Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Car Shampoo

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Car Shampoo

I might be in the minority here, but I find most shampoos have insufficient lubricity (and probably encapsulation too) which I believe leads to marring. After switching to better, and then *better* shampoos I had a marked decrease in wash-induced marring, even with my rather extreme wash regimen.

And at the risk of sounding like a Shampoo Snob, the only Meguiar`s stuff I ever liked was the 00 (primarily as wetsanding lube) and M62, which is what I used before GG came on the scene.

OTOH, the oh-so-pricey shampoos in the little bottles aren`t for me, if only because I`ll use 7/more ounces per wash easily and I can`t really see how anything would work better on conventional LSPs than my current GG + 3D Pink.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I might be in the minority here, but I find most shampoos have insufficient lubricity (and probably encapsulation too) which I believe leads to marring. After switching to better, and then *better* shampoos I had a marked decrease in wash-induced marring, even with my rather extreme wash regimen.

And at the risk of sounding like a Shampoo Snob, the only Meguiar`s stuff I ever liked was the 00 (primarily as wetsanding lube) and M62, which is what I used before GG came on the scene.

OTOH, the oh-so-pricey shampoos in the little bottles aren`t for me, if only because I`ll use 7/more ounces per wash easily and I can`t really see how anything would work better on conventional LSPs than my current GG + 3D Pink.
    What is GG+3D Pink?
    Griot`s Garage car shampoo - but what is the 3D Pink?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob m View Post
    What is GG+3D Pink?
    Griot`s Garage car shampoo - but what is the 3D Pink?
    3D is a brand, and they make a car soap that they call "Pink", on account of it`s pink and all.
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post
    Thanks ray67122 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I like CGs Citrus shampoo because it can be formulated by ratio to do two jobs - lower ratio of soap to water for maintenance washes and higher ratios to help in paint prep prior to putting down an LSP. It may not totally strip your prior LSP at the higher ratio recommended for this but it certainly degrades it. Citrus Clear is also pretty good in foam guns as it produces lots of suds.

Once the LSP is down you can also use CGs Extreme Body Wash and Wax shampoo now and then. It does an excellent job of cleaning plus it leaves a very nice gloss which saves having to put a "booster" spray wax on the car every time you wash it. I`ll use the Extreme Body Wash and Wax maybe every third or fourth wash and that virtually eliminates the need of a spray wax or other "booster" product.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    3D is a brand, and they make a car soap that they call "Pink", on account of it`s pink and all.
    Gotcha!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shortspark View Post
    I like CGs Citrus shampoo because it can be formulated by ratio to do two jobs - lower ratio of soap to water for maintenance washes and higher ratios to help in paint prep prior to putting down an LSP. It may not totally strip your prior LSP at the higher ratio recommended for this but it certainly degrades it. Citrus Clear is also pretty good in foam guns as it produces lots of suds.

Once the LSP is down you can also use CGs Extreme Body Wash and Wax shampoo now and then. It does an excellent job of cleaning plus it leaves a very nice gloss which saves having to put a "booster" spray wax on the car every time you wash it. I`ll use the Extreme Body Wash and Wax maybe every third or fourth wash and that virtually eliminates the need of a spray wax or other "booster" product.
    Sorry - LSP?

Post Thanks / Like

Last Step Protectant: Wax, Sealant, etc.

Sorry - LSP?

Post Thanks / Like

One BIG factor that everyone seems to forget in using a soap to wash a vehicle with a conventional two-bucket wash is how hard your water is that you will be using. Regardless of its source, whether municipal or private well, if is has a lot of water-soluble minerals or suspended particulants it will cause water-spot problems if it is not filtered or "softened". If it is minimally hard and used untreated from its source, some wash soaps work better at "conditioning" (softening) this water for vehicle washing. I know some have added Optimum Polymer Technology`s No-Rinse (ONR) to their wash soap water bucket because of its encapsulating properties to help condition the wash water.

I currently use Meguiar`s Professional No. 62 Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner for this very reason, living in Green Bay, WI where the municipal water source is "treated" Lake Michigan water that has a higher limestone content due to the runoff from the Niagara Escarpment (limestone formations and bedrock). It cleans well and rinses well. It`s big drawback is the price per gallon; about $35.00 before shipping. I do not wash in the sun if I can and if I had to I would probably use ONR in a rinse-less method. I just think that the 2-bucket method is a "better" (more thorough) way of cleaning a vehicle when one includes spray rinsing a vehicle, even if it utilizes municipal water pressure.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie- Ah, M62! That`s what I used before switching to GG + 3D, still using up my last gallon of it on wheels/wells. Good stuff all right! I used that for *so* long that it`ll be weird to wash without smelling it; even before I wised up and quit using [cheap stuff], I used M62 on my good cars since forever.

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t do many hose washes (mostly rinseless), but I`m so pleased with Britemax, I gave most of my other shampoos away.

Britemax Clean Max pH Balanced Shampoo Review

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Billy Jack- I appreciate that you mentioned the grape scent in your Britemax review (deal-breaker for me, but others probably like it).

Post Thanks / Like

I haven`t tried every soap but I`m pleased with CarPro reset

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I am currently going thru a gallon of 3D PINK CAR WASH SOAP. I really can`t fault this soap at all. For the price point it`s great. Nothing in it to enhance your LSP. Just pure soap. I use 2-pumps (2oz) in the foam gun. A little more in the buckets. My go to is Megs Hyperwash. Another great soap. Where Megs shine is has a better (lower dilution rate). Only 1oz in the gun is plenty.

3D Pink Car Soap
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Lonnie- Ah, M62! That`s what I used before switching to GG + 3D, still using up my last gallon of it on wheels/wells. Good stuff all right! I used that for *so* long that it`ll be weird to wash without smelling it; even before I wised up and quit using [cheap stuff], I used M62 on my good cars since forever.
    Ok,maybe dumb question, but do you you use both together or just switch between the two? Which GG product?

Post Thanks / Like

Ok,maybe dumb question, but do you you use both together or just switch between the two? Which GG product?
    No, no...not dumb at all. Heh heh, I do enough weird [stuff] that it always pays to ask about something that`s not clear

I mix 3D Pink Car Soap and Griot`s Garage Car Wash (pn 11103) together at an even 1:1 ratio. 3.5oz of each (total of 7oz shampoo) plus enough water to make a gallon (~121oz) of concentrate. I fill the foamguns (and the spraybottle for wheels/wells/undercarriage) with that.

I use a weaker mix that`s still 1:1 of each shampoo in my Wash Bucket, which is really just a "wash media repository" since I`m all about using the foamgun if a mitt/BHB is touching my paint. Just do that by eye since all it`s doing is keeping the rest of my wash media soaking while I`m using whatever is actually in my hand.

(And note that I`ll be pretty surprised if all of the above is clear!)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information