Thread: Wheel Brighter

Post Thanks / Like

Wheel Brighter

Ive been looking around on different sites and on youtube. I saw a video on youtube where the guy was using wheel brighter and i just want to know if wheel brighter was safe for chrome rims and how its actually used? Ive never used it and ive been hearing about it alot more then I used to. Also what is the best wheel brighter out on the market. Also i need to find a good brush to used on my chrome rims

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wheel Brighter

Quote Originally Posted by lilbraze87 View Post
    Ive been looking around on different sites and on youtube. I saw a video on youtube where the guy was using wheel brighter and i just want to know if wheel brighter was safe for chrome rims and how its actually used? Ive never used it and ive been hearing about it alot more then I used to. Also what is the best wheel brighter out on the market. Also i need to find a good brush to used on my chrome rims
    If you are talking about a wax if you will for the rims..I would suggest Poorboys World Wheel Sealant
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    I assume yr talking about Meg`s Wheel Brightener - the acid wheel cleaner. It will clean your wheels like no other. However, there is some controversy how safe it is. Acid wheel cleaners *should* be safe on true chromed metal.

A couple of points:

1. If your wheels are nasty, use WB to clean them once. Then, use a milder maintenance wheel cleaner. My guess is continued use of WB could POSSIBLY damage ANY wheel if used over and over on it as a no touch wheel cleaner. It certainly isn`t great for plastic center caps and can damage those.

2. Never use WB on hot wheels.

3. Be careful when using WB. Don`t get it on your skin, drink it, or spray it in your eyes. Don`t breath it in. Wear gloves. Trust me here. I never wear gloves for ANYTHING - but, I do wear gloves when using WB.

4. Rinse wheel extremely well!

5. WB may damage the finish on your calipers, or if you have painted rotor hats. It`s hardcore stuff. So, if you have Brembo painted calipers - don`t use it.

6. Always dilute WB as directed before use. I think your supposed to add water first - then WB - to avoid the acid from splashing. But, I could have that backwards. Just be careful and don`t mix it in your living room.

7. Most sprayers (all?) will be destroyed by WB. The only way to really avoid it is to rinse the sprayer out after each use and pump some water through it. I just got the "acid sprayer" from Poor Boys. I haven`t used it yet, but they still recommend rinsing it out. WB will destroy chemical resistant sprayers.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wheel Brighter

Just to reiterate, when done using wheel brightner, flush it by pumping clear water through your sprayer.

With that said, I ONLY would use wheel brightener with wheels off. It`s pretty strong stuff.

I don`t wet the wheels though, Spray, dwell, (don`t let it dry), scrub and rinse VERY well. I would NOT use it on Chrome Rims though. In the *name sense* , it will not make your chrome brighter.

Chrome has a slight bluish hue. Polished Aluminum, when very Highly polished, is very Bright.

I would use a soft *used, old, work washmitt* to clean your wheels.
    Then use varying levels of metal polish.
    If it`s fairly worn, go medium then fine polish.

Thread Information