Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My washing regimen and foam gun use

Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

I`m sure Accumulator will chime in here eventually. To the best of my knowledge he was the first member to widely use a foam gun.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes Striker liked this post
    Thanks Striker thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I haven`t used a foam gun or even a traditional bucket wash in quite some time. Forget the foam canon. Wastes too much water and is a hassle. ONR weekly washes have taken over. Much more eco friendly for us So Cal drought folks.

But this is what I do when I used the foam gun.

Rinse
    Foam
    1 bucket wash
    Rinse
    Dry with DP car Dryer

Ditto, every once in awhile a spritz of wet coat after rinse then rinse again

Lots of foam and water. Center township water authority sends me THANK-You cards at Xmas
    There’s a place in the brain for knowing what cannot be remembered.
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I`m sure Accumulator will chime in here eventually..
    I learned about the foamgun from (the now-MIA) YoSteve.

It took me quite a while (countless washes over a long period of time...and I don`t mean "a few months") to get my routine squared away, but now I can`t imagine ever washing without it. I`ve probably tried *every* foamgun-centric approach imaginable (and I have quite the imagination ).

I need to write this up properly some time, but here`s the thumbnail-sketch version:

(Regulars here might notice some changes if they suffer through reading the whole thing.)

I mix up gallons of shampoo concentrate at ~7oz. shampoo + enough water to make a gallon. I fill the foamgun with that (I keep extra foamgun canisters full of concentrate handy). (Note that this same concentrate works well for cleaning LSPed wheels and the wheelwells/undercarriage.) I use a *LOT* of this shampoo mix so I keep a few gallons in old shampoo jugs.

I use the three strongest foamgun settings, varying between them as conditions warrant.

This rate of shampoo consumption and water use will disqualify my approach for many people but isn`t a problem for me.

I find presoaking with the foamgun to be of limited value. I basically only do it so there`s shampoo mix on the panel before I touch it with anything, although the extended dwell-time probably contributes something.

IME, mechanical agitation is necessary to get things clean. I use a BHB to get the "big stuff" off, but when used properly that`s too gentle to get "road film" off so I usually follow up with a mitt.

I do at least two phases, both with constant spraying of foamgun output at the point of wash medium-to-paint contact. First I use a Boar`s Hair Brush ("BHB") then I follow up with a mitt. On *very* rare occasions I`ll do a Garry Dean Wash Method rinseless wash after the BHB step, but I usually don`t do that until I`ve also do the mitt step (if I do it at all). I often do all three.

The basic idea is "dislodge and flush"- the constant stream of foamgun output flushes the dirt away as soon as the wash medium dislodges it. That way very little dirt gets stuck in the BHB/mitt (which would drag it across the paint under pressure, causing marring). If a BHB or mitt is touching the paint, the foamgun is spraying its output at the point of contact.

One hand holds the foamgun, the other hand holds wash medium. They are moved in tandem so the foamgun is always spraying output at the point of wash medium-to-paint contact (and I try to move the foamgun so that it soaks the entire BHB, which is longer than a mitt). There`s an element of "rub stomach/pat head" involved, but it became second-nature after a few dozen washes.

Wash media are always moved in in straight, short, interrupted "jiggling" motions, *NEVER* long, sweeping motions. The straight motions keep any marring that does occur linear (and thus less obvious than elliptical/circular scratches are), short motions keep any marring short rather than long, and the interrupted jiggling motions make it easier for the foamgun output to flush the medium clean while in-use rather than allowing it to get loaded up with dirt.

Steps:

-Rinse vehicle off, preferably with pressure washer
    -Spray foamgun output on panel(s)
    -Dunk BHB in wash solution bucket
    -Spray foamgun output onto BHB to further prime it with shampoo mix
    -Move BHB across panel, while spraying foamgun output at point of BHB-to-paint contact
    -Rinse panel (either with hose or with foamgun on "clear water" setting, which is also good for rinsing jambs/etc.)
    -Inspect, repeat if panel still appears unclean
    -Dunk washmitt in shampoo bucket and/or fill it with foamgun output
    -Hold mitt shut at cuff and spray foamgun output on its outside to further prime it with shampoo mix
    -Gently whisk across panel while spraying foamgun output at point of mitt-to-paint contact
    -Stop and refill mitt if shampoo seeps out before I finish area being cleaned
    -Rinse panel
    -Inspect, repeat as needed

This is all *MUCH* easier when the foamgun`s pistol-grip is replaced with a 90° shutoff, which I operate with my thumb.

