Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: MF drying towel review. - what would you like to see reviewed and how?

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    My question is:
    What will you do with them AFTER this drying comparison testing is done??
    I plan on doing limited long term results will be posted in the same thread... just need time and a lot of washes to see how they hold up. My dad is still using old bath towels for drying, so I might give him some to help s

Underwriter`s Lab or Consumer`s Report doesn`t have as an "extensive" list like this. Here are some things to consider in doing objective testing.
    1) Measuring the actual physical weight of each towel and then it`s "wet weight" to determine it`s absorption-to-material weight ability scale. A pre-determined mathematical formula/equation to calculate a test number/value is a more "objective" (IE scientifically quantifiable) methodology to accurately and equitably compare towel-to-towel. (I`d swear resident Autopian scientist Kevin Brown is writing/typing this!!)
    If I have time, I plan on doing something similar... just have to figure out the methodology and be able to reasonable repeat the results.
    2) You will also not be able to determine long-term durability without doing number drying cycles and how it`s absorption ability is retained. This also includes its dry weight after many drying cycles, and one that looses its weight significantly is one that I would think "lints or sheds" a lot.
    I will do my best. Absorbancy is hard to test repeatably, especially over time since I can almost guarantee I will use the towels I prefer the most more than the others. I will simply not have time to continuously document the towels past the initial review. With a 2 1/2 yr old daughter and another daughter due in early Nov. my home life will be crazy busy, plus maintaining our 4.5-acre property... hell I already put in 60-80 hours on any given week at work.
    3) Lastly is the cost factor-to- absorption ability. An inexpensive towel that only picks up 75% of what a top-absorption towel will do may be a better `value" if you divide the dollar cost by the wet weight, again as objective number to use as a comparison.
    - See my recent post with all of the data I have in the spreadsheet I`ve put together, it goes over the cost factor too. (I put that together because I`m a cheap a** and I want to know what gives the best bang for the buck. I`m ignoring all marketing as that`s part of my background in Sales & Public Relations - I know how marketing and sales techniques can influence the overall public`s view of a product.

I say this because most comparison tests are subjective in nature, meaning they are subject to the personal opinions and evaluations and judgments of the person viewing the results.
    Like asking which wax is the shiniest. An identical wax on a white car may not "look" the same on a black car right next to it. Or if different waxes were applied to the same color and make of car, lighting will play tricks on a person`s eyes as to what may be deemed "shiniest". My point is there are many factors/variables in doing comparison testing. Mitigating those variables are the tester`s responsibility.

That said, regardless of how you do your testing and present your results, you are to be commended for undertaking such a task. I, and I am sure ALOT of other Autopians, are interested to find out what this comparison testing will discover and reveal about drying towels.
    I`m going to post pictures and a video using "hopefully" the same spots for each towel. I will reduce the variables as much as reasonably possible.

I have already noted of some very striking similarities between some very popular towels and lesser-known competitors towels. These similarities may just be on looks or size.. or they could be the same towel, rebranded... the test will hopefully show if there is a difference. One towel is so close I had to write the initials on the edge materials so I could tell them apart.

Once the forum has the results, it`s each members opinion on how to interpret my results on what towels they purchase.

-Chris
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Curious what you like the best for money or performance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woob View Post
    Curious what you like the best for money or performance.
    I hit a bit of a snag in the middle of the review with my videos and photos being lost so I`m in the process of redoing it all. I am praying I can get it done by between 11/6 & 11/19 as I am on vacation with our soon to be newborn (due 11/2).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

For how much we are all paying you I would have really expected to see some results by now? This is really going to effect your bonus and will certainly be a small footnote in your annual review.

Post Thanks / Like

Good evening everyone. I regrettably am coming you that the review will be postponed for some time longer. I fractured my ankle around 4 hours ago while doing a favor for a friend. I made a poor judgement call by resting the tongue of a trailer on the ball hitch to be able to adjust the trailer jack pin another notch lower (set to high from a lifted truck). Well someone decided that they would kick/push the tongue onto the ball, but they didn`t realise I had not put the pin back in and the 3000lb trailer tongue (300lbs?) came slamming down on my lower thigh and that impact fractured or broke my ankle. Tomorrow I`ll be scheduling a ortho visit to get a better idea of what is really going on.

Hurts like a SOB, but the fun part is in ONE week our second daughter is scheduled to join our family. I`m resourceful and quite stubborn so I`ll figure out how to hobble around so I can take care of my wife (c-section), infant and 2 1/2 yr old daughter.

