Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hutchingsp
    Sorry if I appear to be a pedantic cheapskate but there`s a hell of a difference between £50 and £200 and there seems to be little middle ground.

Paul

Have a look at the Autopia shop, they are selling the PC kit (inc SFX-2, backing plate etc ) for about £79 plus postage. Get yourself a transformer for about £40 and your set for a very cheap £120`ish

Post Thanks / Like
    As for a rotary, have a look at this thread http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=62065

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I shall keep reading up on rotarys - the more I read the more it suggests keep it low and use the right products and you should be fine.

One thought. The cheap orbital I brought - theoretically I can hack the foam pad off and cover the backing plate with sticky-back velcro allowing me to use Meguiars or any velcro-backed pads.

Does this sound like it might turn it into something even slightly useful or is it still a case of "too little power"?

I`ve not had chance to try the buffer yet because of the weather.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess you could try but the lack of power is always going to be an issue

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowejackson
    I guess you could try but the lack of power is always going to be an issue

I figure that`s likely to be the case.

I`ve asked for opinions in the Machine Polishing forum simply because it`s a bit more active - the Autopia 25% off offer makes a Porter Cable more tempting but it`s still not a cheap option, though of course if you try enough cheap things that don`t work you soon end up spending more than biting the bullet first time.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an Ebay $29. rotary. I use it 2 or 3 times a year on two different cars. The only feature I would like added is the "constant RPM control". I dont know what it is called in tool terms but it keeps the RPMs of the buffer the same, even under load.

As stated before, unless you get a powerfull orbital you might as well do it by hand.

The rotary is not hard to learn. A lot of reading & a little common sense and patience will pay big rewards. Doing the work slowly at low RPMs will not cause problems useing the proper pads & products.

I`ve got four times or more of the cost of the rotary in the pads & products so no matter what you do it isnt gonna be "low cost".

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hutchingsp
    I`m tempted to try a rotary...Common sense suggests right pads/products and low rpm and keep it moving and you should be OK?

IMO you shouldn`t get a rotary until you have a PC or something similar. Besides the general advisability of starting out with the milder/safer machine, there will be times when the rotary is the wrong tool for the job and you`ll *need* the PC. I`m no newcomer to the rotary and I`m not bad with it, but there are *far* more times that I use the Cyclo/PC and I *always* use them after my rotary work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by riggsyUK
    Ive just got a smartool make by AutoSmart.. seems ok but aint given it a whirl yet..

will be using it over weekend when my pads arrive..

SMARTOOL

Do you have any specifications on the Smartool such as power/speed please?

I can get one of these http://www.biltema.no/products/produ...?iItemId=98894 for around £21 plus £17 shipping and the resemblance is uncanny?

Paul

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information