Thread: Nylon Brushes

Post Thanks / Like

Nylon Brushes

thinking about buying a nylon brush to help prep cars before polishing. Wouldnt polishing clean up any marring that I put in? Or is that idea what you guys would call hack work? This would be used for prep washing only, no maintenance washes. Any feedback appreciated.

PS. Have used a boars hair brush. That one is to soft to effectively use on the sides, but I use it all the time for them big crew cab truck roofs.

And if anyone uses one, let me know where I can buy a good one.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nylon Brushes

I`d rather not have to remove ANY scratches/swirls that were created by nylon bristles. Just seems counter productive to me. Stick to the boars hair brush if you feel brushing is necessary. If the scratches do not matter and speed is the key I have seen some aluminum hollow staffed brushes that have a hose connection on the end that Walmart sells as a kit and I have seen some on eBay. I can`t remember the brand off hand but it does come with soap and a bucket.
    Likes Oldfordisbetter liked this post
    Thanks Oldfordisbetter thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nylon Brushes

Instilling marring (in other words, damaging the paint ) when it`s not necessary is a *REALLY* bad thing to do IMO. Just more clearcoat that`ll have to come off and what if you somehow instill a RIDS that`s too deep to remove?

IMO increased mechanical agitation beyond using a mitt or sponge (as opposed to a BHB ) is simply *NOT* the way to increase the effectiveness of an autopaint cleaning procedure.

Oh, and *USED PROPERLY*, BHBs (which I do like/use/recommend) are just too gentle for aggressive cleaning..that`s not what they`re for. Though I use BHBs at every wash, I also *always* follow-up with something slightly more aggressive to remove "road film"-type dirt that the BHB doesn`t always fully remove.

Universal Brush and Griot`s have the hollow-handle brushes, but IME they aren`t feasible unless you rig up a siphon-feed system to flow shampoo mix through them instead of plain water. And doing that is a huge PIA. Flowing clear water through the BHB?!?...I don`t get it; why agitate while rinsing?

To clean something that`s really dirty, ramp up the *product*, not the procedure. Classic, industry-standard example is ValuGard`s "A". Let the product do the work and avoid further damaging the paint.
    Likes Oldfordisbetter, rlmccarty2000 liked this post
    Thanks Oldfordisbetter thanked for this post

Thread Information