Post Thanks / Like
    Hello guys this is my first post dont think i can add any pics yet..

I got a prob with my Metallic black 95 civic recently had a very poor paint job done on it with halfords spray cans .. primer, colour, clear coat. doesn`t blend in very well and the finish has a very bad orange peel effect to it which can be felt by rubbing finger across surface.. not allowing the car to shine!

It just had the paint put on about 2 weeks ago so i havnt applied any wax or polish as yet.

I was told to wet sand it with 2000grit or finer paper and then T-Cut it, then polish,wax. But only after the paint has cured (2-3weeks?)

Any other advice as to what i shud or could do? anyone had this kinda problem with a cheap spray job?

I`ll try get some pics on for you guys to see ...

here some pics not very good but will try to get clearer ones.. left side of tailgate is new paint the right side is the old paint.

Poor paint job

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

It could all be a bad job done poorly but i suspect you might be talking about orange peel??

Thrid picture in this post.... http://autopia.org/forum/click-brag/...finish-up.html

If not post some pics of ur problem!!

Geoff

Post Thanks / Like
    yea thanks,, that is what mine looks like but abit worse.. my pics are not very clear..

I think ill try the wet sanding too..

Where can i get the fine grit 2000, 2500 paper from my local shops dont seem to stock it ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi

Oh that sounded like the problem you might be having!! IN order to bring that finish up to scratch you will probably need a porta cable and some polishs, it would be very hard to di it by hand.

I dont know how in to car detailing you are but there are plenty of people out there that can help.

THe paper can be purchased from places like seriousperformance.co.uk the meguiars unigrit series is the most popular choice. Meguiars had on there UK website a number where you could phone and they gave some away free, that might suit you better as pack of 20 sheets runs at 20 quid.

Someone local to you in to detailing can probably help you get it sorted or advise you, head to detailingworld.co.uk and post there and link to this thread and they will get an idea of your problem and point you in the right direction with specific products local to you!!

I hope that helps!!

GEOFF

Post Thanks / Like
    hi,

Thanks for the help.. i dont have the money for a PC at the moment! My dad has got a RAC 10" random orbital buffer in the garage..

What do you think of this tool? I think it only cost bout Ă‚£20... any good for polishing waxing?

Ill try n get in touch with Meguiars see what help they can offer me.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh yea also what do think bout this `real alternative to PC`?

It`s advertised as a sanding tool and the guys selling it tell me its better to just go for a proper car polisher/buffer if thats what you want to do with it.

Anyone else tried using a sander to polish ?

Post Thanks / Like
    I dunno.. are you experienced or have ever done anything close to wetsanding? You should probably read up and get some more info before trying it. There`s a real risk of messing up the paint with improper wetsanding.

Post Thanks / Like
    well i`v never done wetsanding on a car before...

I have read up on it abit but not tried it.. the paint has had 2 layers of clear on it would you recommend get another layer or 2 on before i start wet sanding? so i dont cut through too deep?

or is it pointless spraying more clear on top of the orange peel? hmm am i making sense

Also are there any probs with a clear coat that is really thick?

I know its probs better off giving it to an expert. but tell you the truth i wanna give it a go myself..with a few pointers from you guys here :S

Thanks for any help.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a better pic.. Poor paint job

could a rubbing compund help with the orange peel?

Post Thanks / Like
    That paint should probably have been wet sanded or polished before the clearcoat/lacquer went on top - but you don`t generally get enough coverage with spray cans to allow you to do that. The problem is that the paint itself has the orange peel, then the clearcoat is on top, so if you polish the clearcoat you`ll probably still see the imperfections in the paint underneath.

Thread Information