Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Will a Dawn wash remove all old products?

I will say that *one time* I had some minor issues polishing away heavily layered KSG, it seemed to load up the pad and complicated things a lot more than I`d expected. But that`s once out of how many decades of this stuff..

If I have any qualms about it I`ll just wash the vehicle with ValuGard`s "A".

Post Thanks / Like

I found a good method. I can`t say for sure if all the old LSP is gone but the paint is spotless and clean and properly prepped for the new coat of wax or sealant. I start by using CGs Citrus Clear @2 ounces per gal. (this is considered the "stripping" solution for this shampoo). I then add to the wash bucket 1 ounce per gal. of P21S Total Auto Wash. Sometimes, especially if there are lots of bugs or there is road grime and tar on the lower panels, I put the Total Auto Wash in a sprayer at a 1:1 ratio with distilled water and spray the panels with the solution before washing.

After the shampoo, I dry the car. The last step (assuming I don`t have to correct with an abrasive polish or clay) is to use a chemical cleaner like P21S Paintwork Cleanser. I have used KAIO for this too but like P21S better. I also understand Duragloss Squeaky Clean is a good product for this step but have not tried it yet.

Like I said, I don`t know how much if any of the prior LSP is left after this process but I don`t care because the paint is clean, decontaminated and well prepped for the new LSP. The end result is much better for me than using alcohol and dawn, especially now that I have been using Sonax Net Polymer Shield as my sealant and Sonax Brilliant Shine as my "topper". Everything seems very compatible and works well together and I have no reason to ever deviate from this process.

Post Thanks / Like

shortspark-- I`m sure the P21S is removing any old LSP and that Squeaky Clean would do the same as they are designed for this process. What are you thoughts on the Sonax Polymer Net Shield now that you`ve been using it???
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pwaug View Post
    shortspark-- I`m sure the P21S is removing any old LSP and that Squeaky Clean would do the same as they are designed for this process. What are you thoughts on the Sonax Polymer Net Shield now that you`ve been using it???
    I love SPNS. It makes my "Diamond White" paint sparkle like never before. I am sure it is durable but I have a garage queen Mercedes that gets pampered and I do stuff to it all the time. Therefore, durability is secondary to looks. I have used Duragloss 105 and 111 along with the bonding agent (601). They were really good sealants but I like the looks of SPNS even better. The bonus is that it repels road dirt and dust better than anything I have ever used, even better than Collinite 845, which I always thought kept a car fairly clean as well as shinny and protected.

If there is a footnote to using SPNS it is the application. I have tried various microfiber`s, from those short nap ones used for polish removal to those that are plush and even ultra plush, but none are able to keep from grabbing. Accordingly, I have to use a bit more elbow grease with SNPS but the results are worth it. SPNS is not slick, neither in application with a hand pad nor removal with a microfiber. Nor is it particularly slick feeling on the paint itself. Duragloss 111 with a topper of Aquawax was much slicker in feel. Nonetheless, it seems the Sonax was made with my Diamond White (and very hard) paint in mind. It is a German product after all. P21S is German too. Maybe that`s why everything seems to work so well together. These German companies probably do all their testing on BMWs and Mercedes paints. Whatever the reason, the P21S stuff to condition the car properly followed by the Sonax is the holy grail, at least for my car. PS-use Sonax Full Effect on your wheels for a very pleasant surprise!

Post Thanks / Like

2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

PA DETAILER- Much as I like to support Richard, that`s some pricey stuff compared to a few alternatives.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shortspark View Post
    I love SPNS. It makes my "Diamond White" paint sparkle like never before. I am sure it is durable but I have a garage queen Mercedes that gets pampered and I do stuff to it all the time. Therefore, durability is secondary to looks. I have used Duragloss 105 and 111 along with the bonding agent (601). They were really good sealants but I like the looks of SPNS even better. The bonus is that it repels road dirt and dust better than anything I have ever used, even better than Collinite 845, which I always thought kept a car fairly clean as well as shinny and protected.

