Post Thanks / Like

White stain on rims?

Hi,
    I have been cleaning my rims today with Simonz rim cleaner. I did another wheel with Auto Glymm rim cleaner. Both had a similar result.

This really shows it well:

I have cleaned these wheels many times before. But this is new. I use 2 CDN tire bushes, nothing to fancy or special. Any idea what is going on here or how to fix this? I was thinking maybe a new cleaner...But I am not sure. I have washed them off with just water and dried then with a cloth and they still look like this.

Any help is really appreciated!
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Re: White stain on rims?

Looks like it possibly dried on the rims and etched???

Were the wheels hot? Direct sun?
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I should have put that in the original post. It is warm outside (25c, 77f) but really just humid. Overcast and about to rain. Haven`t driven the car today.

Thanks for the response!

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Your BMW wheels are painted and clear coated.

It looks like something, probably your cleaner dried on the painted surfaces and stained them..

I would try to use something that you have that will clean, polish, and protect the paint, on the wheels..

Those white stains will probably come out of the clearcoat if you use a product that is designed to clean paint..

What do you use on your BMW`s paint now ?

When you get them cleaned up, it will help, especially on BMW wheels, to put something on the entire wheel to prolong the protection, so they will not get dirty as quickly..

Something I used for years that hardly ever got any attention is a product called Rejex, made by Corrosion Technologies Corp, Dallas, Texas..

Some places sell this all the time on their websites..

Ultimately, if you are really wanting to make wheel cleaning the easiest it has ever been, will be to get a Coating on them.. And there are a few Coatings out there that are outstanding..

Good luck !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what it is, but these are the steps I would attempt if it were me (in order of progression):

1) clay -->
    2) polish (M205, etc) by hand using MF pad -->
    3) compound (M105, etc) by hand using MF pad

Definitely get a sealant on there. Even something like Coll 845 works pretty nice and holds up on wheels. I seal mine twice per year and only use diluted DG901 in a spray bottle to clean them (or RW solution if I am going that route).

Post Thanks / Like
    As others have stated - they are stained. This is likely from letting some acidic wheel cleaner sit on the wheels and dry. Have you had anyone wash your car recently? Dealer? Gone through auto car wash?

I dunno about the wheel cleaners you use. I`ve never used either. Auto Glym Seems pretty reputable, but Simoniz is off the the junk store shelf around here.

But, my guess is that damage was there from a previous washing and you just were able to notice it today because the wheels were clean.

If those wheels are factory finish they have a clear coat from BMW. Unfortunately, once wheels like this are chemically stained, they often can be improved - but are almost impossible to restore 100%. A compound by hand may help.

In the future, to avoid this - use a quality reputable wheel cleaner. You can buy a gallon of Chemical Guy`s Sticky Wheel Cleaner for like $40 and it makes 6 gallons. That comes out to like $6.50 a GALLON for wheel cleaner... That`s actually much CHEAPER than any OTC wheel cleaner - most cost $6.50+ for 32oz or less.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdmaccord View Post
    Not sure what it is, but these are the steps I would attempt if it were me (in order of progression):

1) clay -->
    2) polish (M205, etc) by hand using MF pad -->
    3) compound (M105, etc) by hand using MF pad

Definitely get a sealant on there. Even something like Coll 845 works pretty nice and holds up on wheels. I seal mine twice per year and only use diluted DG901 in a spray bottle to clean them (or RW solution if I am going that route).
    Hi,

You were bang on. I applied some 205 just by hand with MF cloth and they look MUCH better now. Thanks a lot!
    Regarding the sealant... I don`t have one right now but ill have to get some. Now that I know I need to apply this 205 to clean them up, ill have to change my wheel washing process a bit.

Thank you everyone for you help! I am glad this is solved, really appreciate it!

Post Thanks / Like

Stoppy -

Glad you got your wheels back to normal !

It is always better if you dont use a strong wheel cleaner on them - unless or course, they were neglected for a long time, and really need it..

Just the good car wash soap you use for the rest of the car would be just fine for wheels that are already cleaned up of all the bad stuff..

Getting good brushes for them will also make the wheel wash easier..

One thing to remember - never use the same soap you cleaned the wheels in to do the rest of the car...

Either do the wheels first, and throw out the soap and start over with new soap for the vehicle, or do the wheels last, using the old soap that was just used on the car, for the wheels..

You dont want to get any of the brake dust stuff that may be in the soap rubbed on your paintwork...

Good luck !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Stoppy -

Glad you got your wheels back to normal !

It is always better if you dont use a strong wheel cleaner on them - unless or course, they were neglected for a long time, and really need it..

Just the good car wash soap you use for the rest of the car would be just fine for wheels that are already cleaned up of all the bad stuff..

Getting good brushes for them will also make the wheel wash easier..

One thing to remember - never use the same soap you cleaned the wheels in to do the rest of the car...

Either do the wheels first, and throw out the soap and start over with new soap for the vehicle, or do the wheels last, using the old soap that was just used on the car, for the wheels..

You dont want to get any of the brake dust stuff that may be in the soap rubbed on your paintwork...

Good luck !
    Dan F
    Thanks Dan! Thanks for letting me know about BMW wheels with the clear coat also. Good to know.
    Ill try the sponge method. Maybe that is better as to not use the harsher cleaners. Any recommendations on wheel cleaners or sealant for the rims given now I have to clean them up a bit with the 205?

Thanks!
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, Mike -

In my Shop I had in WA., I had hundreds of BMW`s alone to Detail, and I either used a really strong cleaner if they were really, really, neglected, and black from never removing the brake dust, or, if they were maintained even on the back sides, I would just use regular car wash soap. The stronger the cleaner you use, the more your protection will be compromised and even removed completely..

The one Car Wash Soap I have been using for a few years is Chemical Guys CitrusWash Clear..
    It has great suds, cleans really well, and is not finicky, high maintenance, or anything like some products..

For a good maintenance cleaner and sealer for wheels, I have found Rejex to be pretty darn good and the price is very reasonable.. Here is the link - Rejex Paint Sealant, wheel sealant, plastic sealant, durable paint protection

No Sealer out there is going to last a long time on hot wheels that are being bombarded with hotter brake dust. Some might last longer, but this is again, a very subjective subject..

Guess if Consumer Reports ever lined up a few dozen wheels, and in a Lab, cleaned them and then got them dirty again in controlled environments, and then cleaned and measured the Sealant protection, I might be a little persuaded to try something - only after a lot of other people did first..

Your approach to all of this and mileage may differ..

If you want to go all out and do some major cleaning and then a really good protectant, I would then go to a Coating..

Coatings are way more expensive but if they are good and applied perfectly, well, you will not have to do much to get any dirt or brake dust that manages to stick to them off..

And these same Coatings are used on the rest of the Paintwork of the car as well...

Preparation for a Coating is much more involved, and you would pretty much want to get all defects out of the paint before you Coated it, if you decided to really get into this..

Once you get the wheels to the level you like, just wash them with car wash soap and it should be enough.. Remember, they are painted and clear coated like the paint on your Bimmer...

And lucky for all of us , there are special wheel shops that can repair curb damage, etc., and repaint wheels, etc., back to better than original...

Good luck !
    Dan F

Thread Information