Post Thanks / Like

Question Need to wash after claying or no?

I have typically used a 2-bucket wash, then microfiber towel dry, then clay bar (using quick detailer as lube), then wash and dry again. Then move on to paint correction and waxing. Is it safe to eliminate the second wash and dry if I use a microfiber towel to wipe down each panel after it has been clayed?

So my method would end up being 2-bucket wash, then microfiber towel dry, then clay bar, then paint correction and protection (typically KAIO followed by KSG)? Or is there something else I should/shouldn`t be doing in there? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need to wash after claying or no?

Quote Originally Posted by SwedishRider View Post
    So my method would end up being 2-bucket wash, then microfiber towel dry, then clay bar, then paint correction and protection (typically KAIO followed by KSG)? Or is there something else I should/shouldn`t be doing in there? Thanks!
    I think that`s fine--as long as you don`t have globs of clay stuck to the surface after claying. Some of us (usually) clay with wash as a lubricant--so we go from washing, with the car still wet from rinsing, add some more soap and clay with that. When you are done claying, rinse again and dry and move on to your other steps.
    Likes ShakingHorizons liked this post
    Thanks SwedishRider thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I think that`s fine--as long as you don`t have globs of clay stuck to the surface after claying. Some of us (usually) clay with wash as a lubricant--so we go from washing, with the car still wet from rinsing, add some more soap and clay with that. When you are done claying, rinse again and dry and move on to your other steps.
    Thank you for the advice! A quick follow-up question: Can I clay using the clay lube right after the rinsing (then rinse again and microfiber dry)? Or is mixing the rinse water, clay, and lube a bad idea. From your description, I think you use soapy water as your lube. I have quite a bit of QD lube on hand and would want to use that up instead of soapy water. I just don`t know if rinse water, lube, and clay play well together. Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

SwedishRider- I too use a dedicated clay lube. Noting that I don`t use clay for a serious/thorough decomtamination and thus don`t spend a lot of time doing it, I work panel-by-panel while washing.

-Wash and rinse panel
    -Perform claying
    -Quick/cursory rewash and rinse of panel

Post Thanks / Like

I always use a dedicated lube within the mfg`s family for claying.

After claying and wiping each panel, I`ve done no washing, re-washing, power washing and hose rinsing with no issues whatsoever. Guess it comes down to what method you are most comfortable with.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jmsc View Post
    I always use a dedicated lube within the mfg`s family for claying.

After claying and wiping each panel, I`ve done no washing, re-washing, power washing and hose rinsing with no issues whatsoever. Guess it comes down to what method you are most comfortable with.
    So you would do the following: Wash, dry, clay with dedicated lube (wiping each panel as you complete it) then paint correction and wax? If I understand that correctly, then you are treating the lube like a quick detailing spray, just spraying on and wiping off (plus the claying itself in between).

Post Thanks / Like

See how this compares with any clarification from jmsc- Even if the lube I use is QD-like (or even a QD period) or shampoo, I just like the idea that I cleaned things up a bit post-claying, so I do a quickie job on the panel after I clay it.

It might not really be a valid concern, but I wonder about, for instance...what if a little bit of clay residue is left on the panel?

Post Thanks / Like

I guess what I wanted to state was:

1. QD lube, clay, wipe, no wash, polish, lsp
    2. Shampoo lube, clay, no wipe, wash or pw or hose wash, dry, polish, lsp

For example, with Zaino I would use his clay but could use Z-6 QD or mix his wash shampoo Z-7. With Meguiar`s I would use their FI #34.

Post Thanks / Like

My routine is

wash
    rinse
    clay
    rinse dry
    polish......... etc
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I used a different process on my last detail and it worked well:
    foam, HP rinse
    foam each panel and wash with just a rinse bucket w/ grit guard
    RW diluted for clay lube on panel using nanoskin mitt, then HP rinse panel and move to next panel, repeat
    flood rinse, blower/towel dry

Post Thanks / Like

I typically do wash after claying, but it is a super quick wash. The clay and lube leave a bit of a residue, though it comes off easy.

Thread Information