If there is a footnote to using SPNS it is the application. I have tried various microfiber`s, from those short nap ones used for polish removal to those that are plush and even ultra plush, but none are able to keep from grabbing. Accordingly, I have to use a bit more elbow grease with SNPS but the results are worth it. SPNS is not slick, neither in application with a hand pad nor removal with a microfiber. Nor is it particularly slick feeling on the paint itself. Duragloss 111 with a topper of Aquawax was much slicker in feel. Nonetheless, it seems the Sonax was made with my Diamond White (and very hard) paint in mind. It is a German product after all. P21S is German too. Maybe that`s why everything seems to work so well together. These German companies probably do all their testing on BMWs and Mercedes paints. Whatever the reason, the P21S stuff to condition the car properly followed by the Sonax is the holy grail, at least for my car. PS-use Sonax Full Effect on your wheels for a very pleasant surprise!
    How many applications are you typically getting out of the 7.1 oz can of the Sonax Polymer Net Shield ? I would to try it on some of my customers vehicles but I need to determine if it will be a cost effective choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bswombaugh View Post
    How many applications are you typically getting out of the 7.1 oz can of the Sonax Polymer Net Shield ? I would to try it on some of my customers vehicles but I need to determine if it will be a cost effective choice.
    Yes, it is only a 7.1 oz. can so you don`t get a lot. Plus, it is in aerosol form. My vehicle is a MB ML-350, which is not a huge SUV but an SUV it is so it is bigger than most cars. I have used it three times and just barely got enough out of it the third time.

On a big vehicle like a truck you are looking at two per can. An SUV can squeeze three and a normal sedan/coup, probably four. Of course my technique might be flawed and maybe I am using too much. I try to spread it thin by hitting the hand pad with three or four sprays on my pad per panel, like a door or half the hood (I use a 3" Griot red hand pad). Some day I might apply it with a microfiber pad because I`ve read where people say it is easier and goes on smoother than a foam pad.

I will try less product from now on and see how it works but on my color paint it is hard to see where I am covering as it is. Any less product and I would have to go to a little square at a time - which may not be a bad idea actually as that might allow my microfiber to glide a little better and and be less grabby. I think Sonax recommends only a 2x2 section at a time but that would take me all day.

I intend to experiment with the application process more with my next can. I think once I get it down better it will be much easier and I probably will save more of the product than I am now. Anyway, I do this three times a year so the cost does not matter as one can lasts me that entire year. But for you I`m not sure and you`ll have to put the figures together to see if it will work as a money maker on a professional basis. I really would like to try it with my Griot`s 6" polisher but everyone says SNPS should be applied by hand (and so does Sonax). Nonetheless, I think I will try the machine next time just out of curiosity. At the very least I bet I can spread it out thinner with the polisher and use a little less product.

Post Thanks / Like

Here`s a video of SPNS application -- he only uses one spray for an entire fender and 4 total sprays for his hood. So a can should last more than 4 cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbXp...ature=youtu.be
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pwaug View Post
    Here`s a video of SPNS application -- he only uses one spray for an entire fender and 4 total sprays for his hood. So a can should last more than 4 cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbXp...ature=youtu.be
    Yep, I can see where I have been going wrong. As I suspected, I was using too many sprays per panel. For that fender he only sprayed his pad once while I would have sprayed it four times or more. That very thin layer went on a lot easier than what I have been used to. He also used a short nap microfiber towel and it did not seem to grab and probably due to the very small amount of product used. Thanks for that video, I will follow this next time I use the SNPS.

Post Thanks / Like

For those who use Dawn that think it strips, what is your typical dilution?

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shortspark View Post
    ... I do this three times a year...

Am I reading this right? It only lasts ~4 months for you? IF so, that`s a surprise to me.

The now-MIA Autopian UncleGrandpa really raved about the Sonax, made it sound (maybe) even better than FK1000P in some ways, but if it only lasts four months....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Am I reading this right? It only lasts ~4 months for you? IF so, that`s a surprise to me.

The now-MIA Autopian UncleGrandpa really raved about the Sonax, made it sound (maybe) even better than FK1000P in some ways, but if it only lasts four months....
    No, I said I apply it every three or four months. That is when I do my complete details. I`m sure SNPS will last at least twice that long. I am also sure that my garage queen could even go a year! I don`t drive it much and it never sits outdoors or goes out in the rain. We have no snow or sand or salt here in Texas either. I just do a complete detail every three or four months for therapy or to experiment, not because the car needs it. I need it more than the car!!

Post Thanks / Like

shortspark- Ah, OK, thanks for explaining.

Post Thanks / Like

I know this is not a thread on Sonax PNS but it seems to have graduated to that (sorry OP). I think application technique is really important with this product and I have received tips (and that video that was posted) that should help in the future. This is one sealant that requires a little practice. Here is a quote from someone else which was just posted in the last day or two at another forum and says it well:

"PNS is one of the few sealants out there that actually enhance the look of the paint. It slightly darkens the color, possibly hides some imperfections, and leaves an extremely glossy finish. I have had a little difficulty removing it one time, but the other time I used it, it was no problem at all. It could have been due to different environment conditions. It`s also right up there with the best sheeting LSP`s, maybe the best".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information