Post Thanks / Like

wash mitt differences

I am looking at some wash mitts, I see there is a specific rinseless microfiber one and Meguiars one. Is there much of a difference or is it just marketing? It would be used mainly for rinseless washes. Thanks

Meguiars Microfiber Wash Mitt

Ultra Soft Microfiber Rinseless Wash Mitt

Post Thanks / Like

Re: wash mitt differences

For rinseless I LOVE the rinseless mitt. Releases dirt easily!

For 2 bm wash, I use PB dread lock mitt.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Thanks pgp thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

[INSERT usual comment about hating dreadlock MFs...]

IMO people have to actually try a given mitt to see if they like it. I thought this to death and was still a little surprised by what I like/don`t.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh
    For rinseless I LOVE the rinseless mitt. Releases dirt easily!
    Huh, interesting...discernably superior in this regard compared to some othe MF wash media, huh? Not that I ever reuse a rinseless-step wash mitt ...

Post Thanks / Like

I probably will get one of each and see how I like them.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the rinseless one, too. Got it for free when I signed up for connect, and now it`s my go-to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Huh, interesting...discernably superior in this regard compared to some othe MF wash media, huh? Not that I ever reuse a rinseless-step wash mitt ...
    Yep.

I was shocked actually.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    [INSERT usual comment about hating dreadlock MFs...]

that sense of extreme caution is why I started to use 5 rw mitts, 2 bone sponges, and some gold plush micros for RW my car After a high pressure rinse (from coin op)

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    that sense of extreme caution is why I started to use 5 rw mitts, 2 bone sponges, and some gold plush micros for RW my car After a high pressure rinse (from coin op)
    At what point is the return not worth just doing a regular 2 bucket?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2quikta View Post
    lol im not gonna argue subjectivity, thats quite a circular argument in this context

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2quikta View Post
    Heh heh, I`m at least as, uhm....careful... about RW as 512Detail is, and I generally only do it after what most would consider a completely overkill wash involving a few major steps each one of which many would consider a "wash". Completely off-the-deep end overkill, and now and then I still get some marring anyhow (but not much nor too often ).

I simply don`t know how people do OK with approaches like the regular 2 bucket...guess their vehicles don`t get as dirty as mine or maybe the dirt they deal with isn`t as abrasive. I genuinely *DO NOT UNDERSTAND IT* but I guess it doesn`t really matter...whatever works for somebody and I know what works for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered a Rinseless mitt, a Meguiar`s mitt, a DuraGloss one and a Meguiar`s Drying towel. I also ordered a dreadlocks one a few weeks ago. I will see how they compare by feel and performance. I wanted to try another media other than MF towels.
    Likes 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Of those mentioned I have something very similar to the rinseless mitt (got it from PakShak several years ago), Meguiars, and the Duragloss. The PakShak thick pile was "draggy" on paint compared to others but it cleaned well. More fibers likely means more drag due to surface area of dense fibers. I settled on the Duragloss and have about 10 for rinseless since I used 5 to 6 per wash. They all stained with ONR. Meguiars is less substantial (less fibers) but then it had the least drag and rinsed easiest.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

I did a quick feel when I unpacked them. It seemed like the meguiars one felt the softest ? I will try them out soon. I may use the whitest one for the top part of the car, since it`s less dirty there and it will stay cleaner. I have a black one I plan to use for the plastic trim and probably the tires too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pgp View Post
    I did a quick feel when I unpacked them. It seemed like the meguiars one felt the softest ?
    For the RW I`d only care how it was when wet with RW solution; for the Drying I`d care how it was when dry.

I will try them out soon.
    IMO that`s the only way to really know what works for *YOU*. Purely subjective in the right way; you`re the subject who matters.

...may use the whitest one for the top part of the car, since it`s less dirty there and it will stay cleaner. I have a black one I plan to use for the plastic trim and probably the tires too.
    I`m all about light-colored ones for any use on paint as I want to see any contamination (and I wash `em after every use whether they appear soiled or not). I can see using the dark-colored ones on the plastic and tires if you already have them but otherwise I`ll never get the "dark towels don`t show dirt" idea...they`re still dirty but it`s hard to evaluate them. (Somebody school me if I`m missing something there.) I have one really dark MF but I don`t recall every having used it (previous owner of the Crown Vic gave it to me like some big present and I didn`t want to be a [jerk] so "gee, thanks! That`s really generous of you..") .

EDIT: I`m really appreciating all the MF threads, nice to have you folks doing all the testing so guys like Yours Truly will know what`s-what by the time we need more/new ones.

Post Thanks / Like

The black one came with two black towels for wheel/tire use. I agree with not using them on the paint. I may do a test to see how much they glide over the paint, and what they remove by doing a second pass with a MF towel to see if it`s clean? Not sure yet.

Thread Information