The foamgun will often/usually rinse the BHB clean while washing (perhaps because of my boosted water pressure, might not work for everybody), so I probably don`t need to dunk it in the rinse bucket (and the reprime it with shampoo mix) as much as I do. The mitts don`t rinse out as well as the BHB so I always rinse them in the bucket and reprime them, but this might also be unnecessary as the rinse bucket hardly *ever* has any dirt in it at the end of the wash. The shampoo bucket stays clean enough that I usually just replenish it rather than dump it out.

Not the right approach for everybody, but it`s virtually eliminated wash-induced marring for me; I basically don`t need to polish any more even on daily-drivers that get used hard year-round.
    Likes JSFM35X, PoweredByJenga liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Lol man that was the read brother! I am ever so curious to see at least one picture of one of your used cars.

So you basically do the same thing as me except you hit the panel with two types of tools instead of one like I do. I go with the mf chinelle sponge and it works just well.

What do you guys use for soap on the foam guns? I have a pinnacle soap gun and I simply throw some of my car wash soap in the bottle and let the water run thru it ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Striker- Heh heh, don`t hold your breath waiting for internet pix of my cars/shop/etc.

I use a 50:50 mix of Griot`s Car Wash and 3D Pink Car Soap, mixed up in a concentrate as per my (yeah, awfully long) post above. A lot of that is just habit/personal preference as the 3D by itself would work great and is inexpensive if bought in the 5 gallon bucket.

Post Thanks / Like

And I thought I had a problem --LOL

You can wash my car anytime.

Your routine is close to mine but I remove my watch, wedding band, and all my clothes so the finish does not get marred. I cover the x rated parts with a 9million GSM MF loin cloth ( im selling them on line if you PM me-cant post a link bc tos). Feels nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I learned about the foamgun from (the now-MIA) YoSteve.

It took me quite a while (countless washes over a long period of time...and I don`t mean "a few months") to get my routine squared away, but now I can`t imagine ever washing without it. I`ve probably tried *every* foamgun-centric approach imaginable (and I have quite the imagination ).

I need to write this up properly some time, but here`s the thumbnail-sketch version:

(Regulars here might notice some changes if they suffer through reading the whole thing.)

I mix up gallons of shampoo concentrate at ~7oz. shampoo + enough water to make a gallon. I fill the foamgun with that (I keep extra foamgun canisters full of concentrate handy). (Note that this same concentrate works well for cleaning LSPed wheels and the wheelwells/undercarriage.) I use a *LOT* of this shampoo mix so I keep a few gallons in old shampoo jugs.

I use the three strongest foamgun settings, varying between them as conditions warrant.

This rate of shampoo consumption and water use will disqualify my approach for many people but isn`t a problem for me.

I find presoaking with the foamgun to be of limited value. I basically only do it so there`s shampoo mix on the panel before I touch it with anything, although the extended dwell-time probably contributes something.

IME, mechanical agitation is necessary to get things clean. I use a BHB to get the "big stuff" off, but when used properly that`s too gentle to get "road film" off so I usually follow up with a mitt.

I do at least two phases, both with constant spraying of foamgun output at the point of wash medium-to-paint contact. First I use a Boar`s Hair Brush ("BHB") then I follow up with a mitt. On *very* rare occasions I`ll do a Garry Dean Wash Method rinseless wash after the BHB step, but I usually don`t do that until I`ve also do the mitt step (if I do it at all). I often do all three.

The basic idea is "dislodge and flush"- the constant stream of foamgun output flushes the dirt away as soon as the wash medium dislodges it. That way very little dirt gets stuck in the BHB/mitt (which would drag it across the paint under pressure, causing marring). If a BHB or mitt is touching the paint, the foamgun is spraying its output at the point of contact.

One hand holds the foamgun, the other hand holds wash medium. They are moved in tandem so the foamgun is always spraying output at the point of wash medium-to-paint contact (and I try to move the foamgun so that it soaks the entire BHB, which is longer than a mitt). There`s an element of "rub stomach/pat head" involved, but it became second-nature after a few dozen washes.

