Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chrome rims

Post Thanks / Like

Chrome rims

Hey guys! I have chrome rims on my 2004 Acura tsx. I was wondering what the best rim cleaner is to use to clean them? Ill have to get the cleaner from Wal-Mart or a auto parts store because I am trying to clean my car today. Thanks for the help everyone

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chrome rims

Are they factory wheels? If so they are more than likely clear coated. So a typical paint polish will be fine then you can use a sealant for protection
    Official Selected Team Member of the Air Force One Detailing Team
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE-8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Evan.J View Post
    Are they factory wheels? If so they are more than likely clear coated. So a typical paint polish will be fine then you can use a sealant for protection
    Factory chrome wheels, and also clear coated? I doubt it.

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiars Hot Rims Chrome Wheel Cleaner. Should be able to pick it up at Walmart. As stated; after they are clean, you should be able to use any polish or wax that you would typically use on paint.

Post Thanks / Like

If they are new and you wash regularly, try just soap and water. You really should not need chrome wheel cleaner (usually an acid) unless they are messed up. I would suggest using all purpose cleaner or general wheel cleaner (safe for coated wheels, etc).

Al
    The Need to Bead

Likes blucpe liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bswombaugh View Post
    Meguiars Hot Rims Chrome Wheel Cleaner. Should be able to pick it up at Walmart. As stated; after they are clean, you should be able to use any polish or wax that you would typically use on paint.
    If you are going to use hot rims, take the wheels off the car. I have a bottle of this, and it acid-etched my rotors and calipers. They were real clean, but it dried out some of the exposed rubber on the caliper; not to mention the look is terrible.

I suggest a good all purpose cleaner to soak, a good (nonscratching) agitator, and maybe an old clay bar. then polish or wax
    Slate Metallic 2015 Toyota Corolla LE, 1.8L CVT

Bright White 2014 Dodge GCV, 30th Anniversary Edition, Blacktop Package. 3.6L 6A

Post Thanks / Like

I just use all purpose cleaner and a brush.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

How dirty are your wheels ??? Please advise...

I have had a 3 new Acura`s in my experience and even the sporty TL-S did not have Chrome Wheels, as in a steel wheel dipped in several tanks, starting with nickel plating...

You probably have finished and clear coated wheels, and with that said, you need to be careful what you put on them and never - never - ever - do them when they are hot...

You run the risk of etching the hot parts as what happened to Alexxxx89 above...

Some wheel cleaners are very strong and can eventually cause things to go bad..

As has been said above - it is Always going to be better, if you get a few good made-for-wheel-brushes, etc., and use the same soap you are washing the car with..

Now, with that said - you must either make a separate batch of soap and just wash the wheels - and throw it out when done, and start over with new soap in a clean, rinsed bucket, to wash the car, or wash the car completely First, then do the wheels after...

But never use the soap from cleaning the wheels to wash the paintwork, ok ?

Good luck with this !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

FK1000 would do a great job on those wheels .

Post Thanks / Like

Advance Auto Parts stocks Griot`s products. They make a good safe wheel cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like

I know its not available in stores, but SONAX Full Effect Wheel Cleaner is powerful and safe for all finishes.

Post Thanks / Like

the rims are aftermarket chrome rims. they are 18" and i just wanted to get them really shiny. i usually use soap and water then i use detailing spray but i want to get them extra clean

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

You never answered my question...

So, if these are really "Chrome" Wheels, then you would need to use something for Chrome Wheels..

I have had great success with products like Simichrome, or Wenol. These products are a paste that comes in a tube..

Another newer product that has been really good for me is Optimum Metal Polish, a liquid sold in a plastic bottle.. It is located here at the Store - http://www.autopia-carcare.com/optim...l#.U6mVhfldWSo

Any of the the above products may turn black on the rag and you may want to wear gloves to keep this off your hands..

Good luck with this..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lilbraze87 View Post
    the rims are aftermarket chrome rims. they are 18" and i just wanted to get them really shiny. i usually use soap and water then i use detailing spray but i want to get them extra clean
    Get a chrome polish to make them shinier. I believe Walmart, Auto parts stores, etc. all carry mothers chrome polish. Then throw some protection on them after polishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lilbraze87 View Post
    a good APC with soap and water will get them clean as any brake dust cleaner on the market.

Chrome is a hard metal and not much is going to stick ti it IF you`ve been cleaning them on a regular bases.

That said as an OTC Megs and Mothers both have cleaners that will work..I would also suggest that you try a small spot to start...it`s better to be safe as they could be clear coated and some cleaners will cloud the finish
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information