Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Electric pressure washer

Anyone have experience with the Stark Tools 3000 PSI 1.6gpm washers?

Sun Jose SPX3001 1.76GPM

Or would it be wise to go with the Karcher K Premium/K 5.740? Since im also interested in their undercarriage attachment

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Electric pressure washer

I have an el-cheapo Walmart Karcher I`ve been using for like 5 years. The thing won`t die. It leaks a little - but works well. So, I`m always going to stick with Karcher when I upgrade.

3000 psi for an electric??? Sounds like it would take paint off the car.
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quite a few forum members have enjoyed dependable service from their Karchers. The "Premium" model just came out in the past few months, but I`m sure it`s based on the K5.740, which is reputable.

Kranzle builds some electric commercial-quality washers. Forum member Bunky has one and says it`s built like a tank.
    —  Jaddie

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L Nav. (mine)
    2016 Ford Escape Titanium (hers)

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I know about Kranzle from AGO
    They`re pricey

The AR Blue clean AR390SS looks really nice too
    1.4 GPM I believe
    200 shipped

Post Thanks / Like

Love my Karcher. My dad had one that lasted at least 10 years before something broke internally and it sprayed water everywhere.

I have a newer model now (I forget the number) but it was in the $200 price range from Amazon. 1800psi. The first one I had actually wouldn`t turn on after about 10 uses. Never did look into the issue. Karcher replaced the unit no questions asked and my replacement one has been working like a champ ever since. Thumbs up for their rapid replacement (I think that was what it`s called). Best part is they didn`t make me return the bad one, so I got spare parts if ever needed. Probably was just a bad switch or something anyway so I bet fixing it would be easy enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Also... 3000psi WAY TOO MUCH for cars. Blow paint right off. I have never found a need for more than the 1800 I have. I`m sure a 2500psi one could make some sweet foam from a lance compared to mine, but is it really needed? Not really. Play it safe and go with a lower psi unit

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I`ve been using a gas powered DeVilbiss 2.0 gal/min / 2000 psi washer for 15 years and it has never had an issue one...

I would not want to go higher on pressure or gpm (gallons per minute), for Detailing, but for everything else, washing down the concrete driveway, washing the house, etc., the higher nbrs machine will certainly make quick work of it ...

Whatever you end up getting, it will really work better with a wide Fan Tip Nozzle and be less dangerous to automotive parts..

And of course, you have to have common sense and not hold it close to something and leave it there very long - especially - your skin, paint, stick-on-pinstripes, behind moldings, and ClearBra edges...

My nozzle assembly - trigger to end of nozzle is 38 inches long... I get less wet that way, and can reach a lot of things that shorter versions wont reach as easily..

Good Luck !
    Dan F
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve used a Generac 3100 PSI/2.7 GPM gas washer for the past 2.5 years and haven`t knocked any paint off yet.

You can control the pressure by choosing the appropriate nozzle (tip) orifice. That sounds sort of kinky, but it`s called nozzling.

A tip with a larger orifice results in lower pressure but the same GPM.

I wish I had a 4- or 5-GPM machine just for its general usefulness.

I`m really not a car guy. I`m a pressure washer guy.

There`s a guy in my area who has a Kubota-powered 17-GPM washer. I`m stalking him. That washer was a custom job from Green Knight. It was designed by the owner, a certified Georgia Tech hydrology engineer. His washer is one of the ones shown in the splash page slideshow. He doesn`t use a gun with it. There are no guns that`ll handle it. He pulls his washer with a Ford F550. That`s a manly man.

Even with an orifice the size of a basketball that washer might create a smudge too much pressure for automotive detailing.

I saw the washer in person. It has one of those tractor-like exhausts with the little popping lid on it. Oh, that brings out the man in me!

This thread was about electric washers, right?

Yeah, they`re awesome, too. I`d love to have one of those wall-mounted Pressure Pro units.

And for under US$300 that new Karcher Premium would be my pick.
    —  Jaddie

Likes Stokdgs, Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

You guys with reliable Karchers make me envious! I finally gave up on Karchers after numerous units died on me, though I did keep all the hoses/attachments/etc. in case I want to try again. Their Undercarriage attachment *does* look nice.