Wash media are always moved in in straight, short, interrupted "jiggling" motions, *NEVER* long, sweeping motions. The straight motions keep any marring that does occur linear (and thus less obvious than elliptical/circular scratches are), short motions keep any marring short rather than long, and the interrupted jiggling motions make it easier for the foamgun output to flush the medium clean while in-use rather than allowing it to get loaded up with dirt.

Steps:

-Rinse vehicle off, preferably with pressure washer
    -Spray foamgun output on panel(s)
    -Dunk BHB in wash solution bucket
    -Spray foamgun output onto BHB to further prime it with shampoo mix
    -Move BHB across panel, while spraying foamgun output at point of BHB-to-paint contact
    -Rinse panel (either with hose or with foamgun on "clear water" setting, which is also good for rinsing jambs/etc.)
    -Inspect, repeat if panel still appears unclean
    -Dunk washmitt in shampoo bucket and/or fill it with foamgun output
    -Hold mitt shut at cuff and spray foamgun output on its outside to further prime it with shampoo mix
    -Gently whisk across panel while spraying foamgun output at point of mitt-to-paint contact
    -Stop and refill mitt if shampoo seeps out before I finish area being cleaned
    -Rinse panel
    -Inspect, repeat as needed

This is all *MUCH* easier when the foamgun`s pistol-grip is replaced with a 90° shutoff, which I operate with my thumb.

The foamgun will often/usually rinse the BHB clean while washing (perhaps because of my boosted water pressure, might not work for everybody), so I probably don`t need to dunk it in the rinse bucket (and the reprime it with shampoo mix) as much as I do. The mitts don`t rinse out as well as the BHB so I always rinse them in the bucket and reprime them, but this might also be unnecessary as the rinse bucket hardly *ever* has any dirt in it at the end of the wash. The shampoo bucket stays clean enough that I usually just replenish it rather than dump it out.

Not the right approach for everybody, but it`s virtually eliminated wash-induced marring for me; I basically don`t need to polish any more even on daily-drivers that get used hard year-round.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    And I thought I had a problem --LOL

You can wash my car anytime.

Your routine is close to mine but I remove my watch, wedding band, and all my clothes so the finish does not get marred. I cover the x rated parts with a 9million GSM MF loin cloth ( im selling them on line if you PM me-cant post a link bc tos). Feels nice.
    I actually laughed. Nicely done sir

Likes JSFM35X, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Thanks JSFM35X thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Rinse
    Foam gun it
    Proceed with the wash
    Rinse
    Flood rinse
    Dry with WW and spray wax
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org
    Likes Striker, The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

PA DETAILER- Man, you guys who can wash that way satisfactorily simply *kill* me...what I`d give...

In my current shop, I can`t even do the "flooding rinse" thing!

JSFM35X- Heh heh, that was good!

Yeah...big PIA every time I wash, but it`s what I gotta do

On a serious note, I wonder if anybody does wear a ring/watch/etc. when doing this stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve gotten away with it when I forgot to take them off. No mishaps yet.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m with pa on this along with a two bucket method. I use a ton of water to rinse with a pressure washer then I hit it with the foam. More rinse. Hand wash. Done.

Even if some swirls were to happen, I guess they can always be corrected.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Striker View Post
    I`m with pa on this along with a two bucket method. I use a ton of water to rinse with a pressure washer then I hit it with the foam. More rinse. Hand wash. Done.
    If that works for you, then there you go.

FWIW, I find the pressure washer isn`t my preference for rinsing off shampoo. I prefer volume over pressure, but maybe that`s just due to either my wash method (tons of shampoo...) or the vehicles I`m doing. I do like using the pressure washer for the prewash rinse and/or for use with DI water.

Even if some swirls were to happen, I guess they can always be corrected.
    Eh, I disagree 100%. I`m not gonna precipitate any paint/clearcoat removal if there`s any way I can prevent it. But again, that`s just me and I want the paint on my vehicles to last as long as I do and anyhow I simply hate doing correction.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never done correction on my DD which is 6 years old this year. I was able to keep the soft paint swirl free.

Post Thanks / Like

Bill D- Highly commendable At that rate it`ll look good just as long as your Cadillac!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information