Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Your thoughts on the Boar`s Hair Brush

I bought mine to use at the coin op if I ever need to wash a vehicle at night for prep. I can just take my buckets and use the grit guard washboard and 2bm with the boars hair brush and maybe a micro mitt if I need to

im excited

i`ll have to say Vega`s posts of his mobile jobs made me decide to pull the trigger

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

A Montana boar`s hair brush is Mike Phillips`s primary wash media.

Using one of these on an extendable paint pole is both easier and faster than using a hand mitt.

This has been my primary wash media for more than four years.
    —  Jaddie

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L Nav. (mine)
    2016 Ford Escape Titanium (hers)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaddie View Post
    A Montana boar`s hair brush is Mike Phillips`s primary wash media.

Using one of these on an extendable paint pole is both easier and faster than using a hand mitt.

This has been my primary wash media for more than four years.
    If Mike uses this as his primary, that is all I need to know!

Post Thanks / Like

I started using the 10" Blonde BHB from Universalbrush 2 months ago. I let it soak at least 30 minutes before use. I also got the Blonde BHB for rims. I love it for the car, but for the wheels I find it lacking. Too soft to use as an only step cleaning solution. I find myself using a microfiber mitt after the brush to get the wheels clean. For the car, I use it on a standard wooden pole. Rinse often.
    Mike

1986 Guards Red 911 Turbo
    2017 Midnight Blue Cayenne S
    Likes shortspark liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Gee, people sure do soak `em a long time compared to Yours Truly. Guess it`s smart to err on the side of caution (note to self).

Quote Originally Posted by Jaddie View Post
    A Montana boar`s hair brush is Mike Phillips`s primary wash media..
    Thanks for posting that. Mike and I have fallen out of touch (no precipitating issue or anything, just gone different directions I guess)... I don`t really follow him, but I`ve always found it interesting when he and I agree/don`t about various things.

pcar930-That`s a *VERY* good point! And can even hold true for the body-proper as well as wheels IME.

Also, it tells me that you aren`t being overly aggressive with it, pressing too hard to make it behave differently than it oughta, so props to you!

I got the "Blonde" ones just to see if I`d notice a diff with their "best" product, and sure enough I did. They`re more gentle than the regular/Montana ones but sometimes they can be too gentle to get things clean (if used properly etc. etc.), even to the extent that I expect for a "preliminary phase" of the wash. Not really a problem for me since I pressure wash if it`s needed and my LSPs shed dirt readily and I`m doing a follow-up step or two, but overall IMO most people are probably better off saving their $ and getting the Montana for daily drivers.
    And yeah, I too was disappointed with the Blonde one for wheels, "so gentle it doesn`t even hurt the dirt" as I like to say Just one more reason why I find the WW BHB for Wheels so superior.
    Likes shortspark liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone use the Boar`s Hair Brush from Griot`s?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob m View Post
    Anyone use the Boar`s Hair Brush from Griot`s?
    Last time I tried them they, uhm...did not pass muster...and I sent `em back. Not. Even. Close. To. OK.

Their "flow-through" one is by Universal Brush, usually the only maker I`ll recommend for full-size BHBs, and/but I found it pretty useless and the idea of flowing water through it is, uhm....not something I`d value.

Repeating what I posted previously:

If you want a full size (not a little one for nooks and crannies or a smallish one for wheels), order something made by Universal Brush. Various vendors sell their medium-quality one under the "Montana" name, or you can buy their Premium/Blonde ones direct.

Those are still the only thing I`ll use for the first touching part of the wash (used in conjunction with a foamgun, of course).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Last time I tried them they, uhm...did not pass muster...and I sent `em back. Not. Even. Close. To. OK.

Their "flow-through" one is by Universal Brush, usually the only maker I`ll recommend for full-size BHBs, and/but I found it pretty useless and the idea of flowing water through it is, uhm....not something I`d value.

Repeating what I posted previously:

If you want a full size (not a little one for nooks and crannies or a smallish one for wheels), order something made by Universal Brush. Various vendors sell their medium-quality one under the "Montana" name, or you can buy their Premium/Blonde ones direct.

Those are still the only thing I`ll use for the first touching part of the wash (used in conjunction with a foamgun, of course).
    Aha. If I get a BHB, it will by Universal - thanks! But I am surprised that Griot`s would carry a brush that was not at least better than average.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob m View Post
    But I am surprised that Griot`s would carry a brush that was not at least better than average.

Same here! I`d bought BHBs from them previously that were fine and was *very* surprised and disappointed that I had to send the last batch back.

I find it especially odd that they sell some BHBs from Universal, but others that are so inferior that I assume they`re made by somebody else.

For tight spots, the smaller ones GG sells (paintbrush and BBQ style) are very good.

For Wheels the one from Wheel Woolies is my current fave, but they don`t offer it with a longer handle so I have the somewhat inferior ones from Universal for reaching farther when doing the undercarriage/etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Bought one years ago, never used it.

Bought one a couple of months ago, haven`t used it yet........ But will this time.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like something I`ll need.

OK...checked the store---which brush should I get?? (There are several different ones)

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Gee, people sure do soak `em a long time compared to Yours Truly. Guess it`s smart to err on the side of caution (note to self).

Thanks for posting that. Mike and I have fallen out of touch (no precipitating issue or anything, just gone different directions I guess)... I don`t really follow him, but I`ve always found it interesting when he and I agree/don`t about various things.

pcar930-That`s a *VERY* good point! And can even hold true for the body-proper as well as wheels IME.

Also, it tells me that you aren`t being overly aggressive with it, pressing too hard to make it behave differently than it oughta, so props to you!

I got the "Blonde" ones just to see if I`d notice a diff with their "best" product, and sure enough I did. They`re more gentle than the regular/Montana ones but sometimes they can be too gentle to get things clean (if used properly etc. etc.), even to the extent that I expect for a "preliminary phase" of the wash. Not really a problem for me since I pressure wash if it`s needed and my LSPs shed dirt readily and I`m doing a follow-up step or two, but overall IMO most people are probably better off saving their $ and getting the Montana for daily drivers.
    And yeah, I too was disappointed with the Blonde one for wheels, "so gentle it doesn`t even hurt the dirt" as I like to say Just one more reason why I find the WW BHB for Wheels so superior.
    Accumulator,
    Excuse my ignorance, but what does the acronym WWBHB stand for?

Thank you for your time
    kajunman

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kajunman View Post
    Accumulator... what does the acronym WWBHB stand for?
    Oops, sorry! WW BHB = Wheel Woolies Boar`s Hair Brush. To my surprise, IMO it`s better than the ones from Universal.

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator,
    Thanks for the info

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information