it up by eye, with a "more is probably better" mindset...the dogs sure do bring the outdoors indoors.
    My indoor Mr. Clean solution is pretty mild, and really the stuff indoors just needs a minor dusting. Outdoors where I use a stronger concentration, I count on the rain to do my rinsing. :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Outdoors where I use a stronger concentration, I count on the rain to do my rinsing. :-)
    Heh heh, I kinda count on the rain to do it all when it comes to some outdoor stuff
    Likes Dan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I often see posts with no follow ups and I don`t want to be my pet peeves.

I went ahead and purchased some Griot`s PFM towels and got to wash a vehicle this evening.

Wow

I have been missing out. No other way to put it.

Thank you to everyone that responded and helped me figuring this out. After one use I am happy and hope it stays this way.

Thanks again
    Likes MattPersman, dschribs liked this post
    Thanks MattPersman thanked for this post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information