For general washing (as opposed to undercarriage work) I`m doing just fine with the wimpy bottom-end AR that I got for Christmas back in 2014. Powerful enough to do the job and weak enough that it`s easy to avoid damage and there`s minimal overspray in the shop. Other than not being potent enough to power an Undercarriage Attachment (which I don`t really need given my other equipment) or for homeowner-chore jobs, it`s simply perfect and it cost about $80.

EDIT: back when I had high-powered pressure washers I *never* had any problems from them being "too potent". Just turn it down to the appropriate setting for the job. Though it`s nice to not worry about that at all, I wouldn`t think it`d actually be a problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, turn settingndown or distance wand more...
    The 390SS is what I`m leaning towards, but also want the Karcher undercarriage washer attachment

Post Thanks / Like

Ordered one of these. My gas powered DeWalt is a 12 HP, 4000 PSI monster. You can tone it down and I have used it often on vehicles. That said, I don`t really like using it on paint, I find myself having to think about it too much. I think this will be a bit more appropriate for the intended purpose. Should be here by the 18th. Hope it`s all I want it to be.

Karcher K5 Premium

A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Stokdgs, Jaddie, ShaneB, RaysWay, 4u2nvinmtl liked this post
    Thanks Jaddie thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

This looks like a great washer.

Use the following chart to find the pressure you want for your gas washer. Opt for a nozzle that gives you about 1000–1400 PSI. I can`t explain the chart right now because my wife and son are demanding that I shut off electronics. Pump is going to want to deliver its rated flow, but the nozzle will regulate the pressure.

http://www.generalpump.com/PDFs/RESO...-Equations.pdf
    —  Jaddie

Likes GearHead_1, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaddie View Post
    This looks like a great washer.

Use the following chart to find the pressure you want for your gas washer. Opt for a nozzle that gives you about 1000–1400 PSI. I can`t explain the chart right now because my wife and son are demanding that I shut off electronics. Pump is going to want to deliver its rated flow, but the nozzle will regulate the pressure.

http://www.generalpump.com/PDFs/RESO...-Equations.pdf
    What was all that manly man stuff up above
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I got a chance to try out my new Karcher K5 Premium, pictured above today. I couldnt be more disappointed, it was a monumental fail. The darn thing leaked like a screen door (not a hose or fitting but inside the machine). So... I gave the 1 (800) number a call and spoke with a nice lady by the name of Jackie. She was happy to tell me after getting my info, seeing that I had registered it and my brief description that there was nothing they could do expect implement their Rapid Exchange Program that is part of their warranty.

Jackie said that once they had received my unit back they would have a new one in my hands within 7 to 10 business days. Im thinking this doesnt sound any too rapid but okay. Then the thought hit me that I had sent the box the unit came in to the dump yesterday. I told her I didnt have the box to send it back. She said well any box will do, just send it back. We talked and I told her that this is none too convenient. Id have to go find a box, buy some bubble rap and haul it over to UPS. I asked her if she could put another one on my card and send me the new one and that I would send her the defective one back in the box the new one showed up in. She said she couldnt do this because they were the manufacturer not the retailer and they dont handle credit cards. We talked a little more about this being more than inconvenient and again not too rapid. She asked if she could put me on hold and then came back and said, just keep that unit, Ive sent you an email, fill out the information on the form, take a pic and send it back to the email provided.

Well thats where it stands at this point. I had the info back to them within a couple of hours. Hopefully that 7 - 10 business days starts today. I will say she did go out of her way to accomodate me. The thought definitely went through my mind, hows the quality of the machine when you can tell someone to keep a $300 pressure washer? Jurys out but Ill post again as this progresses.

Lastly, I had set up to do a pressure washer/bucket wash by the time I got done messing around with the phone call, paper work and 10 am water restriction deadline it didnt get done.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Stokdgs, Jaddie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Electric pressure washer

Wow... That sucks. You spend the money to buy a good pressure washer - and it leaks.

This is why I hate buying stuff through the mail. Cause if I buy it at Lowes and there is an issue Ill wheel that thing back in the store with the connectors still dripping water all over their floor for my refund.

But, I understand a lot of times the stuff you want is only available the the mail. So, I do it - but, only under protest.

I remember a while ago Karcher had a warranty thing where you cut off the cord with a pair of dykes (it has an ID tag on the cord) - and they accepted that as a return.

I dunno. I have had such good luck with my old Karcher. It leaks a bit - but still works every time. But this makes me not want to buy another one. You should link this thread to them.
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information