Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: foam guns?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    ...there`s no comparison with using a foamgun...You`ll notice that your rinse bucket has *far* less dirt in it.

That was something that surprised me, how clean the rinse bucket stays when using the foam gun, really an indicator that the dirt is coming off the car before the mitt touches it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a thought/caveat- you *do* have to give some thought to how you`re gonna use the foamgun, it`s not like it automatically results in less marring. Don`t want people to have unrealistic expectations- there *is* a learning curve and it`s a different concept compared with how most people wash things.

Just keep thinking "dislodge and flush"; the idea is to *not* get the dirt caught up in the wash mitt but rather to keep the mitt as clean (and well-lubed) as possible. It`s dirt between the mitt and the paint that causes the marring. Use just enough contact to get the dirt loosened from the paint and then flush it off the vehicle with the suds. Rinse the mitt out same as you would with a normal wash method.

No foolin`, for virtually everyone who`s tried it, it really has drastically reduced the need to polish. I`m still waiting to hear somebody say it flat out didn`t make a difference.

But it`s a matter of the overall wash technique; if you just use it as a presoak (which is a good idea anyway) or as a way to get shampoo on the vehicle (which it`ll do quite well), you`re not gonna realize the full potential of the whole idea. And using a slick LSP (frequently) and washing before the vehicle gets too dirty are important considerations too.

And for those of you with nasty winter [stuff] to deal with, blasting the foamgun through a BHB is about the only way I`ve been able to get that gritty mess off without inducing some serious marring. But again, you can`t just neglect the vehicle to the point where nothing`s gonna work the way we`re discussing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bill, some reading for after work today I think, best not sit and read all those now!

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently purchased a foam gun for my pressure washer in order to wash my car with the latest foam wash.Is this the type of foam gun you are looking for?I have been using this for some time now where the gun blast foam onto my car as a prewash removing all th grime ensuring that when i then use my wash and wax that i am not washing the dirt into my car and creating swirls.

Post Thanks / Like
    BMW Freak- Welcome to Autopia!

Nah, the foamguns under discussion (Gilmour brand) are different and so is the manner in which they`re used.

Some of us are too :nervous: about high pressure wash techniques to use a pressure washer, but the general idea is sorta the same: avoid rubbing dirt into the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the links Bill - i`ll have a read through them. And top advice Accumulator; cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Karcher do a £15 `foam` gun for their pressure washers. It basically shoots out at a low pressure foam all over the car. I understand its not as good as the ones your talking about but I have been happy with mine and they are easily picked up from halfords.
    "I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it" :2thumbs:

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone bought a foam gun yet in the UK? Just wondered as the thread has sort of smizzled away. I`m still really interessted in one...just wondered if anyone`s found one for less than £60+ ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Reading thru this and ALL of the threads that Bill D supplied finally convinced me to buy a foam gun. I placed the order with messner a few hours ago for a half gallon simple green model with brass fittings. standard shipping might get it here saturday for the detail i have planned on a weekend driver turbo integra. And just in case y`all didn`t know, messner now has online ordering. I`M SO EXCITED!!!
    2009 Montego Blue BMW 335i :woot2:

Post Thanks / Like
    ^As an edit to my post above after seeing the recent pics on here with the foam from foam guns I can honestly say the £15 (cheaper on ebay) attatchment is just as good.
    "I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it" :2thumbs:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information