Post Thanks / Like

5$ of pure laziness = 6K in damages

Think twice when you feel the urge to take a trip down the dark side...

Drive-Through Car Wash Causes $6,000 in Damage on New Ford F-150 - Motor Trend
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.
    Likes Migue liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 5$ of pure laziness = 6K in damages

Whoops... Id make the carwash pay. Don`t most of them say they are not responsible for damage to aftermarket parts only? Havent been to an auto car wash in a very long time.

Post Thanks / Like

You get what you pay for, I would never run my 150 through a car wash period.

Post Thanks / Like

At least it wont rust. At most places one of the guys has small pair of pliers and removes the antennas and hands it to you and tells you to reinstall after. Hey I like our work pickup trucks but during the winter sometimes I may or may not use a tunnel of death on them.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea those washes with the brushes and all downright scare me. When the snowy season starts around here, I use the touchless alot, mainly for the undercarriage blast. Sorry, but some take it to extremes washing out there in 15* weather. "Waterless" washes in the garage when your vehicle is a new shade of white from the salt just don`t cut it either. On the Expedition and S10 I will take it to the coin-op side. With some overalls I`ll kneel down and wash the undercarriage starting with the pre-soak and then high pressure rinse. Get some strange looks, but my trucks won`t be rusty like theirs.

Come to think of it, I was doing that one day and the guy behind me was intrigued. Rolled down his window "never thought about doing that!" Left and came back in the other truck. Sure enough he was doing that, lol.
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneB View Post
    Whoops... Id make the carwash pay. Don`t most of them say they are not responsible for damage to aftermarket parts only? Havent been to an auto car wash in a very long time.
    I had an claim last year (my day job has me as an insurance adjuster) where the car wash knocked off the side view mirror of an older model escalade. We paid out and then pursued the car wash through subrogation and lost in arbitration due to the disclaimers.

I personally was surprised we even tried to go after the car wash to recover money spent out on damages.

I argued it should be collision at fault because they knowingly went through the car wash, but my supervisor made me mark it as not at fault. Still disagree with that, lol

Brandt K.
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    I had an claim last year (my day job has me as an insurance adjuster) where the car wash knocked off the side view mirror of an older model escalade. We paid out and then pursued the car wash through subrogation and lost in arbitration due to the disclaimers.

I personally was surprised we even tried to go after the car wash to recover money spent out on damages.

I argued it should be collision at fault because they knowingly went through the car wash, but my supervisor made me mark it as not at fault. Still disagree with that, lol

I don`t agree, Why would it be a collision claim on the owner? The car wash brush damaged his mirror, he did not drive into the brush. With your logic, any accident is your fault because you were on the same road as the car that ran into you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pgp View Post
    I don`t agree, Why would it be a collision claim on the owner? The car wash brush damaged his mirror, he did not drive into the brush. With your logic, any accident is your fault because you were on the same road as the car that ran into you.
    my reasoning was the assumed risk of entering the car wash (they even have disclaimers at just about every car wash, and that one specifically had two large signs before entering)
    same logic as why you`re at fault if you go out and drive on a snowy or wet road and lose control and drive into a ditch, you assumed the risk of driving in inclement weather

that`s the reasoning for that specific instance

collision defined here as "any disruption of the vehicle"

I wouldn`t consider it comprehensive as there was no projectile object or weather (hail,flood,wind) causing the damage

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    my reasoning was the assumed risk of entering the car wash (they even have disclaimers at just about every car wash, and that one specifically had two large signs before entering)<snip>
    So given two prominent disclaimer, why would your company go after the car wash? Your client knowingly and willfully ignored the warnings about potential damage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
    At most places one of the guys has small pair of pliers and removes the antennas...
    I remember that from back in the day...do they still do it? Heh heh, if I saw a guy approaching my vehicle with a pair of pliers I`d freak out. (But seriously, I`d remove such stuff myself, with the proper wrench.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by `PRND[S
    ;2090126`]So given two prominent disclaimer, why would your company go after the car wash? Your client knowingly and willfully ignored the warnings about potential damage.
    Hence why I was surprised they pursued them, I definitely didn`t submit it for subrogation. I think it`s a risk you take.
    I have come to learn that we do in fact cover stupidity in the insurance world. ha

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I remember that from back in the day...do they still do it? Heh heh, if I saw a guy approaching my vehicle with a pair of pliers I`d freak out. (But seriously, I`d remove such stuff myself, with the proper wrench.)
    Yes they still do that, although most newer cars have antennas built into the rear window or the roof. I only go with the work shop trucks not my pickup, those trucks see more abuse during a normal weekday then that car wash could do in 5 years. Sometimes during the winter if they are covered in salt I will take it to go to the P.O. Box and go through (1/2 price wednesday) tunnel of death at least it gets salt off and I get undercarriage done. We have a big power washer at the shop and I use that to rinse my pick up and even kneel in the puddles or ice to rinse under it but the other trucks I am not getting cold and wet for.

Post Thanks / Like

I worked at a full service tunnel wash as a kid in late 70`s. Man, what an abusive way to get a car clean. Massive spinning plastic bristle brushes, heavy, nasty cloth curtains slapping the crap outta your car, a set of 6 in-floor rollers on each side to spin your wheels up to about 60mph while a set of metal - bristle brushes clamp down on both sides of tire while it`s spinning to clean it, using rubber mallets to pound on rocker panels to knock off snow and ice chunks, water filtered from central pit by pumping into 55 gallon drums where dirt would settle and `clean ` water pumped back into system from top. It`s amazing any car ever made it outta there *without* damage. Winter would be packed from 8am to 8pm. Big open troughs of Carbon tetrachloride you`d dip your plastic bottles in to refill for tar removal. All for $2.65 / hr.

Today`s OSHA woulda had a field day at that place. Occasionally folks would bring their Porsches, Corvettes in...what a treat for a 15 year old kid to drive one if even only for 50ft on/off the line. Yep, gears were ground on occasion.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

BudgetPlan1- Yeah...they had one of those at the dealership where I had Summer Jobs in the `70s. Ran the new vehicles through it before "prepping" them.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Thread Information