Post Thanks / Like

Grit Guard and Cyclone Interesting Mod

https://youtu.be/6PNG-xtLK74

Hi,
    I`m picking up a Jet Black 230i BMW on Monday so looking into ways to keep the car looking good.
    There seems to be some validity to using either Grit Guard or the Cyclone but this YouTube video might show us the best of both worlds.
    Wish I spoke German, or the damned translation worked...he has other videos, but it appears that he feels this combination works best.
    One criticism of the Cyclone is that larger particles might not pass through, so maybe keeping the legs on the Grit Guard and just stacking these would help keep these particles isolated better, although a bit less convenient?
    I hope I`m not violating any rules posting this, wondering if anyone has any thoughts on using any combination of these in the rinse bucket, at least.
    Thx
    Likes dontlikemyname liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Grit Guard and Cyclone Interesting Mod

I am German, let me watch the video and see if I can summarize what he is saying. BRB...

Post Thanks / Like

He laments that you can`t use the washboard with the Cyclone trap. He says the Cyclone is more effective than a traditional grit guard, but he wants the washboard to be able to agitate and help remove dirt, hence the stacking. He stresses the importance of using a file to remove any small plastic particles left behind by the saw`s teeth to prevent them from getting into your microfibers etc. and possibly scratching the paint. I`m thinking that if you have a heat gun, it might be easier to melt the plastic than to try to remove it with a file.

I`m sure it`s just a matter of time before a vendor who makes a Cyclone starts selling a washboard that fits it directly.

Post Thanks / Like

I run both in wash/rinse bucket.
    Cyclone on Bottom, GG on top.
    GG catches the bigger items (albit I`ve yet to really inspect the water) but the Cyclone def has *stuff*, when I empty the bucket to check for particulate.

USP sells larger buckets 6 &7 gal, etc - which helps since the GG/Cyclone double stacked eats up some water volume in the wash bucket...

Post Thanks / Like

One of the points that he made is that the combination of Cyclone with the cut-down grit guard is actually shorter than the standard grit guard. The standard grit guard with the washboard sticks out of the top of a smaller bucket he uses, but the customized combination does not. And the zip-ties help wedge the combination in place and keep it from rotating in his bucket.

Post Thanks / Like

Haven`t watched video as phone aboht to die lol
    But I`ve been using the cyclone dirt trap first and grit guard 2nd and sometimes use wash board as top since release of dirt trap and later wash board
    Best method..
    But now I pretty much just use rinseless and don`t bother with that

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies, I will probably start with the gritguard/washboard 1st and take it from there, but I bet someone does come up with a washboard/cyclone.
    As I get older and stuff starts to hurt, I appreciate the ergonomics of the washboard, plus I feel it will help me stay further away from the dirtier bottom water.
    It looks like the Home Depot bucket is known to fit snugly, so I`ll get one of those I think.
    Special thanks to PRND[S] for the translation!

Post Thanks / Like

Try adding a marine water filter, cut to the shape of your bucket, at the bottom and then set your grit guard / cyclone mod device on top to catch even more dirt. I currently use a short grit guard (shaved the legs off to about 1" height only to keep me from using more Rinseless solution due to original Grit Guard height) with wash board sitting on top of my filter. Every time I remove that filter to clean the bucket there is a heavy layer of dirt trapped below it, then I just thoroughly rinse my filter and place it back in bucket with GG.

Edit: saw your comment about the HD bucket, try Walmart 1st, I have noticed that my local store now carries plain white buckets AND 3.5 gal buckets that are semi see through. Personally I like blank buckets since I do this as a business. I bought the 3.5 gallon bucket and I`m liking it a lot especially combined with a gamma seal lid. Much lighter to move around and completely ideal especially if you`re just doing your personal vehicle with either traditional or Rinseless method.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I really don`t need a 5 gal, so a 3.5 is preferred as long as the washboard doesn`t extend over the top.
    I`m guessing a gamma seal lid is not something I`d find at Walmart? I like the idea of a lid...and using the gritguard to dry things.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by charlieo View Post
    Thanks, I really don`t need a 5 gal, so a 3.5 is preferred as long as the washboard doesn`t extend over the top.
    I`m guessing a gamma seal lid is not something I`d find at Walmart? I like the idea of a lid...and using the gritguard to dry things.

Double check that your washboard/grit guard/cyclone setup fits in a 3.5 gallon before going with it. My grit guard does not fit the smaller bucket and needs trimming on the diameter, so I just use the small bucket for interior towels or if you`re doing a rinseless wash by taking towels out and setting them aside once dirty (this cancels the need for a grit guard) . The gamma seal lids are found online through detailing sites/online retailers.

Post Thanks / Like

Will do, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

charlieo and PRND[S],

Thanks for posting and the translation.

That is a cool mod. The only downside to the regular grit guard is the amount of water that is never utilized under the GG. This mod looks to take the best features from both GG/washboard and Cyclone and combines them.

I like how this mod wastes less water under the GG/cyclone.
    Likes charlieo liked this post

Thread Information