I wish this post was me informing all of you that
    I was ready to post the full review. I WILL get the review done once I can get off crutches and I`m healed enough to wash our vehicles without risking damaging the paint or myself!

-Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    For how much we are all paying you I would have really expected to see some results by now? This is really going to effect your bonus and will certainly be a small footnote in your annual review.
    No kidding... Here`s a teaser!

Likes ShakingHorizons liked this post
    Thanks ShakingHorizons thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wgasa84 View Post
    No kidding... Here`s a teaser!

Looks
    Great

Post Thanks / Like

Hope it`s not so serious as it seems to be with your ankle.
    Family and your health first then you can share your foundings from your testing!
    Wish good luck and all to go fine with your new born to come and everything goes well!
    Best regards Tony
    Thanks Wgasa84 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Hope it`s not so serious as it seems to be with your ankle.
    Family and your health first then you can share your foundings from your testing!
    Wish good luck and all to go fine with your new born to come and everything goes well!
    Best regards Tony

Thanks Tony.

Im in a 1/2 cast right now. Fractured the medial malleous on my tibia. Cast for 4 weeks. 2 or 3 sessions of x-rays to see if its healing correctly. Praying for no surgery!

Post Thanks / Like

Update everyone. Im out of a cast after 5 1/2 weeks. Healed really well, now its time to work my muscle strength up so i can walk without crutches.

My truck sat for almost weeks and probably didnt get washed for 9 weeks total. A run through a touchless car wash only got off the layer of dirt, leaving a still dirty vehicle.... I cant wait to actually give our vehicles the proper wash they so very badly need. My Wlwifes Tahoe hasnt been washed in at least 10 weeks.

Thank you for your patience. I cant wait to get the review going again.

Likes SWETM liked this post
    Thanks MattPersman thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hey brother my prayers to you and your family ! How is your sleep with that new born. Our son born 11/9 thinks it’s funny to eat every hour at night lol

God bless !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Wgasa84 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    Hey brother my prayers to you and your family ! How is your sleep with that new born. Our son born 11/9 thinks it’s funny to eat every hour at night lol

God bless !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks man! Congratulations on your son!

Sleep isn`t too bad now. The every hour feedings were just the first week, then it changed to every three hours and now she wakes twice a night for a feeding.

Post Thanks / Like

Taking care (convalescence/rehabbing/medical follow-up) of your broken ankle and your newborn daughter and the rest of the family should be your priority now. The drying towel test can wait. We Autopians will just have to be patient to see the end results. Being subjective (just your opinion and judgment from personal observation and experience),do you have a favorite towel OR is their a towel, just from its appearance, that you like??

I would like to thank the suppliers/vendors/resellers/manufacturers who offered to give you a towel gratis (AKA free) for this test. Like I asked in a previous post in thread, "what are you going to do with ALL these towels once the testing is done?" (AKA, to be interpreted between-the-lines, "send some my way if you no longer want/need them!")
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Taking care (convalescence/rehabbing/medical follow-up) of your broken ankle and your newborn daughter and the rest of the family should be your priority now. The drying towel test can wait. We Autopians will just have to be patient to see the end results. Being subjective (just your opinion and judgment from personal observation and experience),do you have a favorite towel OR is their a towel, just from its appearance, that you like??

I would like to thank the suppliers/vendors/resellers/manufacturers who offered to give you a towel gratis (AKA free) for this test. Like I asked in a previous post in thread, "what are you going to do with ALL these towels once the testing is done?" (AKA, to be interpreted between-the-lines, "send some my way if you no longer want/need them!")
    Lonnie,
    Thanks! Right now Im liking the PFM style towels that Ive tried, they absorb water like no other and keep on going. I also like the Chemical Guys Wolly Mammoth its size, thickness and absorbancy is a nice combo.

I plan on giving my dad a handful of towels as he is using OLD bath/beach towels. I do plan on continuing to use the majority of the towels to see how they hold up over an extended period of time. Past that I might give some away to members, but that a ways out.

Post Thanks / Like

While I`m keen on seeing some testing on cars themselves, I sure would like to know how much water each towel can absorb per square inch. I know with a newborn time is very hard to find, especially during normal hours, but if you have time for an indoor controlled test, maybe one of those late nights when no one is allowed to sleep, lol.

You could pour a measured amount of water into a large plastic tub (maybe the baby`s new bathtub?) and see how much water each towel can absorb before it stops drying the surface. Having an oz. per sq/in column on the spreadsheet would be killer to compare with price.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information