Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    158
    Post Thanks / Like
    This could just as soon be in the car modifications section, but since Pipercross is a UK manufactured product, I thought it best to check in here.



    Anyway, a US distributor is currently working with Pipercross to develop Viper intake systems for (among other vehicles) the US spec E36 M3. Does anyone have any experience with these systems or care to comment with anything they have heard.



    Jason

  2. #2
    WX51 TXR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Scotland, UK
    Posts
    407
    Post Thanks / Like
    They aren`t very popular with owners of VAG cars (i.e. VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda), as other products seem to offer much better performance gains for around the same price. For VAG cars, the BMC CDA system and the Green Dynatwist are popular choices. I couldn`t comment on the application of Piper systems to other makes.
    Rich Cooper - Polished Bliss

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    369
    Post Thanks / Like
    Foam filters like the Viper are known to be oily and can damage the airflow meter.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    North London UK
    Posts
    271
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used to run a Pipercross filter on my old Impreza STI. The only reason I used it was you could run it dry unlike alot of foam systems that were oily and affect the MAF.

    I ran it for a good three years and never had a problem.



    http://autopia.org/gallery/showphoto...ig&ppuser=5987

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    158
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the responses, I think I remember seeing the CDA sytem a few years back.



    In any case, I may try to fabricate my own intake system, the inline filtration unit is beyond me, but the rest of the set-up is not an unreasonable undertaking

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,000
    Post Thanks / Like
    A filter on its own is unlikely to do anything, you need to consider the entire system. If you buy a new super duper intake system and the real bottleneck is the throttle housing there will not be any improvements. In the old days you really could just bolt on power with a new filter and exhaust box but with something like an M3 you would really need to work to get any meaningful improvments.



    For more information on filters have a look at www.bobistheoilguy.com

  7. #7
    CIXELSYD
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    548
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Griz. I had a Pipercross Viper for my 00 VW GTI GLX. The unit itself is constructed of high-quality carbon fiber. In conjunction with my other modifications (software, 2.5†exhaust, cams), peak gain was +8HP/+11 LB/FT. of torque on a Dynojet 248C. It was awesome . . . throttle response was crisp, better fuel economy, and the car just pulled through the gears like a pit-bull with AIDS.



    However VW was plagued with major component/reliability issues through 2002.5. After 3 months of spirited driving, the MAF sensor failed (not attributable to oil . . . design flaw) and the show was over. I replaced 3 sensors in total and could no longer afford the frustration and headache.



    If you’re interested in giving it a go, contact UPsolute NA. They specialize in chip tuning and are exclusive distributors for Pipercross in the US. Good luck :xyxthumbs

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,000
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Knockwurst
    Hi Griz. I had a Pipercross Viper for my 00 VW GTI GLX. The unit itself is constructed of high-quality carbon fiber. In conjunction with my other modifications (software, 2.5†exhaust, cams), peak gain was +8HP/+11 LB/FT. of torque on a Dynojet 248C. It was awesome . . . throttle response was crisp, better fuel economy, and the car just pulled through the gears like a pit-bull with AIDS.



    However VW was plagued with major component/reliability issues through 2002.5. After 3 months of spirited driving, the MAF sensor failed (not attributable to oil . . . design flaw) and the show was over. I replaced 3 sensors in total and could no longer afford the frustration and headache.



    If you’re interested in giving it a go, contact UPsolute NA. They specialize in chip tuning and are exclusive distributors for Pipercross in the US. Good luck :xyxthumbs


    Was the increase after installing a new filter or the culmination of the other modifications.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    158
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowejackson
    A filter on its own is unlikely to do anything, you need to consider the entire system. If you buy a new super duper intake system and the real bottleneck is the throttle housing there will not be any improvements. In the old days you really could just bolt on power with a new filter and exhaust box but with something like an M3 you would really need to work to get any meaningful improvments.



    For more information on filters have a look at www.bobistheoilguy.com


    Well I`m look for a system that directly draws air in from the outside rather than from inside the engine bay. From start-up I wouldn`t be disappoinnted about gaining nothing more than a louder intake.



    I`m interested in cutting back on the effects of the hot air under the hood after the engine has had a chance to warm up.

  10. #10
    CIXELSYD
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    548
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowejackson
    Was the increase after installing a new filter or the culmination of the other modifications.


    Sorry that was confusing. Yes the +8/11 gain was the intake alone . . . very surprising indeed. Our thought was the stock intake is a bottleneck. The other modifications in conjunction with the intake, allowed the engine to ingest more air and yield such high numbers.



    In retrospect the 12V VR6 was not necessarily the easiest motor to tune. Quite costly too.



    Gris - the PX Viper is a CAI . . . air is drawn from the lower intake vents, i.e. ram air effect.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    158
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Knockwurst
    Gris - the PX Viper is a CAI . . . air is drawn from the lower intake vents, i.e. ram air effect.


    Exactly, and I really appreciate your feedback.

 

 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Need a quality clay bar and lube, a good light swirl remover and a high quality wax
    By Norcalcamaro in forum Car Detailing Product Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-24-2011, 11:12 PM
  2. Looking for a newer car - Reliability?
    By Joshua312 in forum Car & Driver
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 07-30-2006, 04:49 AM
  3. high mpg + reliability= ???
    By Jngrbrdman in forum Car Maintenance, Repairs & Modifications
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 09-25-2005, 06:00 AM
  4. Reliability/Longevity
    By topnotchtouch in forum Car & Driver
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-05-2005, 09:41 AM
  5. OT: Reliability of Lexus, Audi, BMW and Infiniti
    By The Banned Ozzfather in forum Forum News, Updates & Feedback
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •