Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Under hood/ Engine

I`m not real big on doing engine/engine compartment cleaning and detailing. Only do it maybe once a year. Then it`s normally clean with PB APC, then dress with CD-2.

Well I`m getting the itch to do the vette..........

Any suggestions? How about the underside of the hood, which is flat, and has the hood insulation pad
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Under hood/ Engine

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    I`m not real big on doing engine/engine compartment cleaning and detailing. Only do it maybe once a year. Then it`s normally clean with PB APC, then dress with CD-2.

Any suggestions? How about the underside of the hood, which is flat, and has the hood insulation pad
    Most all new motors are covered in plastics so cleaning is way easy...I wet the areas down gently spray on the APC let dwell then use some brushes and rinse...the hood I clean around the painted parts with APC and MFT by hand the padded part I use my shop vac with a brush attachment..any stains I use APC on a MFT and wipe the areas up. Blow out with forced water and apply dressing...let that sit until dry and wipe down area that need it
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve detailed thousands of engines and compartments and have never had one leave here on a wrecker. I don`t cover anything

The only cars that will give you problems are the ones that don`t use a rubber stop on the spark plug wires (Volvos) They are inverted into the valve cover much like a hemi

Use as little water as possible when rinsing. Never use a pressure washer

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys.

I was more talking about doing a "better" job than in the past.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys.

Is that humanly possible?!?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys.

Todd did a thread that I shared with a buddy on engine detailing do a search on the key words
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

I clean the painted area with apc and a brush. The pad all I do is rinse thoroughly. I wouldn`t apply a cleaner for fear it would deteriorate

I`ve heard of some ppl applying Armor All Tire Foam to the pad. IMO that will look like crap once it gets dusty

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Still Detailing engines using a 2.5gpm pressure washer carefully.

Using either Meguiars APC+ or Degreaser depending on how dirty and greasy, spray the underhood metal areas and NOT the insulation (with soap). and rinse it all clean with the pressure washer..

Blow it all dry with Master Blaster, leave hood up as long as possible to get the water to come out of the hood insulation,

Start the car for a few minutes to help dry it further, and its good to go for the next stage..

Leave the hood up that day and night as much as possible to help drain water off the underside of it, and improve drying in the compartment..

Next day, apply the appropriate plastic conditioner, etc., and they look fabulous !!!

And never had one not start up and run perfectly - ever -...

Note - would not recommend this process on Ferrari and other exotics that have lots of connectors that are not as waterproof as you would like..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have any hyper dressing? If you do, expect a stunning engine. Clean as usuall with a good apc. You do not have to let it dry. Spray it down with HD at 4:1 4 water/1 HD. Walk away! Do not touch! It will set up to a perfect engine.....
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I like Hyper Dressing too..

Trouble with it for me, is that it doesnt last very long at all..

Have had great success with C/Guys Black on Black Spray... You spray it everywhere including all the places you cant reach, let it set up to almost dry, and wipe it down with an old microfiber, to set up the degree of gloss you want..

It dries hard and is not greasy and dirt/dust attracting...

Clients love it ! They never knew their engines could be so clean and look so new again..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Still Detailing engines using a 2.5gpm pressure washer carefully.

Using either Meguiars APC+ or Degreaser depending on how dirty and greasy, spray the underhood metal areas and NOT the insulation (with soap). and rinse it all clean with the pressure washer..

Blow it all dry with Master Blaster, leave hood up as long as possible to get the water to come out of the hood insulation,

Start the car for a few minutes to help dry it further, and its good to go for the next stage..

Leave the hood up that day and night as much as possible to help drain water off the underside of it, and improve drying in the compartment..

Next day, apply the appropriate plastic conditioner, etc., and they look fabulous !!!

And never had one not start up and run perfectly - ever -...

Note - would not recommend this process on Ferrari and other exotics that have lots of connectors that are not as waterproof as you would like..
    Dan F

no pressure washer
    no master blaster. not sure wiring will handle it

Quote Originally Posted by PA DETAILER View Post
    Do you have any hyper dressing? If you do, expect a stunning engine. Clean as usuall with a good apc. You do not have to let it dry. Spray it down with HD at 4:1 4 water/1 HD. Walk away! Do not touch! It will set up to a perfect engine.....
    heard hd is nice, so it`ll be that or the sonus

Post Thanks / Like

Another mention would be SONUS MOTOR & TRIM KOTE. A little more work to apply, but a very good product.

SONUS....

http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...trim-kote.html
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA DETAILER View Post
    Another mention would be SONUS MOTOR & TRIM KOTE. A little more work to apply, but a very good product.

SONUS....

http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...trim-kote.html
    look up

Post Thanks / Like

Ronny, I did the C4 Trim restorer on the panels under the hood. I do the paint with APC and a coating 1x on the paint under hood for the life of the car. After that ONR wipedowns.

Post Thanks / Like

I am no expert but I will be doing an apc spray down, letting it dwell for a minute, then agitating with a boars hair brush, then spraying down with the pw on fan, then drying with my sidekick, then dressing with PERL at 3:1.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information